WildCard

And now that that's done, on to the draft...

Didn't watch a moment of the Finals.  Had zero interest in Hawks versus 'Ning.  Did check in each day to see where the series stood.  

Hawks have to be the model of somethings old, somethings new, somethings borrowed....

Nothing but respect for the champs.

I can't ever recall being more impressed with a Dman than I was with Keith in these playoffs. His combination of skills is truly unique.

I read that Tyler Johnson broke his wrist early in the series. Man... .

As for TrueBlue's question re Timonen, I can't imagine feeling in any way diminished after winning the most elusive prize in sports. No way.

1) That was a great, great series. Speed, skill, evenly matched teams...couldn't ask for more. Shame we didn't get a game 7.

2) A Dman winning the Conn Smythe is awesome.

3) Had a conversation with a friend last night about Timonen. I feel like if I were a great player, but didn't win the Cup until I was a hasbeen, the feeling of accomplishment would be diminished at least a little. My friend strongly disagreed. Thoughts?

4) I'll always find it fascinating the reputations players get among fans and in the media. If Stamkos last name were Crosby or Ovechkin, he'd be getting crushed for lack of production. As is, it's just sort of "he needed to do more" but the commentary feels to me like it's missing the vitriol other players get. Meanwhile, I believe the broadcast mentioned Toews only has 3 goals in Cup Final games, and is known as one of the most clutch players in the game. I guess the old "winning solves everything" applies to more than just locker room dysfunction.

6) I'm conscious at 6 AM. Words cannot describe how awful this is. If it were Thursday I'd probably spend all my free time today posting in the complaint thread.

Wasn't Ray Borque a has-been when he won his Cup?

Thought I heard Doc E. say that only six Blackhawks have been around to win all three cups the last six years. Yes, that's a testament to the talented core they developed, but it's also an indication of how good their management is. Amazing, really. 

7 core players have won all three cups: Hjalmarsson, Hossa, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, and Toews.

Cups 1 and 2 were won by Bolland as well.

Cups 2 and 3 were won by Bickell, Crawford, Oduya, Kruger, Rozsival, Shaw, and Saad.  

Of course Versteeg won the first, left, came back, and won the third.

If you have the right key pieces (7 is enough) the rest can be plug and play guys and you can enjoy a lot of success

You still have to plug in and play the right supporting cast though, and for the last 2 Cups, Chicago has enjoyed some nice continuity with the same 15 guys if you include Versteeg who was part of the first win. 

Edited by Kruppstahl

And now that that's done, on to the draft...

Didn't watch a moment of the Finals. Had zero interest in Hawks versus 'Ning. Did check in each day to see where the series stood.

Hawks have to be the model of somethings old, somethings new, somethings borrowed....

Suit yourself, but you missed some awesome hockey.

Suit yourself, but you missed some awesome hockey.

Once the summer is upon me, if my Sabres are not in it, I have a hard time finding the interest.  I would rather be outside or doing just about anything else. 

Once the summer is upon me, if my Sabres are not in it, I have a hard time finding the interest.  I would rather be outside or doing just about anything else. 

If I lived in North America, I think I would just put hockey on in the background whilst I did whatever I was doing - e.g. cooking dinner. But when I have to stay up late, i'll generally be picky about what I watch - and including the playoffs, this is still about 95% Sabres.

7 core players have won all three cups: Hjalmarsson, Hossa, Kane, Keith, Seabrook, Sharp, and Toews.

Cups 1 and 2 were won by Bolland as well.

Cups 2 and 3 were won by Bickell, Crawford, Oduya, Kruger, Rozsival, Shaw, and Saad.  

Of course Versteeg won the first, left, came back, and won the third.

If you have the right key pieces (7 is enough) the rest can be plug and play guys and you can enjoy a lot of success

You still have to plug in and play the right supporting cast though, and for the last 2 Cups, Chicago has enjoyed some nice continuity with the same 15 guys if you include Versteeg who was part of the first win. 

That core of 7 is about to look real different in the next two seasons 

1) That was a great, great series. Speed, skill, evenly matched teams...couldn't ask for more. Shame we didn't get a game 7.

2) A Dman winning the Conn Smythe is awesome.

3) Had a conversation with a friend last night about Timonen. I feel like if I were a great player, but didn't win the Cup until I was a hasbeen, the feeling of accomplishment would be diminished at least a little. My friend strongly disagreed. Thoughts?

4) I'll always find it fascinating the reputations players get among fans and in the media. If Stamkos last name were Crosby or Ovechkin, he'd be getting crushed for lack of production. As is, it's just sort of "he needed to do more" but the commentary feels to me like it's missing the vitriol other players get. Meanwhile, I believe the broadcast mentioned Toews only has 3 goals in Cup Final games, and is known as one of the most clutch players in the game. I guess the old "winning solves everything" applies to more than just locker room dysfunction.

6) I'm conscious at 6 AM. Words cannot describe how awful this is. If it were Thursday I'd probably spend all my free time today posting in the complaint thread.

1) Awesome series

2) Keith completely deserved it too, unreal performance; first time since Scott Nierdermayer in 2007 a D-man wins it

3) I think it does diminish it, but I've always thought players like Timmonen look at their careers and how good they were and think they deserve it anyways

4) this blows my mind. 1 assist the entire series, and I can't recall if it was even a primary one or not. He had two glorious opportunities last night, and I've seen him missat least one open net. The guy should be getting blasted. Maybe it's because it's his first Cup

5) Why are you up that early? 

