OT - Fitting Movie for Memorial Day Weekend

GoPre

A little off the wall, but "Nebraska." Easily in my list of top 10 favorite movies. It's not a war movie. But on Memorial Day, its theme of memory — starting to lose it, maybe actually losing it, regaining it — would seem to fit. And there's a hilarious cemetery visit scene. It's really a sneaky funny movie. And it has Bob Odenkirk, who slays with one look into the backseat. If you have 'rents getting up there in years, it'll hit a spot.

I've owned this movie for about 7 years and I've never watched it.

I remember as a young guy watching it and thinking it was hilarious. Haven't watched it since so my memory of it is from that perspective. Thought it was pretty funny at the time. " Real ###### ? ". 

" No. Wooden ######. " 

Never realized the short form of Japanese or j a p was a dirty word. I suppose it may be derogatory to some ?

Edited by bunomatic

A little off the wall, but "Nebraska." Easily in my list of top 10 favorite movies. It's not a war movie. But on Memorial Day, its theme of memory — starting to lose it, maybe actually losing it, regaining it — would seem to fit. And there's a hilarious cemetery visit scene. It's really a sneaky funny movie. And it has Bob Odenkirk, who slays with one look into the backseat. If you have 'rents getting up there in years, it'll hit a spot.

Good film.  Sad and funny.

Saw Avengers 2.  Eh, pretty good.

I'm watching Avatar. It's a perfect statement on the military-industrial complex that is our great nation,… only without the side that usually wins winning.

Avatar... it's alternate title is "Dances with Aliens" Starring Kevin Costner.

Anyways... I watching Inglorious Basterds for the first time.

I liked winter soldier (the sequel) better.

Saw Mad Max.  What a beautiful, violent, simple movie.  Awesome.

I saw Mad Max last night at a drive-in.  The drive-in was cool, but I was pretty lukewarm about the movie (although the action sequences were awesome).

I saw Mad Max last night at a drive-in.  The drive-in was cool, but I was pretty lukewarm about the movie (although the action sequences were awesome).

It felt great to watch a summer action film that didn't weigh itself down with dialogue and done-to-death inner-turmoil in the characters.  This movie followed the golden rule of storytelling: Show, don't tell.  

None of the characters were fleshed out and the plot never consisted of any goal more complicated than going from point A to point B.  These issues would definitely hurt the movie on a second viewing (or the first if you didn't turn your brain off, it's that kind of film), but it felt pretty perfect to me for what it was.

(very light spoilers for Mad Max)

I really really really liked that we never learned how the female lead lost her arm, nor about Max's guilt/the ghosts of his past.

The score was really hit and miss.  Half of the tracks captured the desert wasteland feel perfectly, and the other half was just boring stock orchestral score.

I know Interstellar has nothing to do w/ Memorial Day, but it has quickly risen in my rankings of best movies ever made. Have watched it countless times. Can't get enough of it. Give Interstellar a watch if you haven't seen it. 

I watched Hamburger Hill yesterday. I don't know how I missed this one before.  Very powerful. It was from 1987.  Starred young Dylan McDermott, Steven Weber, Don Cheadle, Michael Boatman, Courtney Vance. 

It still pisses me off when I'm reminded about how the guys returning from Viet Nam were treated.  Many lost their lives for a worthless war.

I watched Hamburger Hill yesterday. I don't know how I missed this one before.  Very powerful. It was from 1987.  Starred young Dylan McDermott, Steven Weber, Don Cheadle, Michael Boatman, Courtney Vance. 

It still pisses me off when I'm reminded about how the guys returning from Viet Nam were treated.  Many lost their lives for a worthless war.

I will tell you it was not a worthless war. I agree I can't wrap my mind around how those heroes got treated by a faction of the population back then.....I think the stink of that has a lot to do with the political divide going forward here.

I have Vietnamese neighbors and friends who came over as children, and their parents lived it. Today, they took a trip 2 hours away to take part in a ceremony, and they are some of the most patriotic people I know. They've thrown 4th of July block parties for everyone, and just for fun I sometimes try and get my friend going on a rant about the communist. It may not have made a big difference in land and policies at the time, but a whole group of people remember the attempt, and appreciate what America has to offer. It is a perpetual reminder to me that those kids didn't go there there for no reason.

This Kelly's Heroes? ha ha 

025U3UTbLXaWd_2329.jpg

In all seriousness, I've heard Kelly's Heroes is a great movie. Haven't seen it though. Adding another one to watch for the first time. 

It's good, although it's the 60s distopian version of a war movie so the soldiers are all kinda crooked. I haven't seen it in awhile.

We Were Soldiers is my favorite war movie of all time, even ahead of some of the other classics.

I saw it once, and it wasn't bad but it seemed a bit overdone and sappy if I remember right. Maybe if I can find it to stream I'll give it another shot.

I've owned this movie for about 7 years and I've never watched it.

!!!! I watched it not-too-long-ago and I thought I holds up pretty well.

I didn't watch much this weekend. I used to watch old movies a lot more when I was younger, but who has the time now? I spend almost all Sunday and Monday digging up my yard to put mulch down. Not my primary idea of fun, but it makes WifePie happy and adds some value to the house. I did watch "The Longest Day" (Also: the Longest Movie at nearly 3 hours :)) Sunday night. I tried to watch 12 O'clock High last night but I was exhausted and fell asleep before Gregory Peck showed up (really early in the movie).

I know Interstellar has nothing to do w/ Memorial Day, but it has quickly risen in my rankings of best movies ever made. Have watched it countless times. Can't get enough of it. Give Interstellar a watch if you haven't seen it.

Is is interesting but the end left me frustrated.

being the geeks that we are, and having the friends that we have, we took a different twist on the war-memorial day. yesterday marked the 38th anniversary of the premiere of star wars. that being the case, we had a star wars marathon. managed to watch eps 1-4 (the original intent was to watch eps 1-6, but with six kids ages 10 and under (four of which are 7 and under), the attention span just wasn't there, so we ended up taking a lot of breaks between movies.

which is fine. the point was just to get together with some old friends and hang out, so mission accomplished there.

I watched The Pacific over a couple days.  I have an uncle that was in the Marines in WWII (He's passed on now).  In 13 months his unit made four major amphibious assaults in the battles of Kwajalein (Roi-Namur), Saipan, Tinian, and Iwo Jima with his division suffering more than 17,000 casualties.  He didn't talk about it much.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.