dudacek

The thing is when Buffalo finally hires a head coach and has a press conference I can all but guarantee that at least one question gets asked about the lack of presser at seasons end.

I don't want an investigation either. What's there to investigate? But I think any remotely journalistic approach to the story should at least touch on the fracking controversy and the state of the team and fanbase the last two seasons.

I shouldn't but I am curious... What fracking controversy?

Stand your ground. The original post was nonsensical, meaningless comparison that looks nice on a message board, but has no bearing on the future of the Bills.

Might as well compare a yellow sun and a yellow lemon and imply your garden will grow with 15 hours of exposure to a basket of lemons.

At least you are posting to your own board more than once every 6 months.....I'll give you that.....

So...are we to believe Terry Pegula at his word? If so, he was "shocked" that Marrone left and had planned on him being here.

So what did the Sabres do Pegula's first offseason? They had the largest cash outlay of any team in the nhl.

They signed Lieno and Ehrhoff to front loaded deals.

They traded for Regehr and Hodgson....a little more than a year later extending Hodgson to $25 million

They extended Myers and gave him $12 million cash upfront

What was the result? Zero playoff games in 4 years, an admitted failure and plan to sell off all assets, (did you get the pamphlet?), Lieno and Ehrhoff getting bought out, Myers dumped, Regehr dumped and retired, and Hodgson as a handful more goals than biodork the past 2 years.

All to the drumbeat of a GM who, "what has he done wrong?"..."I can work with him".......

Let's look at year 1 as owner of the Buffalo Bills

The largest upfront cash outlay of any team in the NFL

They sign Clay and Harvin to front loaded deals

They trade for Cassel and McCoy....and extend them both with cash up front

They keep Hughes for another giant upfront bonus

All to the drumbeat of a GM who told fans there will be no activity in free agency next year because they need to extend his own draft picks.

What will happen going forward?????? I don't know.....but how can you say he hasn't done the exact same thing he did with the Sabres? And how can you not feel concerned that if the Bills go 8-8 and 9-7 the next 2 seasons...that all that money doesn't handcuff them to mediocrity going forward?

At least you are posting to your own board more than once every 6 months.....I'll give you that.....

What will happen going forward?????? I don't know.....but how can you say he hasn't done the exact same thing he did with the Sabres? And how can you not feel concerned that if the Bills go 8-8 and 9-7 the next 2 seasons...that all that money doesn't handcuff them to mediocrity going forward?

Salaries haven't handcuffed the Sabres.  Lack of talent has. 

"They are the only team to refuse to answer questions about the coming offseason."

Is just as bad. They refused to hold a press conference, not answer questions.

well, since they didn't have a PC, there was nothing to write about. Thus, the anger.

That's a very good point.  That statement was grossly inaccurate.

Sports is entertainment - it really doesn't require a political level of scrutiny as if it were a public trust. 

Really? Maybe for New York, or Toronto, or Chicago......cities that get by just fine....but then again, they probably also have the most sharp media who doesn't let stuff get by. Funny ain't it?

So.....let's just say......what would the overall impact be on the city of Buffalo and area if Terry Pegula was "entertaining" the Mrs. on their anniversary, and in the throes of passion, Terry has "The Widowmaker", and proceeds to collapse on a 95lb Kim, trapping her and also causing her demise?

Does it turn into a Disney Film with a trio of teenage kids running 2 sports teams and 1/4 of downtown?  Or do you see the Bills and Sabres auctioned off, and Harborcenter and 1/4 of downtown at risk given the development from the developers assuming a stadium going forward?

Widowmaker....Plane.....Rigas.......we just don't know.

Do you truly think sports are entertainment for this region?

Salaries haven't handcuffed the Sabres.  Lack of talent has. 

Have you seen these deals being signed by the Bills?

They have a 3 year window.

Really? Maybe for New York, or Toronto, or Chicago......cities that get by just fine....but then again, they probably also have the most sharp media who doesn't let stuff get by. Funny ain't it?

So.....let's just say......what would the overall impact be on the city of Buffalo and area if Terry Pegula was "entertaining" the Mrs. on their anniversary, and in the throes of passion, Terry has "The Widowmaker", and proceeds to collapse on a 95lb Kim, trapping her and also causing her demise?

Does it turn into a Disney Film with a trio of teenage kids running 2 sports teams and 1/4 of downtown?  Or do you see the Bills and Sabres auctioned off, and Harborcenter and 1/4 of downtown at risk given the development from the developers assuming a stadium going forward?

