Making SabreSpace more friendly to new posters

nfreeman

I have been a member and avid reader of this board since 05. I was under a different name and forgot it. This, and two bills I check,and read daily. I rarely post.

At times members come across either harsh,or defensive, or no it all type mentality. Although, not as much as two bills. I have seen where users with thousands of posts get away with murder on these two sites, where users with fewer posts get warning points much quicker.

Just my two cents. I know this post is all over the place.

I will say that I really do enjoy the varying opinions, and discussion.

People will give you a break.  After all you forgot your own name!

Chime in more often.. but this time, remember who you are.

I have been a member and avid reader of this board since 05. I was under a different name and forgot it. 

People will give you a break.  After all you forgot your own name!

Chime in more often.. but this time, remember who you are.

Here's a fun way to remember the name. DirtDart rhymes w/ fart. Farts are dirty. So you have DirtDart!  :nana:

Edited by Thanes16

• 1 month later...

In my experience, it would help if you didn't accuse every new poster of being an undercover banned poster.  Because, why would anyone new want to post here?  The few times a new poster shows up, I've noticed, you treat them like lepers.

Nfreeman and SDS don't act like "moderators," in the true sense of the word.  They tend to dictate the conversation in the way that they see fit.  That's not "moderation," but they don't give a damn.  Moderation allows the flow of conversation to take place within boundaries.  SDS and nfreeman stick their rudders in and yank in the direction that they see fit.  That's fine, as a poster, but on a board without any accessible rules of conduct, they do not make the board friendly to newcomers.

There is also a culture of hazing new posters to test their limits.  It's amusing, I'm sure.

In my experience, it would help if you didn't accuse every new poster of being an undercover banned poster. Because, why would anyone new want to post here? The few times a new poster shows up, I've noticed, you treat them like lepers.

Nfreeman and SDS don't act like "moderators," in the true sense of the word. They tend to dictate the conversation in the way that they see fit. That's not "moderation," but they don't give a damn. Moderation allows the flow of conversation to take place within boundaries. SDS and nfreeman stick their rudders in and yank in the direction that they see fit. That's fine, as a poster, but on a board without any accessible rules of conduct, they do not make the board friendly to newcomers.

There is also a culture of hazing new posters to test their limits. It's amusing, I'm sure.

We only accuse the new posters of being other aliases when the clearly are :)

In my experience, it would help if you didn't accuse every new poster of being an undercover banned poster.  Because, why would anyone new want to post here?  The few times a new poster shows up, I've noticed, you treat them like lepers.

Nfreeman and SDS don't act like "moderators," in the true sense of the word.  They tend to dictate the conversation in the way that they see fit.  That's not "moderation," but they don't give a damn.  Moderation allows the flow of conversation to take place within boundaries.  SDS and nfreeman stick their rudders in and yank in the direction that they see fit.  That's fine, as a poster, but on a board without any accessible rules of conduct, they do not make the board friendly to newcomers.

There is also a culture of hazing new posters to test their limits.  It's amusing, I'm sure.

The truth is, freeman and SDS aren't the only moderators.  The members of this community moderate this board.  Freeman was always the pillar of logic with an edge, nothing changed when he became "a mod."

And trolls are trolls.  Even if this particular troll is new to us (which I obviously doubt), he stepped the line and deserved a little PP slap.

Then again... if people ignored the trolling...

The entire reason they are doing it is to gain attention and people routinely give it to them.  Calling them out is not going to reduce the instance of trolling, it adds to it.  It feeds their fire.  Even if they are banned. 

The best bet is to treat them like they don't exist.  Either they elevate their trolling to the point where the mods ban that alias or they quit and go home.

They aren't worth the effort.  It also eliminates any chance of falsely accusing a new poster of being someone else.  In addition, if that new poster has trolling tendencies and they realize no one is responding to them they will either examine their approach and alter it or they will leave.

We know all this and yet people get sucked in.

Why would that help when, in fact, that is exactly who you are?

I'm not even sure how you are posting this because I tried to ban this account, since you are doing an end around your other account which had it's posting privileges removed for 30 days. You have basically treated this board as some weird personal playground solely for your own amusement and not for the betterment of anything.

I'm not even sure how you are posting this because I tried to ban this account, since you are doing an end around your other account which had it's posting privileges removed for 30 days. You have basically treated this board as some weird personal playground solely for your own amusement and not for the betterment of anything.

So -- there are actually people who join here, behave in a really obnoxious manner, get banned, and then try to re-join under other names?

I thought we were talking unicorns and leprechauns, but I guess I was wrong. 

What a freaking loser.

If you are a new poster here, try not being a tool from the moment you walk in the door.  That goes a long way.

Boom.  +1

So -- there are actually people who join here, behave in a really obnoxious manner, get banned, and then try to re-join under other names?

What a freaking loser.

Agreed.  You mods are doing a fine job keeping this community what it is.

What a freaking loser.

That happens frequently. Also, some people sign up for an account, forget their password, etc... and just make a new one. Then they switch back to the other account when the 2nd gets locked out.

I was really hoping Beukebamboom was going to be BamBam. 

nope...

What a freaking loser.

This abusive language will not be tolerated.

I have reported you to the moderators.

That usually results in permanent ban on other forums.  Just sayin'.

This abusive language will not be tolerated.

I have reported you to the moderators.

Nope, wasn't addressed to a specific person.  Anyone who admits to having multiple accounts to get around bannings deserves to be abused (and no, that's not blaming the victim ;) )

I don't know if I can speak for "new comers" but for me, when I joined (in 2005), it was for hoping to get help in learning about the Buffalo area for trips I took my family on - we would go for a game and spend a few days in the area. I never expected to get caught up in the forums as a daily thing. The help I got was fantastic - my daughters loved Chef's, Anchor bar wings, etc..and I appreciated all the help. I liked "hearing" other Sabre fans talk about the team because there are very few in my area. As far as posting, short of being able to offer something new to a conversation, or a viewpoint that didn't seem to be represented, I stay out of it. My sense of the board is that most of you know each other. (I did meet Taro before a game once, that was nice to put a face and person to someone you had been reading.  If my take or opinion is the same as someone else who has already posted I don't see the point in posting.  Outside of Police related topics (too many of those lately by the way - though they have become entertaining) I don't see myself having much to add. I hope I don't offend anyone by getting a daily "Sabre fix" by reading the forum. Never felt unwanted or hassled though by the "regulars". 

How new posters are received comes down to this simple concept for me; do they want to join the conversation or do they want to be the conversation.

We've had many new posters recently. Only the ones that wanted to be the conversation were the ones that were met with resistance, and rightly so. If they get offended and move on, oh, well.

Heheh I'm still slooooowly edging into talking more. You never realize what an idiot you sound like until you start typing!

If I didn't have the potentially perceived "immunity" of being d4rk's (or l1ght, whatever the heck he is this week) old lady, I think I would've lurked forever. 

I haven't seen a new poster here get treated poorly here for awhile as long as they didn't act like a complete troll. And the new posters that do act like trolls are almost exclusively duplicate accounts. I think this board has gotten much friendlier over the past year, and I think almost all the members here are extremely welcoming to new members and encourage them to post.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.