The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Man, I thought you were just a harmless Board provocateur who could put together a sentence but now I'm thinking you're just a Grade A jerk! Was trying to get the thread back on track. Why pick fights if you don't need to?

Here's to waking up to Babs in the morn...

Take a Tofutti break...you'll feel better.

I'm a jerk for agreeing with the only point you made in the post?

My follow up reply was to someone who had been ankle yipping me all day.

Here's something to chew on while we wait. Why does GMTM get such a huge pass for his poor relationship with Nolan? Not a big red flag? Is it just that Ted was not Tim's man? I made a big deal about Battista getting sent down to tell Nolan that Miller had been traded and was roundly criticized for it. That's how it works, Murray was busy and Battista had nothing to do after getting Terry his Whatchamacallit bars from that diabolical vending machine by Darcy's old office. Sometimes you want a Twix and it gives you those awful peanut butter crackers.

But, in hindsight, it was something to be concerned about, no? And it all plays into an image of Murray that apparently concerns Babcock enough that we have to have this waiting game while he figures out if he can work with Murray.

Imagine if we lose Babcock over this. Will GMTM still get a pass? That is, if he's still employed by the Sabres de Buffalo?

Edited by PASabreFan

Here's something to chew on while we wait. Why does GMTM get such a huge pass for his poor relationship with Nolan? Not a big red flag? Is it just that Ted was not Tim's man? I made a big deal about Battista getting sent down to tell Nolan that Miller had been fired and was roundly criticized for it. That's how it works, Murray was busy and Battista had nothing to do after getting Terry his Whatchamacallit bars from that diabolical vending machine by Darcy's old office. Sometimes you want a Twix and it gives you those awful peanut butter crackers.

But, in hindsight, it was something to be concerned about, no? And it all plays into an image of Murray that apparently concerns Babcock enough that we have to have this waiting game while he figures out if he can work with Murray.

Imagine if we lose Babcock over this. Will GMTM still get a pass? That is, if he's still employed by the Sabres de Buffalo?

Lose Babcock over what exactly.

Also we can't lose something we currently don't have. 

Here's something to chew on while we wait. Why does GMTM get such a huge pass for his poor relationship with Nolan? Not a big red flag? Is it just that Ted was not Tim's man? I made a big deal about Battista getting sent down to tell Nolan that Miller had been fired and was roundly criticized for it. That's how it works, Murray was busy and Battista had nothing to do after getting Terry his Whatchamacallit bars from that diabolical vending machine by Darcy's old office. Sometimes you want a Twix and it gives you those awful peanut butter crackers.

Not a red flag with me at all. I give GMTM a pass based on two reasons:

1.) Nolan is simply not a very good coach from a strategic, game-planning perspective. And he's even more clueless regarding in-game adjustments. I think Murray had every reason to question his coaching acumen after a season and a half + at the wheel. 

2.) Nolan's personality and ability to establish and maintain key relationships with those he directly reports to. His previously earned rep of not being able to get along with others in an organization preceded his return to the Sabres and, again, after a year and a half into their relationship, Murray had a lot to go on in that regard. 

Murray gets the entire benefit of my doubt for at leas the next few seasons. He's just beginning to make his mark on the franchise and hasn't had enough time to be fully evaluated. 

GO SABRES!!!

Here's something to chew on while we wait. Why does GMTM get such a huge pass for his poor relationship with Nolan? Not a big red flag? Is it just that Ted was not Tim's man? I made a big deal about Battista getting sent down to tell Nolan that Miller had been traded and was roundly criticized for it. That's how it works, Murray was busy and Battista had nothing to do after getting Terry his Whatchamacallit bars from that diabolical vending machine by Darcy's old office. Sometimes you want a Twix and it gives you those awful peanut butter crackers.

He gets a pass bc he's hihgly repsected around the league and this year wasn't a season that mattered other than going for a top pick. And because he knew, as did TP, that nolan wouldnt be back. 

This is simply not true and has not been reported anywhere. 

It's amazing how hard you dig to find an issue with virtually everything that this team does. 

Pegula wanted McDavid.  Murray wanted McDavid.  Nolan wanted to win as many games as possible.  It was an obvious tank job by the Sabres (thank God it was a successful one) and hence there was a ton of conflict in regards to keeping guys like Pysyk and McCabe down in Roch.  But the Sabres brought in Nolan last season to appease the fanbase about these losing seasons.  Couple that with PL just quitting on the franchise and there's no way Nolan could be fired in season.  Hence everyone just let the toxic environment play out.  Especially since Nolan is a poor x and o guy and could help the tank.

Not a red flag with me at all. I give GMTM a pass based on two reasons:

1.) Nolan is simply not a very good coach from a strategic, game-planning perspective. And he's even more clueless regarding in-game adjustments. I think Murray had every reason to question his coaching acumen after a season and a half + at the wheel. 

2.) Nolan's personality and ability to establish and maintain key relationships with those he directly reports to. His previously earned rep of not being able to get along with others in an organization preceded his return to the Sabres and, again, after a year and a half into their relationship, Murray had a lot to go on in that regard. 

