Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

:lol: I actually thought about that.  My thinking was that Hawerchuk probably raked up about 40-50  pts a year on the  on the powerplay. 

But okay. Since 1994. 

(I'm being a little optimistic). :)

He would have collected more points with a broom. 

GO SABRES!!!

I doubt it was them. Hiller played very well for them last year, and still has one more year on their contract. IIRC the two 2nd's weren't specifically from this year

Interesting point. 

Hiller has one more year and will turn 34 next season . And Talbot fits their pay scale at 1.45 Million for the next year. He makes a ton of sense for them.

Isn't this only the best draft in a decade because of the top two picks? If Strome/Hanifin/Marner were vying for #1 it'd just be average to a little above average. That's my understanding anyway.

My take is that this year is better because of the big two and the overall volume of potential pros.

The next tier (Hanifan-Meier/Connor) is also perceived to deeper than the similar tier last year, but not better.

In my view, Hanifan is the only one who could have broken into last year's top four.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/leafs-beat/mirtle-nhl-teams-ready-to-move-picks-and-stars-as-trade-talks-heat-up/article25051119/?cmpid=rss1&click=dlvr.it

James Mirtle mentions that Duchene could be dealt if the Avs don't get what they want for O'Reilly... Yes please.

I actually like O'Reilly more than Duchene in today's NHL. He has less offensive upside, but is a better possession player, better defensively, and doesn't have an injury history. Duchene's primary advantage in a deal is cost certainty.

I actually like O'Reilly more than Duchene in today's NHL. He has less offensive upside, but is a better possession player, better defensively, and doesn't have an injury history. Duchene's primary advantage in a deal is cost certainty.

Duchene also will bring in a bigger return, perhaps let Colorado retool their whole roster. My personal favourite would be Landeskog, but that isn't happening anytime soon. ROR is better for us than Duchene as well because he is more used to playing wing. We have a glut of centres now, and Eichel and Reinhart will be our 1-2, so we don't need another offensive focused centre

@TSNAaronWard: Much like NYR and Talbot, VAN has multiple offers on Lack. Hearing BUFF among most interested. #TSN

Of course Buffalo is among most interested in any goalie on the market.

I'm really curious if Murray prefers one option over the others and is prepared to pay a premium to get that guy.

Personally, I offer #51 to the Canucks, Rangers and Sens and sit back wait for the first one to bite.

If we miss out, there are plenty of free agents out there.

I'm really curious if Murray prefers one option over the others and is prepared to pay a premium to get that guy.

Personally, I offer #51 to the Canucks, Rangers and Sens and sit back wait for the first one to bite.

Yep, no reason to give up this, that and the other when it's a buyers market this offseason for goalies. Decent number will be available, but there are few spots open for them.

Everybody keeps wanting to fall back on free agents, but there's only two appealing names out there: Niemi and Ramo. Niemi will likely get somebody to bite for a solid contract. Ramo I'm interested in. Dubnyk wants over $5M a year and likely re-signs. I'm not interested in him at that number yet.

I would rather have Lack or Lehner than the free agents.

I also don't think anybody is paying "a premium" for any of these goalies.

GMTM should be calling around to ask prices. Given what's out there, especially with UFAs I don't see a need to overpay on draft day.

I like it.

Everybody keeps wanting to fall back on free agents, but there's only two appealing names out there: Niemi and Ramo. Niemi will likely get somebody to bite for a solid contract. Ramo I'm interested in. Dubnyk wants over $5M a year and likely re-signs. I'm not interested in him at that number yet.

I would rather have Lack or Lehner than the free agents.

I also don't think anybody is paying "a premium" for any of these goalies.

Minny, San Jose, Edmonton and Buffalo need starting goalies. 

Dubnyk, Niemi, Fasth, Enroth, Neuvirth, Lindback, Anderson/Lehner, Lack/Markstrom, Talbot and Ramo are definitely available. Paying a premium will get us someone serviceable. Musical chairs will leave us with the same.

There is no guarantee the pick of the litter will be any better than last year's Neuvirth/Enroth combo.

Most have track records as good backups/adequate starters.

Somebody will emerge to be more than that, but I sure as hell can't tell you who.

Personally, Lehner is the only available goalie that stands out for me, and only because he is younger and was a highly-touted guy we may be able to buy-low on. And he was terrible last year.

Edited by dudacek

This would be an interesting development on the goalie market considering reports that he was close to a new deal in LA...

Dreger: LA's Martin Jones remains a prime trade target on the goalie market. Moving him east sounds like preferred option for Kings brass. #TSN

This would be an interesting development on the goalie market considering reports that he was close to a new deal in LA...

Dreger: LA's Martin Jones remains a prime trade target on the goalie market. Moving him east sounds like preferred option for Kings brass. #TSN

Id be very happy about that. And it's nice to think Buff and LA have trade history. As long as Richards is not some how linked to it, I'd be pleased if it was a balanced trade.

I hope not. I don't think any of these goalies are worth paying a premium -- certainly not 2 second round picks (as was rumored to have been declined for Talbot). We don't need to find our long-term, franchise goalie this summer. Goalies come and go around the league every year. 

Id be very happy about that. And it's nice to think Buff and LA have trade history. As long as Richards is not some how linked to it, I'd be pleased if it was a balanced trade.

Martin Jones definitely interests me more than the others. If only Richards' deal was a year or two shorter then I would entertain the idea of a cap relief trade. But like the rest of the world, I am not interested in Richards eating up almost 6 million until 2020. 

That's who I want

If we offer our second 1st for Cam Talbot, my head is going to explode. Luckily, I think Murray is too smart to do that.

I'll go one step further, TM is an IDIOT if he even gives up #31 for Talbot, who is a goalie with limited experience.  Too many options out there rather than giving up #31 which is basically a 1st round pick.

I already think he gave up too much in both the Kings and Jets deals, I have my fingers crossed that he doesn't get bent over during draft weekend.

Jeff Skinner's name out there quite a bit. Four more years at $5.725 M cap hit ($6 M salary). Carolina definitely open to moving him...

Also, on Martin Jones: if the price is a whole lot more than a 2nd it might just be worth offer sheeting him at the top of the 2nd round slotting. LA seems to not want to pay him a lot and if they want more than a 2nd for him we might as well force their hand.

Edited by Hoss

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.