2015 IIHF Championship Prague May 1-17

Brawndo

not really.I assume you seen where I said something like a board scrum needs things to happen during play for it to come about. regardless of what happens in the game I can guarantee at least 4 faceoffs per game (assuming the game is not cancelled). If you cannot see the enhanced value of a 1 on 1 battle that you get to setup for all I have left is to shake my head in disbelief. If you are simply trying to say that faceoffs should not be seen as a holy grail stat I can agree with you, but you seem to be saying that faceoffs are no more important compared to other 1 on 1 battles and I am sorry but that is very very wrong.

Find me a hockey game in history that didn't have numerous board scrums. They're every bit as guaranteed as faceoffs.

Find me a hockey game in history that didn't have numerous board scrums. They're every bit as guaranteed as faceoffs.

I agree about faceoffs and where there importance lies in today's game, I am ecstatic to see that Eichel was able to take a weakness and turn it into a strength in a short period of time

right, I am just going to move on and shake my head in disbelief.

Saying faceoffs are guaranteed but board battles aren't is akin to saying presidential elections aren't guaranteed to have a campaign because there is no written rule requiring the candidates to campaign. It's inane.

I agree about faceoffs and where there importance lies in today's game, I am ecstatic to see that Eichel was able to take a weakness and turn it into a strength in a short period of time

That's fine, we are allowed to disagree. Just don't go telling me that board battles aren't guaranteed to take place during a game, and it's all good :p

Saying faceoffs are guaranteed but board battles aren't is akin to saying presidential elections aren't guaranteed to have a campaign because there is no written rule requiring the candidates to campaign. It's inane.

That's fine, we are allowed to disagree. Just don't go telling me that board battles aren't guaranteed to take place during a game, and it's all good :P

and saying board battles matter as much as faceoffs is like when I tell someone I will totally leave half that box of girl scout cookies for them. when in fact it is nearly guaranteed to not be a true statement

fyi if i did me edumactations right and got the real stats the sabres averaged like 60 faceoffs a game

and saying board battles matter as much as faceoffs is like when I tell someone I will totally leave half that box of girl scout cookies for them. when in fact it is nearly guaranteed to not be a true statement

fyi if i did me edumactations right and got the real stats the sabres averaged like 60 faceoffs a game

1) It's not like that at all.

2) Sounds about right. Too bad nobody counts board battles per game or we might be able to empirically decide this argument.

1) It's not like that at all.

2) Sounds about right. Too bad nobody counts board battles per game or we might be able to empirically decide this argument.

A board battle is hard to define. A face off isn't. But I would bet on faceoffs being much higher than board battles where the puck is legitimately up for grabs.

A board battle is hard to define. A face off isn't. But I would bet on faceoffs being much higher than board battles where the puck is legitimately up for grabs.

Hadn't really considered a formal definition for board battle (I think we could identify them on video pretty easily), but it's certainly true that not every board battle is a 50/50 puck and that would lead to problems in counting the events. That said, I would submit that not every faceoff is truly 50/50 either because of different ref drops, how refs allow positioning and pre-drop movement, and things like that. 

For as "guaranteed" as they are, I'd bet the number of faceoffs in a game is a fraction of the number of board scrums. It's really hard to argue that faceoffs are more important because they don't rely on another event...then go on to say they rely on another event.

Minus the fact that the argument has a significant logical flaw, sure.

Made sense to me. That's all that logically matters.

I figured the emoticon would get across I was just having some fun with it, but what the hell: if they had won, they could have lost the puck in their own zone too and created a scoring chance for Russia--it's not like maintaining possession and getting the scoring chance was guaranteed with a win. In fact, given that the turnover took place near the blue line, that made it easier to get the puck out of the zone whereas with a win the puck would have been deeper in their own end, perhaps making it harder to skate it out.

I knew you were having fun.  All of this is fun. :)  But, having to get a turnover takes more work that winning a faceoff because you have to then exert effort to get to where the puck has gone. :)

You needed to be watching. What you are suggesting is not at all what I was witnessing from Eichel. It wasn't letting the play develop. There were several times in the defensive end I remember thinking he was floating too much and needed to be more engaged.  It won't fly at the NHL level. 

Thanks.  

That's what Cody and Grigo have been trying to tell Nolan.

:w00t:

Well considering we were talking about his defensive zone play, or at least I was, I am not really sure where you are going with this.

I'll say it again. Jack Eichel on several shifts in the defensive zone floated and was less aggressive towards the puck carrier.  Not a concern just an observation about his play.  

not really.I assume you seen where I said something like a board scrum needs things to happen during play for it to come about. regardless of what happens in the game I can guarantee at least 4 faceoffs per game (assuming the game is not cancelled). If you cannot see the enhanced value of a 1 on 1 battle that you get to setup for all I have left is to shake my head in disbelief. If you are simply trying to say that faceoffs should not be seen as a holy grail stat I can agree with you, but you seem to be saying that faceoffs are no more important compared to other 1 on 1 battles and I am sorry but that is very very wrong.

Great examples of self-absorption!!

I'd like to thank BRAWNDO and others for providing the very useful information in this thread.

I'll be watching the game tomorrow at 10:00 am.

These games have given me the first real chance to see Eichel in action.

What impresses me most is his instinctive ability to use his body as a shield to protect the puck, and his instinctive ability to just use his body in general.

He understands when 2 guys are going for a puck along the end wall, for example, that the most important thing to do first is to block out the other guy.  Never mind the puck for now.  Get position on the other guy, block him out, dominate that little piece of ice...then get the puck.

I've seen a lot of NHL players who don't seem to understand that.  

This kid is beyond NHL ready and I just can't wait to see him in a Sabres uniform.

It's going to be pretty exciting.

I'd like to thank BRAWNDO and others for providing the very useful information in this thread.

I'll be watching the game tomorrow at 10:00 am.

These games have given me the first real chance to see Eichel in action.

What impresses me most is his instinctive ability to use his body as a shield to protect the puck, and his instinctive ability to just use his body in general.

He understands when 2 guys are going for a puck along the end wall, for example, that the most important thing to do first is to block out the other guy.  Never mind the puck for now.  Get position on the other guy, block him out, dominate that little piece of ice...then get the puck.

I've seen a lot of NHL players who don't seem to understand that.  

This kid is beyond NHL ready and I just can't wait to see him in a Sabres uniform.

It's going to be pretty exciting.

His style of play is exactly what Buffalo is lacking.   Hopefully he rubs off on some of the other younger players.    That's the thing about great players, they make everybody else better.

His style of play is exactly what Buffalo is lacking.   Hopefully he rubs off on some of the other younger players.    That's the thing about great players, they make everybody else better.

It's cliche, but in the case of Eichel, it's just TRUE.

He will make everyone on the ice around him better.

A line of him Eichel and Kane could be really fun.

Yes it could!  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.