Bruins fire GM Peter Chiarelli

matter2003

Miss the playoffs one year and get bounced...pretty tough, unless there was more to it than that...

Not sure I always agree with the quick trigger fingers some teams have...people are going to make mistakes, its not like they have been horrible since he's been there...they won a cup in 2011, were two games from winning another in 2013 and won the President's Trophy last year...

You would think he would have some credit built up in the bank that a narrow playoff miss wouldn't fully withdraw...

Edited by matter2003

And people that Ted Nolan got a raw deal after finishing last two consecutive years.

I've got mixed feelings on this, coloured by my hate for the Bruins.

On one side, the success of the past five years is hard to dismiss.

On the other hand, the Bergeron/Lucic/Marchand core was more luck than brains, he didn't get enough for Seguin and he's badly muffed his handling of the cap.

I wonder if Chiarelli goes back to Ottawa.

That's from where they hired him, and sadly, with Bryan Murray's health, they may need him.

I still think he's a good GM. I don't think it's fair to fire the guy after just missing the playoffs based on winning a Stanley Cup, a President's Trophy, and making the Finals twice in the last three years.

And it's true they have some problems now, but if you create future problems by going all in to win the Cup, and then you do, then you should get a pass for a while. If the Sabres had a chance to pick up one or two guys knowing they'd be in cap hell in a year or two and they worked out like Ron Francis or Butch Goring and we actually won, would you be bitching two years later?

Looks like upper management doesn't agree w/ the Seguin nor Boychuk trades.

Thought he'd have a bit longer of a rope. Any word on potential replacements &/or Julien's job security?

Schadenfreude, it's not just for breakfast anymore. :thumbsup:

Well, based on the video that qwksnd posted, it looks like everyone was on board with trading Seguin.  Still a huge blunder in retrospect though.

Even so, this strikes me as a precipitous and foolish move.  I suppose I should be happy about it, because the result will probably be a weaker Bruins franchise, but I don't like seeing moves like this or our division getting watered down.

Well, based on the video that qwksnd posted, it looks like everyone was on board with trading Seguin.  Still a huge blunder in retrospect though.

Even so, this strikes me as a precipitous and foolish move.  I suppose I should be happy about it, because the result will probably be a weaker Bruins franchise, but I don't like seeing moves like this or our division getting watered down.

Ah, but the guys that APPROVE the decision typically retain their right to change their mind. The guy that MADE the decision owns it. (Unless, of course, if it works out, and then approval equals ownership.)

From the video it seems to me that Neely pulls all the strings in Boston, which makes sense since he is the team President.

It looked like he had the last word and then the calls were made.

Remember that the video is a heavily edited 4 minute clip of what were probably hours of discussion.  I doubt that Neely was the final say.

Remember that the video is a heavily edited 4 minute clip of what were probably hours of discussion.  I doubt that Neely was the final say.

Wanna bet?

As team President, I bet a 20 pack of Timbits that his was the final say.

Edited by Sabres Fan In NS

Losing Krejci for a third of the season likely cost the Bruins a playoff spot.

Brett Connolly getting hurt right off the bat didn't help either.  

This is an ideal situation for the next GM. You have some assets you can move, goaltending, mid aged players to keep you competitive and some young top level talent like Hamilton and Smith to build from if they choose to go that route. Boston may end up taking a step back like they did in 05-06 and 06-07, I doubt they will be down for very long. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.