Yep. It is entertainment. Soap operas for men. 

I'm not claiming there isn't an economic impact, sure there is. But is it really that different from the Buffalo Philharmonic, Shea's, Kleinehan's. and other ticketed venues? 

Economically speaking, not really, only different scales. 

If memory serves, the Colts obviously tanked for Andrew Luck ("Suck for Luck"), and that was even worse because there was no lottery process--if they finished last, it was a guarantee they'd get Luck.  Yet, with the Colts now perennial playoff participants and projecting to be a Super Bowl favorite, I hear nothing about tanking.  Even at the time, there was very little discussion nationally of there being something wrong with what the Colts were doing. 

In the NBA, the Spurs openly tanked to improve their chances of landing Tim Duncan.  They did get him and promptly won the title, followed by several more.  In the last ten years, have you ever once--just once--heard anyone complain about the Spurs tanking?  I have not. 

As others have mentioned, the Penguins arguably tanked TWICE to get two generational players, Lemieux and Crosby.  Again, never heard anyone complain about this after the Pens won their last cup, or at any point since.

Outside of baseball, where first round picks are devalued due to the unpredictability associated with player development, tanking has been a part of American sports for decades.  Nobody cares.  It only became an issue in Buffalo because of a fluky set of circumstances (two generational players in one draft, a draft system that guaranteed us one of them but only if we finished last, a historically terrible team that was surprisingly rivaled by other equally terrible teams, fans deciding to cheer against their team).  Even that will quickly be forgotten.

Would you rather have finished second last and ended up with Dylan Strome?  I think not.  Enjoy Eichel.  Live a little.

I agree with everything you said above. But PA is apparently a much beloved senior member of the board, and thus gets a free pass no matter what nonsense he posts.

Edited by MBHockey13

The thing is when Buffalo finally hires a head coach and has a press conference I can all but guarantee that at least one question gets asked about the lack of presser at seasons end.

Would it really bother you? You don't care about those pressers. You could go get you a cold pop.

It would be a bit ridiculous, but how is it not a valid question? A better question is why the owner doesn't speak about the team publicly very often. The last two seasons were remarkable times for the franchise. It would have been nice for us fans to hear a lot more (or anything, really; can't remember when Terry last had anything to say) from another fan who happens to own the team. And an owner who's very active and involved on a day to day basis. I'm sure any such question would really get panties in a wad around here. I mean, how dare they?!

[snip]

Harvin got a one year deal, while Cassel is just a vet fill in at QB, so there's no real patterns here.  Yes, the Bills spent.  What would your ideal owner have done with the Bills this offseason?

So...are we to believe Terry Pegula at his word? If so, he was "shocked" that Marrone left and had planned on him being here.

So what did the Sabres do Pegula's first offseason? They had the largest cash outlay of any team in the nhl.

They signed Lieno and Ehrhoff to front loaded deals.

They traded for Regehr and Hodgson....a little more than a year later extending Hodgson to $25 million

They extended Myers and gave him $12 million cash upfront

What was the result? Zero playoff games in 4 years, an admitted failure and plan to sell off all assets, (did you get the pamphlet?), Lieno and Ehrhoff getting bought out, Myers dumped, Regehr dumped and retired, and Hodgson as a handful more goals than biodork the past 2 years.

All to the drumbeat of a GM who, "what has he done wrong?"..."I can work with him".......

All to the drumbeat of a GM who told fans there will be no activity in free agency next year because they need to extend his own draft picks.

I too have noticed the Sabres-Bills parallels and I too am concerned that the Bills' wild and crazy offseason could blow up in our faces.  It absolutely could turn into a debacle, with multiple risky links in the chain (Rex, Watkins getting hurt again, McCoy slowing down, no QB, crappy OL, Incognito inciting locker-room tension, Harvin losing his marbles, etc.)  In fact, there are enough risky items that it is probably more likely than not that some kind of blowup will occur -- we just have to hope it doesn't sink the ship.

Having said that:  the Bills' offseason has been highly entertaining.  I also think Rex is running the show now, which is a huge difference from the Sabres' keeping Darcy and Lindy in place.  I'm looking forward to this Bills' season more than any season in at least a decade.

Harvin got a one year deal, while Cassel is just a vet fill in at QB, so there's no real patterns here.  Yes, the Bills spent.  What would your ideal owner have done with the Bills this offseason?

Moved them to Toronto, probably.

Not spent???   :blink:

Sat on his hands, or waited around and filled his roster with undrafted free agents, I suppose. I'm not sure about what Drane is complaining, other than the old "go out and get a great starting QB in free agency" argument.

