Trade ideas and speculation

Hoss

Heard on wgr that the Toronto Sun is reporting the Leafs think Phaneuf is salvageable, and Buffalo may be in on Sharp

Sorry WildCard, but the first three words of your post makes me disbelieve the remaining 19.

I just shake my head. I haven't much listened to WGR in years. 

My point exactly. Me either.

They played badly to acquire assets.  Assets that could be developed OR moved as needed to acquire other assets.  Murray is on record as saying he wants an accelerated rebuild, and that he is willing to move prospects and picks for other young players to make that happen.  It's almost inevitable that some of what we've acquired by losing is going to be shipped off for different parts.

You are focusing only on one of many things GMTM said.  He also said that Bylsma is a teacher and can be patient with young talent, implying the keystone pieces will be playing here rather than in the A.  He also said that you build through the draft.  He also said that that he does not expect to compete for a PO spot next year.  People are putting there own desire to be a miracle team next year ahead of the more likely prospect letting young players develop before you move them.  Not you personally but many posters clamoring for trades. 

You are focusing only on one of many things GMTM said.  He also said that Bylsma is a teacher and can be patient with young talent, implying the keystone pieces will be playing here rather than in the A.  He also said that you build through the draft.  He also said that that he does not expect to compete for a PO spot next year.  People are putting there own desire to be a miracle team next year ahead of the more likely prospect letting young players develop before you move them.  Not you personally but many posters clamoring for trades. 

Maybe, but you can't deny fans tend to get married to prospects. Meanwhile, I think the Kane trade shows he's perfectly willing to move prospects, even those he drafted, for a young NHL player. That's what makes this all so fun to talk about--it really feels like anything and everything is on the table.

I agree the banter is fun, but my hope is he is committed to a longer view. I think one makes better decisions when there isn't a sense of urgency. 

Edited by 3putt

@cmorganfoxaz: Maloney: "The only way we're going to trade down is to get young player who can be part of that Domi, Duclair, Perlini group going forward."

RNH.  What about RNH and #16 for #3 and #30?  Edmonton could then draft Marner to play with Strome.  Arizona gets RNH and a mid 1st round pick.  Everybody gets better, no one really wins the trade outright.

RNH.  What about RNH and #16 for #3 and #30?  Edmonton could then draft Marner to play with Strome.  Arizona gets RNH and a mid 1st round pick.  Everybody gets better, no one really wins the trade outright.

Do you mean McDavid to play with Strome or Strome to play with McDavid?  And if their getting #3 they better be taking Hanifen or Provorov. 

Edited by TheCerebral1

I agree the banter is fun, but my hope is he is committed to a longer view. I think one makes better decisions when there isn't a sense of urgency. 

I'm not sure there's a sense of urgency.  But established, high ceiling players under 25 don't become available very often.  When they do I want GMTM to be making the inquiries and be prepared to strike if the opportunity arises.  Only players that fit within this teams timeframe however (ie. nobody over 27 or 28).

Where is all this trade Reinhart stuff coming from? Did I miss something?

Haven't heard a single report he is available. Seen plenty of fantasy trade scenarios.

Not sure what you mean Marner/Strome.

Trading either RNH or Draisaitl for three and drafting Hanifan makes more sense to me.

Haven't heard a single report he is available. Seen plenty of fantasy trade scenarios.

Not sure what you mean Marner/Strome.

Trading either RNH or Draisaitl for three and drafting Hanifan makes more sense to me.

Yeap. They make the deal for Hanifin.

They've already got Hall/Eberle to play with McDavid. And more.

Edited by Hoss

RNH. What about RNH and #16 for #3 and #30? Edmonton could then draft Marner to play with Strome. Arizona gets RNH and a mid 1st round pick. Everybody gets better, no one really wins the trade outright.

Edmonton would have to be insane to trade RNH. He slots in perfectly behind McDavid.

Do you mean McDavid to play with Strome or Strome to play with McDavid?  And if their getting #3 they better be taking Hanifen or Provorov. 

Sorry I mean Marner with McDavid. Two highly skilled, amazing skaters playing with one another.

Edmonton would have to be insane to trade RNH. He slots in perfectly behind McDavid.

What about Draisaitl?  

Still I don't wanna look around the league in a few years and think ... look zadorov is awesome, reinhart is awesome. we had them ... yeah we got other awesome players in return but I don't only look at skill. playing style is important for me as well and especially zadorov can be that guy down the road (like Hedman for example) who takes things into his own hands when its getting serious.

I think this is the old Regier approach and what everyone faulted him for. Can't trade away prospects for current developed players because they may turn out to be good elsewhere. They had to see exactly what they had in these guys at the NHL level before possibly moving them which usually gets you less when everyone has seen what they can do

Benning confident he will have his goalie traded tonight or tomorrow.

TSN reports that Kevin Bieksa being asked to waive his no-trade.

Bieksa is old — a badger with barbed personality — and coming off a bad year.

Not clear if he's still a good 2nd-pairing guy, or simply a cap dump.

Could see Buffalo taking him on packaged with Lack or Markstrom.

Edited by dudacek

I would be beyond pissed if they traded Eichel or Reinhart because those guys were our "reward" for putting up with the past 2 shittastic seasons we've all endured. My actual untouchable list would also include Ristolainen, Girgensons, and Zadorov in addition to those 2 guys and then there's a couple others that I wouldn't move unless someone overpaid.

Still I don't wanna look around the league in a few years and think ... look zadorov is awesome, reinhart is awesome. we had them ... yeah we got other awesome players in return but I don't only look at skill. playing style is important for me as well and especially zadorov can be that guy down the road (like Hedman for example) who takes things into his own hands when its getting serious.

I hear you. We are not going to trade Reinhart.

Speaking only for myself, it depends on who's on display.

I cried laughing.

I think this is the old Regier approach and what everyone faulted him for. Can't trade away prospects for current developed players because they may turn out to be good elsewhere. They had to see exactly what they had in these guys at the NHL level before possibly moving them which usually gets you less when everyone has seen what they can do

I agree with this to a fair extent. You can't be afraid to move prospects for proven talent. Murray has proved he will do this with the Kane deal. And I think that is going to prove to be a great trade.

But to echo others, we won't be trading Reinhart. This kid is going to be the ice-in-his-veins #2 center in our playoff runs, quiet intensity on display as he shuts down other teams top players and contributes on the scoresheet. Samson will be the guy who scores that goal when you need it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.