All about the Babwatch -- Sabres out

matter2003

That would be petulant and short-sighted.  Toronto has been in on this from the get-go, and Babcock has been clear from the get-go that he is going to be deliberate and consider all of his options.

Depends on how you look at it. Based on reports, Pegula made an unprecedented offer to make Babcock the highest paid coach in league history and by miles. Based on reports, as of last evening, it was down to Detroit and Buffalo with no mention of Toronto. And if Toronto has been laying in the weeds all along, then Babcock has done nothing but wait until he had Buffalo's final offer to leverage. Based on that, it is not petulant AT ALL to shelve my historical offer. It's a matter of setting another precedent moving forward. 

GO SABRES!!!

Okay so for me going forward this is the Babcock watch thread... Maybe change the thread title to Bibity Bobity Babcock watch 2015

Per @DarrenDreger, Wings final offer is 5-years, $20M... Speculation suggests both Leafs and Sabres coming in at more than $5M per yr.

Edited by LGR4GM

Wow, the leafs are in serious discussion for Babcock?  Will that team ever learn they need a rebuild???  Holy Christ you can only wallow in mediocrity for so long before you realize you need to take a step back to go forward.  This is like back in the day when they would trade draft picks for aging vetrans to continuously make a run for 8th.

NOPE

So you think the Harbor Center makes Buffalo a more attractive city than Toronto?

Depends on how you look at it. Based on reports, Pegula made an unprecedented offer to make Babcock the highest paid coach in league history and by miles. Based on reports, as of last evening, it was down to Detroit and Buffalo with no mention of Toronto. And if Toronto has been laying in the weeds all along, then Babcock has done nothing but wait until he had Buffalo's final offer to leverage. Based on that, it is not petulant AT ALL to shelve my historical offer. It's a matter of setting another precedent moving forward. 

GO SABRES!!!

You're making a series of assumptions, based on very limited info, about the way these negotiations have been conducted.  It seems highly unlikely that this is how events unfolded.

So you think the Harbor Center makes Buffalo a more attractive city than Toronto?

You're making a series of assumptions, based on very limited info, about the way these negotiations have been conducted.  It seems highly unlikely that this is how events unfolded.

Its a state of the art center, and it helps because no other pro franchise has a such a setup, It makes Buffalo a heluva a hockey Hub... and Toronto has a real need to rebuild where Buffalo is on the other side of the rebuild

This entire thread is assumption.. I stick by my thoughts if your don't agree. Oh well

Edited by ddaryl

Yes, I think HC makes a more attractive hockey city in Buffalo. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Fun with numbers!

Today, $5M US dollars is equal to $6,107,225 Canadian. Over 6 years: $30M vs $36,643,350.

Fun with numbers.....

Endorsements:

Toronto: 60 Fortune 500 company headquarters in Missassauga alone.......

Buffalo: Mamma Pecararo.........

I'm making these assumptions based on what's been reported. Limited info or not, highly unlikely or not, that's all I have to go by. And to repeat, based on those reports, it appears Babcock and Toronto have been waiting to see what our best and final was gonna be. I don't think it's good business acumen to be used in that fashion as it sets a bad precedent for Pegula moving forward. It's not unheard of to shelve offers for this reason. I happen to agree, based on my assumptions based on what's been said publicly to this point. If you disagree, fine. But given how these events have unfolded, again based on what's been reported,  it's not as though my assumptions are way out of line. 

GO SABRES!!!

Fun with numbers.....

Endorsements:

don't forget

- Yancy's Fancy (or whatever it's called) artisan cheese

- Celino and Barnes

- Saleens Hotdogs

and Geico has their office there too.....

Thanks Nfreeman!

Fun with numbers.....

Endorsements:

Independent Health, you should include them too.  

Toronto doesn't have crap for the rebuild, and they don't have a harbor center.

I don't believe the report is even true and its just media BS or someone leaking a made up story for whatever reason

It could be click bait for sure.  Then again, I'm not counting this chicken until it is hatched!

I'm making these assumptions based on what's been reported. Limited info or not, highly unlikely or not, that's all I have to go by. And to repeat, based on those reports, it appears Babcock and Toronto have been waiting to see what our best and final was gonna be. I don't think it's good business acumen to be used in that fashion as it sets a bad precedent for Pegula moving forward. It's not unheard of to shelve offers for this reason. I happen to agree, based on my assumptions based on what's been said publicly to this point. If you disagree, fine. But given how these events have unfolded, again based on what's been reported,  it's not as though my assumptions are way out of line. 

GO SABRES!!!

Awww.....you're just a Buffalo and Pegula Hating Jerk!!!!  

Actually, now is the time to think of a ground zero scenario. Toronto gets Babcock.....The league hates Pegula for setting a crazy market....McLelan is off the market....you now either go to Luke Richardson and offer him $4 million for 3 years which was an awesome prospect in his mind all along, or go and try to negotiate with an experienced coach after you just offered $50 million to Babcock.....and whatever number you offer at first, they will probably laugh at you.

Actually, now is the time to think of a ground zero scenario. Toronto gets Babcock.....The league hates Pegula for setting a crazy market....McLelan is off the market....you now either go to Luke Richardson and offer him $4 million for 3 years which was an awesome prospect in his mind all along, or go and try to negotiate with an experienced coach after you just offered $50 million to Babcock.....and whatever number you offer at first, they will probably laugh at you.

Again you have 30 jobs total.  Guys on the fringes of NHL coaching or just lost their jobs as NHL coaches aren't going to laugh at anyone offering them 1 of 30 jobs. 

So Babcock has two minutes to decide to meet his Wed morning timeline.

He had 2 minutes to tell Detroit. Which I assume is happening now.

That

Maybe that is TMs plan all along. He can go out now and say they did everything they could to get Babs, then TM gets his buddy to coach here which is what he truly wanted all along. It's diabolical!

It's over, he's ours. If Detroit can't even come close to our offer, and it's between us and Toronto we

A) Can outbid them  

B) Aren't a tire fire

C) Actually have a GM

TO's lack of a GM could be a good thing in all this.  There is a whole lot of working room there right now for Babcock to carve out whatever niche he wants.  It was reported that a sticking point with Buffalo negotiations was how much control over personnel Babcock would have here.

He doesn't just want to be the coach; he wants to be a coach with quasi-GM power.

There are TONS of good reasons why Babcock would NOT go to TO!

But to suggest its impossible is crazy...

TO is TO.  God only knows what Babs is thinking in all this.

Actually, now is the time to think of a ground zero scenario. Toronto gets Babcock.....The league hates Pegula for setting a crazy market....McLelan is off the market....you now either go to Luke Richardson and offer him $4 million for 3 years which was an awesome prospect in his mind all along, or go and try to negotiate with an experienced coach after you just offered $50 million to Babcock.....and whatever number you offer at first, they will probably laugh at you.

Unless they are unemployed and need a job LOL.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.