The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

It figures that you'd say that.  I was putting it between 65% - 82%.  I never thought Babcock to be a guy who actually wants to get the most out of his players.

No clue what your point is.  But what the hell.

Agreed. I just can't picture anyone at the pinnacle of their profession dogging it after relocating. It may not work out, but I don't think it'll be for lack of trying.

Furthermore, do we even know if his heart isn't in it? What if the hesitation really is mostly on his family? I'm not married, but I can't imagine it's an easy conversation to have to convince your wife to relocate if she really is happy where she's at. Regarding the money, I think perspective is important: the extra being offered by Buffalo isn't going to have much of an appreciable impact on their lifestyle. It's not like he's choosing between $50k and $5 million or $3 million and $300 million.

Another angle to look at is how difficult it is for most people to get out of their comfort zone (whether it's job, location, or simply daily routine). The money being necessary to break that comfort zone doesn't have to mean he doesn't want to do it.

It's also quite possible that the difference between, say, $13 million guaranteed from Detroit and $35 million guaranteed from Buffalo would have a significant impact on his wife's thinking. Setting the children and grandchildren up for life, and so forth.

I think Risto, Pysyk, Larsson and Reinhart would thrive under Babcock.

He'll adore Gionta and I feel pretty safe with Foligno and Gorges too.

Eichel and Girgensons will thrive under anyone.

I am very curious to see what his relationship with Ennis, Kane and Bogo will be.

Zadorov is going to be put through the wringer

I think Nikita is going to be parked in Rochester for at least one full season. I'm curious to see whether the Detroit philosophy of keeping the young ones in the AHL for as long as possible will extend to Reinhart or even Eichel.

It's also quite possible that the difference between, say, $13 million guaranteed from Detroit and $35 million guaranteed from Buffalo would have a significant impact on his wife's thinking. Setting the children and grandchildren up for life, and so forth.

Can we stop with "the wife" now?

This has nothing to do with the wife.

I know for a fact Darcy Regier's wife didn't want to see her husband fired and have to move to Phoenix, Arizona.

I am pretty sure Lindy's wife (still living in WNY) didn't want her husband to have to live in Dallas for most of the year.

happens.

A guy like Babcock is a focused, driven, ambitious, goal-oriented over-achiever and he is going to do what excites him on a professional/personal level.

The wife can stay at the family domicile in Detroit while Babcock lives in a secondary residence in Buffalo during the season.  These guys are on the road half the time as it is during hockey season.  

It's not a big deal.

I think Nikita is going to be parked in Rochester for at least one full season. I'm curious to see whether the Detroit philosophy of keeping the young ones in the AHL for as long as possible will extend to Reinhart or even Eichel.

Nikita 75% chance to be in Rochester or a different organization. Reinhart 25% chance to be in Rochester. Eichel 0% chance to be in Rochester.

In terms of another full season in AHL:

Big Z: no.

Eichel: no.

Reinhart: more questionable but likely no.

At least that's my 2 cents. 

Nikita 75% chance to be in Rochester or a different organization. Reinhart 25% chance to be in Rochester. Eichel 0% chance to be in Rochester.

Wo!  What?  You think Zadorov has a 75% chance to be in a different organization?

He is 1/2 of our future shutdown defensive pairing.

Curious why you say that.

Can we stop with "the wife" now?

This has nothing to do with the wife.

I know for a fact Darcy Regier's wife didn't want to see her husband fired and have to move to Phoenix, Arizona.

I am pretty sure Lindy's wife (still living in WNY) didn't want her husband to have to live in Dallas for most of the year.

###### happens.

A guy like Babcock is a focused, driven, ambitious, goal-oriented over-achiever and he is going to do what excites him on a professional/personal level.

The wife can stay at the family domicile in Detroit while Babcock lives in a secondary residence in Buffalo during the season. These guys are on the road half the time as it is during hockey season.

It's not a big deal.

Are you married? And do you know the Babcocks? Perhaps you're a sports agent that represents hockey coaches or GMs?

Because you're speaking awfully authoritatively (and borderline obnoxiously) on these topics.

Either way, it's hard to see the relevance of the feelings of the wife of a fired coach or GM -- who has to move if he wants to keep working-- to the feelings of the wife of a coach who has control over his situation.

Didn't Babcock come right out and say that his family would factor into his decision?

Yes indeed. It seems though that the FNG not only has the ability to see right through that BS, but also knows better than the rest of us.

Are you married? And do you know the Babcocks? Perhaps you're a sports agent that represents hockey coaches or GMs?

Because you're speaking awfully authoritatively (and borderline obnoxiously) on these topics.

Either way, it's hard to see the relevance of the feelings of the wife of a fired coach or GM -- who has to move if he wants to keep working-- to the feelings of the wife of a coach who has control over his situation.

You strike me as shockingly young, naive, or both.  

That's cool.

Didn't Babcock come right out and say that his family would factor into his decision?