Murray gets the entire benefit of my doubt for at leas the next few seasons. He's just beginning to make his mark on the franchise and hasn't had enough time to be fully evaluated. 

GO SABRES!!!

Murray hadn't been GM two months when he sent down fookin' Battista.

But, in hindsight, it was something to be concerned about, no? And it all plays into an image of Murray that apparently concerns Babcock enough that we have to have this waiting game while he figures out if he can work with Murray.

Murray and Babcock worked together in Anaheim. They should have a good enough understanding of one another at this point to determine if they can work together.

And not to rehash to much about Nolan, but Murray and Nolan have completely different philosophies about the game. Murray wants to play a puck possession game and relies on analytics. Nolan plays a trap/counter attack game, and relies on hard work and hustle.

Babcock and Murray have a similar approach to the game, where as Nolan and Murray do not.

Edited by jad1

Defend your point.

Go. 

By Go! I mean go! find that YouTube clip.

He gets a pass bc he's hihgly repsected around the league and this year wasn't a season that mattered other than going for a top pick. And because he knew, as did TP, that nolan wouldnt be back. 

This is simply not true and has not been reported anywhere. 

It's amazing how hard you dig to find an issue with virtually everything that this team does. 

Why is Babcock hung up on the issue enough to have to have talks with Murray and delay signing on the dotted line?

Why does Tim Murray get a pass?  The answer is quite simple actually and his name is John Muckler.  When it is documented that as a coach you don't get along with multiple GMs, it is completely natural for the blame to shift more towards Nolan.  Sure, it's possible that he's a victim of a series of coincidences, but that definitely looks questionable.

Pegula wanted McDavid.  Murray wanted McDavid.  Nolan wanted to win as many games as possible.  It was an obvious tank job by the Sabres (thank God it was a successful one) and hence there was a ton of conflict in regards to keeping guys like Pysyk and McCabe down in Roch.  But the Sabres brought in Nolan last season to appease the fanbase about these losing seasons.  Couple that with PL just quitting on the franchise and there's no way Nolan could be fired in season.  Hence everyone just let the toxic environment play out.  Especially since Nolan is a poor x and o guy and could help the tank.

Not trying to nitpick, especially because I agree entirely with the premise of your post, but let's call a spade a spade: PL got his cranky, easily agitated ass fired. Pegula and Co. did the classy thing and gave him a nicer way out by letting him announce he had decided to pursue other opportunities. 

GO SABRES!!!

By Go! I mean go! find that YouTube clip.

Why is Babcock hung up on the issue enough to have to have talks with Murray and delay signing on the dotted line?

It's a good movie but you don't get a youtube clip for every reference. Speaking of which I really should watch Shawshank again, it's been a bit.

Not trying to nitpick, especially because I agree entirely with the premise of your post, but let's call a spade a spade: PL got his cranky, easily agitated ass fired. Pegula and Co. did the classy thing and gave him a nicer way out by letting him announce he had decided to pursue other opportunities. 

GO SABRES!!!

Ya that's probably more accurate.

Well it seems everything went to sh!t once I left work yesterday and the night crazies started. Sheesh.

To summarize - we are in the exact same position and waiting since Wawrow's news yesterday at 4pm? Am i missing something?

This is correct.

Murray hadn't been GM two months when he sent down fookin' Battista.

I was just trying to answer your post by giving two reasons why I give him a pass. I don't have any desire to debate what I think is a trivial point regarding how Miller was notified. I suspect there's a bit more to it than what you imply here, though. But it suits a narrative, so who am I to stand in the way?

GO SABRES!!!

Well it seems everything went to sh!t once I left work yesterday and the night crazies started. Sheesh.

To summarize - we are in the exact same position and waiting since Wawrow's news yesterday at 4pm? Am i missing something?

Certain posters don't get along well.  Other posters like to agitate.  There's the quick summary for you.

I was just trying to answer your post by giving two reasons why I give him a pass. I don't have any desire to debate what I think is a trivial point regarding how Miller was notified. I suspect there's a bit more to it than what you imply here, though. But it suits a narrative, so who am I to stand in the way?

GO SABRES!!!

What narrative? Their relationship was crappy and Murray owned up to his part of the responsibility in the Nolan firing presser. He admitted his hands weren't clean. Hamilton has said many times Nolan had ZERO input on player personnel. That's pretty extraordinary. I have no doubt it's on Babcock's mind. And, no, I don't have a link for that statement.

Why does Tim Murray get a pass?  The answer is quite simple actually and his name is John Muckler.  When it is documented that as a coach you don't get along with multiple GMs, it is completely natural for the blame to shift more towards Nolan.  Sure, it's possible that he's a victim of a series of coincidences, but that definitely looks questionable.

Muckler got fired.

Muckler got fired.

After a much longer time on the job.  When presented with a second coach-GM feud which involves the same coach as before, you're probably not going to be too fast to fire the GM who has been on the job a year and a half.