Also "not a public trust" is a dubious statement when the taxpayers are chipping in for pizza.

It definitely isn't a public trust. And by that I mean, by definition. It just isn't.  It has an owner. He could sell it tomorrow. The person that buys it could resell it the next day. And a third person on the third day. Like it or not, other than the contract that a season ticket implies and only if you hold one - The National Hockey League owes you nothing.

Honestly, I haven't been following the Bills this off-season.  

Whaley wouldn't be here....I like his passion, but he is on year 19 of the 20 year Ginzu Warranty.....

Someone said that Pegula didn't send the Sabres into the shitter. The "brilliant rebuilding plan" was forced on Pegula after his mistakes when he took over the team. There was no other option. All i did was point out the exact same gameplan is being used by Pegula for year 1 of the Bills. The Bills have a better shot at it, but I also should be on this team at O-Line over Whaley's 2nd and 5th round picks last year.

I too have noticed the Sabres-Bills parallels and I too am concerned that the Bills' wild and crazy offseason could blow up in our faces.  It absolutely could turn into a debacle, with multiple risky links in the chain (Rex, Watkins getting hurt again, McCoy slowing down, no QB, crappy OL, Incognito inciting locker-room tension, Harvin losing his marbles, etc.)  In fact, there are enough risky items that it is probably more likely than not that some kind of blowup will occur -- we just have to hope it doesn't sink the ship.

Having said that:  the Bills' offseason has been highly entertaining.  I also think Rex is running the show now, which is a huge difference from the Sabres' keeping Darcy and Lindy in place.  I'm looking forward to this Bills' season more than any season in at least a decade.

I agree with all of it.

Although what would this board have said if Pegula hired Barry Melrose and brought in Matt Cooke and Sean Avery?

Whaley wouldn't be here....I like his passion, but he is on year 19 of the 20 year Ginzu Warranty.....

Someone said that Pegula didn't send the Sabres into the shitter. The "brilliant rebuilding plan" was forced on Pegula after his mistakes when he took over the team. There was no other option. All i did was point out the exact same gameplan is being used by Pegula for year 1 of the Bills. The Bills have a better shot at it, but I also should be on this team at O-Line over Whaley's 2nd and 5th round picks last year.

I agree with all of it.

Although what would this board have said if Pegula hired Barry Melrose and brought in Matt Cooke and Sean Avery?

I don't know why but for some reason I can see his approach working in football, where it might not in hockey. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

And I need to amend my thought on the no presser thing, not only do I not care, I actually prefer their silence.

I don't know why but for some reason I can see his approach working in football, where it might not in hockey. I don't know why I think that, I just do.

And I need to amend my thought on the no presser thing, not only do I not care, I actually prefer their silence.

I'm not saying it's wrong. In football, with this crew, it is boom or bust. In 3 years people will be building a Rex statue or burning his truck.

I think this is where the cross-sports comparison breaks down--they only had a three year window anyway. The only way an NFL team can have sustained success is with a franchise QB. Seriously, when was the last team to make the playoffs, let's say 5 straight seasons, without a top notch signal caller? We had an elite defense last year, so may as well try to win with that while we can. It may not work, but without falling into a serious QB upgrade, I honestly don't see any viable alternatives.

Can't NFL teams simply cut players?  I know there is guaranteed money but isn't something like half of the contract not guaranteed? 

Teams can kick the can down the road for awhile, but it does eventually come back to bite--see the Steelers and Saints for recent examples.

So, walk away. It's time. You'll never be happy and anything the Sabres do from here on out with be forever tainted (in your mind, and mostly only your mind, despite your claims) by their selling off of assets they weren't winning with to get assets to build for the future. You can't enjoy any future Sabres successes, and you're too wrapped up in what you perceive the "rest of the league" thinks. In fact, to you, winning the Stanley Cup would be the ultimate insult to those who hate the Pegulas and their plan for success.

So, just walk away. It's over for you.

I just don't see a scenario where the guy will be happy. He doesn't like how they decided to turn their team around, and he feels the rest of the league will view a Sabres Cup win as tainted. Other than the Pegulas selling the team and the Sabres begging the NHL to punish them for their sins by taking away their first round picks, what other scenario would make it OK for the Sabres to succeed scandal-free?

I agree with everything you said above. But PA is apparently a much beloved senior member of the board, and thus gets a free pass no matter what nonsense he posts.

Just ask him out already. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.