Is 7 the magic number?

Who's the Sabres core of 7?

Feel free to redirect me to the thread where this is being discussed.

Eichel, Kane, Ennis, Risto, Reinhart, Girgensons...O'Reilly/Zadorov, depending on which one is actually here come October. 

I think we need another D-man in there, for sure. If it's not Zadorov, it's going to hafta to be - who? Bogosian?

I thought about Bogo, but he's injured too much for me to rely on. I don't think you can build around Pysk, but I wouldn't put it past him neither. That leaves FA or trading for a #1 d-man to pair with Risto. 

As for TrueBlue's question re Timonen, I can't imagine feeling in any way diminished after winning the most elusive prize in sports. No way.

Wasn't Ray Borque a has-been when he won his Cup?

Maybe my memory is failing me, but he was still an effective player, wasn't he? Not prime Bourque of course, but still a top-4 defenseman. Timonen didn't even belong in the league anymore and purely rode coattails.

A few more thoughts.

At first, I was like: If Timonen were,as he was, rostered on a Cup-contending team, then, ipse dixit, he was still an NHL-level talent.

Then I looked at his TOI. Man. The top-4 guys got ~25-30 minutes, and that was that.

As for Bourque, he was logging 25+ minutes per game right up until the very end. He even scored a GWG in the SCF against the Devils.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8445621&season=20002001&view=log

Also, not sure if this was posted upthread, but the footage from this post kills me - specifically the black guy on the quiet street.

http://screengrabber.deadspin.com/now-lets-go-live-to-drunk-blackhawks-fans-1711592429

I did this somewhere else on the forum, but we can dream of the 2018 Sabres loosely matching up with the 2010 Hawks

Kane — Eichel

Toews — Reinhart

Hossa — Kane

Sharp —Ennis

Bolland —Girgensons

Versteeg — Moulson

Brouwer — Larsson

Ladd — Fasching

Bickell — Foligno

Keith — Ristolainen

Seabrook — Bogosian

Byfuglien — Zadorov

Hjalmarsson — Pysyk

Edited by dudacek

I did this somewhere else on the forum, but we can dream of the 2018 Sabres loosely matching up with the 2010 Hawks

Kane — Eichel

Toews — Reinhart

Hossa — Kane

Sharp —Ennis

Bolland —Girgensons

Versteeg — Moulson

Brouwer — Larsson

Ladd — Fasching

Bickell — Foligno

Keith — Ristolainen

Seabrook — Bogosian

Byfuglien — Zadorov

Hjalmarsson — Pysyk

I wouldn't equate Eichel with Kane, I would equate him with Toews, at least right now.  We don't have a Kane, yet, as far as I can tell.  You might consider Kane = Kane, but our Kane has too much sandpaper in his game to make that comparison legit, IMHO.

Not sure who to compare Reinhart with, but, for now I'd probably make him the Pat Kane comparable.

I wouldn't equate Eichel with Kane, I would equate him with Toews, at least right now.  We don't have a Kane, yet, as far as I can tell.  You might consider Kane = Kane, but our Kane has too much sandpaper in his game to make that comparison legit, IMHO.

Not sure who to compare Reinhart with, but, for now I'd probably make him the Pat Kane comparable.

Good call. It's definitely Eichel:Toews, I think. That said, you don't have to go tit-for-tat. 

If anything, I think maybe Ennis would be our closest fit to Kane. As you said: We don't have an answer for a Pat Kane at this point.

Then again, Chicago did not go two-deep on center prospects in quite the same way that the Sabres will. (Or did they?)

Edited by That Aud Smell

Well, summer starts in 4 days and it's been raining nearly every day.  So.... :P

Tampa snuck an extra win in there but in the end Chicago is just too solid to lose to TB this year.  Next year TB could be the team to beat.  Nothing to shame Stamkos for.. Kane wasn't doing much until Game 6 either and Richards could have taken the shot on Bishop but clearly deferred to Kane.  Either was a good play, but the pass to Kane is a great play.

Good work Chicago.  Well deserved.  Now to see how they retain their team.

Chicago fans continue the tradition of toilet papering Joel Quenneville's home after the Stanley Cup win. 

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/hinsdale/news/ct-dhd-blackhawks-coach-tl-0618-20150615-story.html

Kane — Eichel

Toews — Reinhart

Hossa — Kane

Sharp —Ennis

Bolland —Girgensons

Versteeg — Moulson

Brouwer — Larsson

Ladd — Fasching

Bickell — Foligno

Keith — Ristolainen

Seabrook — Bogosian

Byfuglien — Zadorov

Hjalmarsson — Pysyk

Wait.... who does Hodgson equate to?   :lol:

Good call. It's definitely Eichel:Toews, I think. That said, you don't have to go tit-for-tat. 

If anything, I think maybe Ennis would be our closest fit to Kane. As you said: We don't have an answer for a Pat Kane at this point.

Then again, Chicago did not go two-deep on center prospects in quite the same way that the Sabres will. (Or did they?)

I think Ennis is at least as quick and is comparably as slippery as Kane, but he's not the passer that Kane is.  Passing and set-ups are a huge part of Kane's game, which is why I think Reinhart fits that slot/role better for now.  And, Kane has a knack for sneaking into an effective position on a play (when the play is successful).  Of all of the people on the Sabres roster right now, the only one who does that, or at least attempts that, quite like Kane does is Grigorenko.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.