Yeah but Weave, what people in public positions say in public and what they think in private are two different things.  You get that, right?

Also, even if the family was a consideration (it probably was in some small measure) it is not the controlling factor.  

If it is not controlling, it doesn't really matter for our purposes, right?

We are trying to guess if Babcock is going to come here or not.

I mean let's be honest: if he doesn't come here as the next coach of the Sabres, I have no interest in the man at all.

I assume that is the case among most posters here too.

If Nyquist and Tatar can thrive under Babcock, I don't see why Ennis would be an issue. And for all of the reports about Kane off the ice, I didn't read a single bad thing about him on the ice. I'm curious to see your reasoning on Bogo being a question mark.

I going to sound like Drane here, but he makes good points: with Babcock it's all about system and discipline.

• Babcock is an overbearing authority figure; Kane is his own man to a fault. If each sees the other as a meal ticket, then no problem. If they test each others boundaries...
  • I have no doubt Ennis will do what he's told, I just think Ennis is at his best when he is being unpredictable and he might end up looking more like Rolston Ennis than Nolan Ennis.
  • Bogo was anointed as lead dog by Nolan and was doing as he pleased, charging all over the ice like a stallion. He also has a history of bad penalties. Bad gambles and bad penalties aren't tolerated under Babcock.

I think and hope Babcock is a smart enough coach to play these guys to their strengths. But make no mistake, he will be laying down the law. Hard.

You just went 0-2.

1-5 overall won't keep you in the bigs long unless you've got a helluva defensive game.   :P

You have to remember that people on forums like this come from disparate walks of life.

Not everyone has experience dealing with all sorts of different things.

Yeah but Weave, what people in public positions say in public and what they think in private are two different things.  You get that, right?

Also, even if the family was a consideration (it probably was in some small measure) it is not the controlling factor.  

If it is not controlling, it doesn't really matter for our purposes, right?

We are trying to guess if Babcock is going to come here or not.

I mean let's be honest: if he doesn't come here as the next coach of the Sabres, I have no interest in the man at all.

I assume that is the case among most posters here too.

I'm not going to outright guess at his motivations.  If you want to, sure, go ahead.  But it's just a guess.

I think Risto, Pysyk, Larsson and Reinhart would thrive under Babcock.

He'll adore Gionta and I feel pretty safe with Foligno and Gorges too.

Eichel and Girgensons will thrive under anyone.

I am very curious to see what his relationship with Ennis, Kane and Bogo will be.

Zadorov is going to be put through the wringer

I think Risto if anyone will learn the most from Babcock. 

You have to remember that people on forums like this come from disparate walks of life.

Not everyone has experience dealing with all sorts of different things.

I've been around here with nfreeman long enough to have a pretty good sense of what he's experienced.  You're 0-2.  Get to know these folks before pigeon-holing them.

WTF do new guys do this every time? 

I'm not going to outright guess at his motivations.  If you want to, sure, go ahead.  But it's just a guess.

Oh, I'm not trying to suggest I chatted with Mike Babcock 10 minutes ago and know what he is thinking.

Did it come across like that?  I have no idea what his primary concern is with the upcoming choice he has to make.

I am just telling you that whatever his wife thinks is not the controlling factor.  I will guarantee that.

I don't need to know Mike personally to type that.

I've been around here with nfreeman long enough to have a pretty good sense of what he's experienced.  You're 0-2.  Get to know these folks before pigeon-holing them.

WTF do new guys do this every time? 

I am "pigeon holing" no one.  I base my comments on what people type.

Why are you pigeon holing me as "the new guy" and why do you present this bizarre, gang-oriented "turf" view of a conversation about hockey!?

I.E., this website is "your turf" and I am the "new guy" encroaching on it!

LOL.

Where the hell does that come from?

Are you in a gang in real life?

And you, apparently, don't have experience dealing with respectable debate.

Please explain.

Oh, I'm not trying to suggest I chatted with Mike Babcock 10 minutes ago and know what he is thinking.

Did it come across like that?  I have no idea what his primary concern is with the upcoming choice he has to make.

I am just telling you that whatever his wife thinks is not the controlling factor.  I will guarantee that.

I don't need to know Mike personally to type that.

Re-read what you just posted.

I'm not trying to suggest I chatted with Mike Babcock 10 minutes ago and know what he is thinking.

I am just telling you that whatever his wife thinks is not the controlling factor.

You are telling me you don't know what he is thinking and then tell me you know what he is thinking.

And yes, the way you present it very comes across like you know what is going through his head. 

Re-read what you just posted.

I'm not trying to suggest I chatted with Mike Babcock 10 minutes ago and know what he is thinking.

I am just telling you that whatever his wife thinks is not the controlling factor.

You are telling me you don't know what he is thinking and then tell me you know what he is thinking.

And yes, the way you present it very comes across like you know what is going through his head. 

You just want to phuk with me b/c I'm "the new guy" in this little world of 14 daily posters.

Admit it.