Around the NHL: 2015-2016

LGR4GM

John Scott sent down to the AHL.   Does that mean he's no longer eligible for the All-Star game?

Also, Zadorov called up.

Zadorov posted 8 goals and 10 assists in 28 games with the AHL's Rampage.

Edited by pi2000

John Scott sent down to the AHL.   Does that mean he's no longer eligible for the All-Star game?

Also, Zadorov called up.

Zadorov posted 8 goals and 10 assists in 28 games with the AHL's Rampage.

Arizona said he will be called up again prior to the game. If he isn't in the NHL then he isn't eligible for the game.

How this got 4 games and Myers got off with nothing, I'll never know.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=797599

Sam Bennett just scored his 4th goal of the game against the Panthers.  Career night.

Flames shout out Florida 6-0.

That was a brutal game. If you're gonna end a streak at 13 games, might as well do it in style.

I guess I don't understand how one year later, presumably with a higher cap, Kopitar gets a half million less than Toews. Hometown discount?

Because Toews is overrated? And yes, I believe you can be a top 10 player in the league and still be overrated. Toews is paid like the best player in the league, and he's not. He's a great player, not the best. Or maybe Kopitar is just underrated. That seems likely. I agree Kopitar is every bit the player Toews is, and it's not an opinion that would be met with much agreement, I would wager.

Not saying that Toews isn't worth what he is getting paid, that is what the market dictated he was worth at the time of his signing. But I could see Kopitar being unable to get the same amount as Toews in a deal, due to being perceived as worth less.

Edited by Thorny

Because Toews is overrated? And yes, I believe you can be a top 10 player in the league and still be overrated. Toews is paid like the best player in the league, and he's not. He's a great player, not the best. Or maybe Kopitar is just underrated. That seems likely. I agree Kopitar is every bit the player Toews is, and it's not an opinion that would be met with much agreement, I would wager.

Toews is a top 5, maybe top 3 player in this league, depending on how much you value scoring over overall play. He is the captain of a modern NHL dynasty, he is not overrated

Edited by WildCard

Toews is a top 5, maybe top 3 player in this league, depending on how much you value scoring over overall play. He is the captain of a modern NHL dynasty, he is not overrated

You aren't a top 3 player in the league when you are 41st in scoring. I don't care how good you are defensively. Unless maybe if you are a defenseman. He is not being paid 10+ million to score 32 points. He is overrated, because he is often rated as the best player in hockey. Which he is not. He could be the second best player in the league and be overrated. I'm using the term literally, not in the buzz-word sense.

Edited by Thorny

You aren't a top 3 player in the league when you are 41st in scoring. I don't care how good you are defensively. Unless maybe if you are a defenseman. He is not being paid 10+ million to score 32 points. He is overrated, because he is often rated as the best player in hockey. Which he is not. He could be the second best player in the league and be overrated. I'm using term literally, not in the buzz-word sense.

So he's overrated because he's having an uncharacteristically bad scoring year? Does that mean Crosby and Getzlaf are overrated too?

Edited by WildCard

So he's overrated because he's having an uncharacteristically bad scoring year? Does that mean Crosby and Getzlaf are overrated too?

That's the thing, it's not that uncharacteristically bad. Toews scoring totals have been trending downwards since the lockout shortened year, but his 82 game pace this year of 58 points, while lower than his other seasons, is not that drastically different from his usual past seasons of high 60s. He's a high 60 point scorer, with a great defensive game and really good leadership. He's a great player. Top 10 in the league I think. But I think he is overrated because he is (or was) widely considered a top 1-2 player.

Kopitar is statistically similar is nearly every way, do you ever hear him being called the top player in the NHL? Even top 10? I don't know if it's a European bias or something else, but Kopitar defnitely doesn't get anywhere near the recognition Toews does.

And it's not like Kopitar's under appreciation relative to Toews started after Toews got his additional Cup. The narrative was the same when they both had 2.

Edited by Thorny

That's the thing, it's not that uncharacteristically bad. Toews scoring totals have been trending downwards since the lockout shortened year, but his 82 game pace this year of 58 points, while lower than his other seasons, is not that drastically different from his usual past seasons of high 60s. He's a high 60 point scorer, with a great defensive game and really good leadership. He's a great player. Top 10 in the league I think. But I think he is overrated because he is (or was) widely considered a top 1-2 player.

Kopitar is statistically similar is nearly every way, do you ever hear him being called the top player in the NHL? Even top 10? I don't know if it's a European bias or something else, but Kopitar defnitely doesn't get anywhere near the recognition Toews does.

And it's not like Kopitar's under appreciation relative to Toews started after Toews got his additional Cup. The narrative was the same when they both had 2.

I agree. If the term 'overrated' is used in the correct context it describes Toews perfectly. He's a great player, but he's not the elite level some consider him to be. Neither Toews nor Kopitar are worth the contracts they were given. At least Toews' contract started when he was 27, Kopitar's contract won't start until he's 29.

So Reinhart, then Domi, now Bennett, all on consecutive nights IIRC, or with one day missing between. So one of, Larkin, Eichel, and Duclair should at least get one this weekend.

Duclair got one in October. Is Gaudreau a rookie, or is this his son second year?

Kopitar being underrated does not mean Toews is overrated

Toews isn't a top 10 player, and he's not even a top 2 player on his own team.

Kane

Seguin

Benn

Keith 

Toews

Crosby

Kopitar

Karlsson

Price

Ovechkin

And yes, I'd rather have Toews than Keith. That list can be argued to have Doughty and Josi, but I don't think either replace Toews

Edited by WildCard

Kane

Seguin

Benn

Keith 

Toews

Crosby

Kopitar

Karlsson

Price

Ovechkin

And yes, I'd rather have Toews than Keith. That list can be argued to have Doughty and Josi, but I don't think either replace Toews

I'm not sure Crosby belongs on that list any more. Even before this year, he doesn't seem to have "it" like he did early in his career.

Kane

Seguin

Benn

Keith

Toews

Crosby

Kopitar

Karlsson

Price

Ovechkin

This list is not close to mine.

Toews is similar to Kopitar, hard to say which one I'd rank higher, but I think I have Bergeron slightly ahead of both, and that's just defensive centers. I can try to come up with a list later

Edited by Randall Flagg

And Zack Kassian called up from the A this morning......

Over/under on games played before he's suspended, by the team or the league.

Arizona said he will be called up again prior to the game. If he isn't in the NHL then he isn't eligible for the game.

What happens if a team outside his division claims him when they call him up? :)

I agree. If the term 'overrated' is used in the correct context it describes Toews perfectly. He's a great player, but he's not the elite level some consider him to be. Neither Toews nor Kopitar are worth the contracts they were given. At least Toews' contract started when he was 27, Kopitar's contract won't start until he's 29.

Toews name comes up routinely as the player people would take first if they had to start a team from scratch.  I think that says all I need about him.  Respectable hockey people too.

The Ducks have gotten points in 8 of their last 10, and sit 1 point out of a playoff spot.

Don't know if anyone posted this, but Torres is activated as sent to the Shark's AHL affiliate

Had forgotten all about Torres.

How long before he's suspended again?