DDB...Yea or Nay?

LabattBlue

80 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like the Bylsma hiring

• Yes
    • No

Given the choice I'd probably have selected "reserving judgement", but overall I'm okay with the hire since I didn't have strong feelings on any of the front runners.  All I want right now is someone who wants to be here, and I look forward to seeing what he can do come September.

I'm basically neutral right now. He wasn't my first choice (or 2nd or 3rd, for that matter) but I don't think he's inept--like most coaches, there's some good and some bad, and some question marks. One thing I've been thinking about is how much his record (both the good and the bad) actually means, and I'm leaning towards not much. In Pittsburgh he was coaching a contender and a team firmly in a "win now" mindset from the very start until the very end...that couldn't possibly be more different from where the Sabres are at. While we've certainly turned the corner from tanking to trying to win, it's still very much about building a long-term franchise rather than capitalizing on the contender that already exists. I like that he's spent a lot of time scouting and self-evaluating this year, but again, I'm not sure how to compare this situation to the one he was in previously.

I guess that's a pretty round about way of saying he has a clean slate with me.

Dan comes off dry in the media, but I still got a good vibe from him during the presser. Murray seems to like him and Dan took his joke like they were old friends.

He said the right things about learning from his experiences in Pittsburgh and learning more during his time off.

He's young and will relate better with his young team and vice-versa. He's smart, not afraid of fancy stats, and is all-in with Murray's elusive plan.

Sounds like he has the "freedom" and "power" he needs and wants, and the long-term security and trust from the organization to develop the team correctly.

I can't see anyone better, right now, just different, maybe, but without the ring. So, I think the Sabres made the right choice here, and, in fact, I'm glad we have Disco Dan over Manipulative Babs.

Edited by SiZzlEmeIsTEr

Dan comes off dry in the media, but I still got a good vibe from him during the presser. Murray seems to like him and Dan took his joke like they were old friends.

He said the right things about learning from his experiences in Pittsburgh and learning more during his time off.

He's young and will relate better with his young team and vice-versa. He's smart, not afraid of fancy stats, and is all-in with Murray's elusive plan.

Sounds like he has the "freedom" and "power" he needs and wants, and the long-term security and trust from the organization to develop the team correctly.

I can't see anyone better, right now, just different, maybe, but without the ring. So, I think the Sabres made the right choice here, and, in fact, I'm glad we have Disco Dan over Manipulative Babs.

I really think that there is a synergistic multiplier factor with Murray and Bylsma. These guys are dry and protective when needed, but when they feel a loyalty with those close to them it is Disco time. They are either both gone in 3-4 years after a burnout, or this team actually becomes a multiple Cup winner.

After viewing the results of the poll, Ted Black just PM'd me with a 20% off coupon at the Sabres Store.

Not the highest support/following/endorsement for a new coaching hire from the fans on SS. I think the first 4 responses were "I'd like to wait and see." I am in that same camp. I don't claim to create Gallup Polls, but perhaps we could at least create a poll choice that a majority of the fans are writing in -- Let's wait in see, or I am neutral to it. We had a strong majority select "Yeah" but the comments were certainly not that strong. I get a feeling the poll is misleading.

That said, I am willing to give him a chance.

I'm basically neutral right now. He wasn't my first choice (or 2nd or 3rd, for that matter) but I don't think he's inept--like most coaches, there's some good and some bad, and some question marks. One thing I've been thinking about is how much his record (both the good and the bad) actually means, and I'm leaning towards not much. In Pittsburgh he was coaching a contender and a team firmly in a "win now" mindset from the very start until the very end...that couldn't possibly be more different from where the Sabres are at. While we've certainly turned the corner from tanking to trying to win, it's still very much about building a long-term franchise rather than capitalizing on the contender that already exists. I like that he's spent a lot of time scouting and self-evaluating this year, but again, I'm not sure how to compare this situation to the one he was in previously.

I guess that's a pretty round about way of saying he has a clean slate with me.

Good post.

He wasn't my 1st choice, but he's our guy now and he gets the benefit of the doubt. Hope Dwight's right.

I want to know when Joey B is sending you those selfies he promised.

Oooooh......gotta look. He's on the clock.

I give him this one. The family IS from Pittsburgh and liked the Pens.....so he gets a pass on this one.

I did notice however that he had a front row seat to the presser. The Helen Thomas of Buffalo sports was a bit further behind today for some reason.

I think what we are seeing after this hire and even with the Jack Eichel conversation is people be cautiously optimistic.  We all seem to have a fool me once type attitude.  I think being skeptical after suffering the tank is a healthy thing.  

I think what we are seeing after this hire and even with the Jack Eichel conversation is people be cautiously optimistic.  We all seem to have a fool me once type attitude.  I think being skeptical after suffering the tank is a healthy thing.  

I agree.  I'm taking this all very cautiously

Agreed with regards to the coaching hire. With regards to Eichel, there is no reason to have a "fool me once" attitude. It's good to keep expectations reasonable, but we haven't had a player of his caliber come to Buffalo in recent memory, never mind one that disappointed.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.