I guess Irbes not good enough for Bylsma

Brawndo

Head coaches usually bring in their own assistants. Not really surprising.

It is kind of a bummer but I sort of assumed Irbe was a long shot because of the new coach factor. That he made it this long and through the initial head coaching hire means he was held in high regard by GMTM et al.

Nothing against Irbe but how can you tell if a goaltending coach is doing a good job? Who was Hasek's coach? Was he great because Hasek was? Just asking.  It's like a QB coach...how do  you know if they're any good if the player is not.

Edited by nucci

Nothing against Irbe but how can you tell if a goaltending coach is doing a good job? Who was Hasek's coach? Was he great because Hasek was? Just asking.  It's like a QB coach...how do  you know if they're any good if the player is not.

I think in this case its pretty easy as you had 3 goalies who played very well with Buffalo and pretty bad on the teams they were traded to.

If that isn't good enough I don't know what would be.

I think in this case its pretty easy as you had 3 goalies who played very well with Buffalo and pretty bad on the teams they were traded to.

If that isn't good enough I don't know what would be.

We had two goalies who played well. Enroth was bad here last season. Everyone points to his one hot streak, but cumulatively his sv% was well below league average.

HC needs a goalie coach suited to the defensive system he's putting in place.  Irbe seemed to do well with Nolan's system.  It's not unreasonable to think that Irbe's style may not mesh with Bylsma's defensive system.

Oh well, them's the breaks.

HC needs a goalie coach suited to the defensive system he's putting in place. Irbe seemed to do well with Nolan's system. It's not unreasonable to think that Irbe's style may not mesh with Bylsma's defensive system.

Oh well, them's the breaks.

I was going to point this out. I wanted Irbe back just because it made sense and I wanted a full coaching staff. The concern about his coaching only working with goalies in Nolan's system is a fair one, I think.

Hopefully it was his loyalty to Ted Nolan and that he did not want to stay with a new staff

Or maybe Bylsma wants to bring his own guy in.  Irbe had time left on his contract so he stayed on staff pending the hiring of the head coach.  He may have hung around until a new goalie coach was identified.  I would expect a new goalie coach to be announced very soon.

Or maybe Bylsma wants to bring his own guy in.  Irbe had time left on his contract so he stayed on staff pending the hiring of the head coach.  He may have hung around until a new goalie coach was identified.  I would expect a new goalie coach to be announced very soon.

Bylsma said he spoke to three of them at the draft and that we would likely sign one soon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.