Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

I don't agree with this at all (other than the shot at Garrioch, who is a bozo; Larry Brooks, OTOH is much more plugged into the Rangers than any WNY Sabres media member is).

What is the bolded based on?

Good insight.  Thanks.

Good point regarding agents.  I see no reason why local guys can't cultivate relationships with agents -- and I'm confident that many do.

Let's do a pinned thread when local guys around the country know something is happening more then 24 hours before it happens. Its all anecdotal stories, similar to watching highlight shows and thinking that McDavid is averaging a point a shift.

As far as the bolded part, several local writers have been officers within the sportswriters groups and anecdotally, I have heard their praises song by the national writers that some seem to revere.

I follow rumors as close as anyone and have yet to see anyone consistently break stories. Sure there are a lot of good local reporters, and Hoss mentions one I follow. To say no one had a clue about Weber is wrong, everyone knew he was going and Washington was mentioned a few times. Sometimes writers don't feel it is their jobs to break rumors and teams respect that. I have gotten several tweets from my "garage attendant"(PA will remember)  informing me of trades and signings hours before they were announced but I know my guys wouldn't tell me any sooner and they know that I would never ask them to.

Let's do a pinned thread when local guys around the country know something is happening more then 24 hours before it happens. Its all anecdotal stories, similar to watching highlight shows and thinking that McDavid is averaging a point a shift.

As far as the bolded part, several local writers have been officers within the sportswriters groups and anecdotally, I have heard their praises song by the national writers that some seem to revere.

I follow rumors as close as anyone and have yet to see anyone consistently break stories. Sure there are a lot of good local reporters, and Hoss mentions one I follow. To say no one had a clue about Weber is wrong, everyone knew he was going and Washington was mentioned a few times. Sometimes writers don't feel it is their jobs to break rumors and teams respect that. I have gotten several tweets from my "garage attendant"(PA will remember)  informing me of trades and signings hours before they were announced but I know my guys wouldn't tell me any sooner and they know that I would never ask them to.

Well, I think more than 24 hours in advance is an unrealistic standard, especially around the deadline.

I also think you're overstating the Weber point -- it was pretty clear to everyone that GMTM was going to unload the pending UFAs -- so no one was claiming that the WNY media "didn't have a clue" that he was going to be traded.  But OTOH, I don't think any WNY media member reported that the Caps were going to be the other team in the trade, or that the trade was imminent -- and I also think it's fair to say that the local hockey guys almost-never-to-never have any advance knowledge of any big Sabres moves.

With guys like Harrington and Gleason, I'd guess that their antagonistic attitudes toward the team have resulted in them having zero team sources who are willing to give them this kind of info.

In any case, I'll invite anyone who's interested to post any advance tweets/reports by local hockey guys in other markets that prove out -- recognizing that it's important to distinguish between "Player XYZ could get moved" speculation stories and "my information is that Player XYZ is going to be traded imminently to either Team A or Team B" reports.

Well, I think more than 24 hours in advance is an unrealistic standard, especially around the deadline.

I also think you're overstating the Weber point -- it was pretty clear to everyone that GMTM was going to unload the pending UFAs -- so no one was claiming that the WNY media "didn't have a clue" that he was going to be traded. But OTOH, I don't think any WNY media member reported that the Caps were going to be the other team in the trade, or that the trade was imminent -- and I also think it's fair to say that the local hockey guys almost-never-to-never have any advance knowledge of any big Sabres moves.

With guys like Harrington and Gleason, I'd guess that their antagonistic attitudes toward the team have resulted in them having zero team sources who are willing to give them this kind of info.

In any case, I'll invite anyone who's interested to post any advance tweets/reports by local hockey guys in other markets that prove out -- recognizing that it's important to distinguish between "Player XYZ could get moved" speculation stories and "my information is that Player XYZ is going to be traded imminently to either Team A or Team B" reports.

We will just have to disagree on this point but I will say that the they have zero sources thing is also incorrect. Just like not every player on the team likes each other, not everyone in the organization feels the same way. For example, people would like to believe that Ryan Miller and Gleson hated each other but they had a tremendous amount of respect for each other and conversed regularly about the team while he was here. Edited by tom webster

I can't stand him, at all. He puts up Ennis numbers but is more expensive, and unlike Ennis, he's not willing to take abuse to score, he dives all over the place, and acts like he's going to be shot by a sniper if he approaches an area where he might be within 15 yards of another body. And his stupid face is oh so punchable. He's everything everyone always hated about Derek Roy, except he dives more and produces less, all while managing to be a black hole defensively. He disgusts me.

You were doing so well up to that point.  It seems too personal now to take it seriously.  Although I do agree with you.. about his abilities.  I don't care about his face. :)

I'll wait to see what happens during the upcoming trade deadlines, but I will say that my distinct impression is that the local hockey writers get scooped by national writers on the regular.

Having said that, I think that is more a function of what seems to have been a successful effort to freeze out the local media, rather than a result of any deficiency on the part of the local media.

Interesting article from Custance on "who says no" trades.

http://espn.go.com/blog/craig-custance/insider/post?id=7145

He asks executives who says no in fan-proposed trades. One of them is Darnell Nurse and a first for OEL. He says Arizona only does it if the first is Auston Matthews.

espn insider only  :(

I'll wait to see what happens during the upcoming trade deadlines, but I will say that my distinct impression is that the local hockey writers get scooped by national writers on the regular.

Having said that, I think that is more a function of what seems to have been a successful effort to freeze out the local media, rather than a result of any deficiency on the part of the local media.

I think the deficiency of the local media is a big part of the reason there was an effort to freeze them out.

I think the deficiency of the local media is a big part of the reason there was an effort to freeze them out.

Hmm. Maybe. 

Do recall, though, Pegula's utter nonsense in that editorial meeting, where he essentially claimed that the writers should say nicer things about the players, and that the media's criticism was part of the team's problems and the players' failure to meet expectations.

I think the freeze-out is part of a desire to control the message.

I've always had an interest in Nail Yakupov, his speed and his hands is incredible imo, 22 years old, just think he would fit like a glove with jack and jamie.

Comments?

He's just too inconsistent and 1-dimensional for me. It's his 4th year in the league, you think he'd have more goals than Moulson at this point (they both have 5-10-15, Yak has played 21 less games though). Still, he just shows absolutely no sign of development. IMO, he's going to be a bust

I wonder what it would take to pry Galchenyuck out of Montreal, assuming he's willing to play wing/he can for us

Edited by WildCard

He's just too inconsistent and 1-dimensional for me. It's his 4th year in the league, you think he'd have more goals than Moulson at this point (they both have 5-10-15, Yak has played 21 less games though). Still, he just shows absolutely no sign of development. IMO, he's going to be a bust

I dont believe that, but im not saying your wrong either, just think he needs a new environment.

I dont believe that, but im not saying your wrong either, just think he needs a new environment.

He may. He's going to be very hard pressed to find himself surrounded by more talent than he is currently. Hall and everyone else on that team puts up numbers but him. 

It is not good to get on nfreeman's bad side..... LOL

He has more than that?

I think you guys need to hate ######

Clap, clap, clap :worthy:

Wait, is this really a thing now :unsure:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.