The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Did I hear the latest scuttlebutt correctly that Babs was sold on the Sabres, but the ol' battleaxe nixed it?

I see no reason to not take Murray's word on this. His WGR interview and the Babcock Toronto presser fill in the holes rather completely. This is going to be a long-ass summer if we take every BS utterance seriously.

I see no reason to not take Murray's word on this. His WGR interview and the Babcock Toronto presser fill in the holes rather completely. This is going to be a long-ass summer if we take every BS utterance seriously.

Babcock did say he couldn't make it work for his family.

Did I hear the latest scuttlebutt correctly that Babs was sold on the Sabres, but the ol' battleaxe nixed it?

It would make sense that Babs had comitted to Buffalo and when he wife couldn't be convinced that he went back to his friend Shanahan to bail him out so he didn;t have to go back to Detroit with his tail between his legs. I'm not sure we will ever hear the whole story but I can tell you that certain members of the Sabres' hierachy are not as forgiving as TM. Anyone who may have been out for lunch at the right place when the Babcock presser was on knows this all too well.

It would make sense that Babs had comitted to Buffalo and when he wife couldn't be convinced that he went back to his friend Shanahan to bail him out so he didn;t have to go back to Detroit with his tail between his legs. I'm not sure we will ever hear the whole story but I can tell you that certain members of the Sabres' hierachy are not as forgiving as TM. Anyone who may have been out for lunch at the right place when the Babcock presser was on knows this all too well.

Details? An overheard lunch in a public place is hardly betraying secrets.

You can say the same thing about Babcock. Babcock took over a a Ducks team that had won a Cup and lost in the Conference finals the two previous seasons and a Red Wings team that had averaged 110.8 points the five previous seasons including a Stanley Cup. Toronto is paying $50 million to a coach that has never coached a team in that position before.

No matter who the Sabres hire, that coach is going to be in uncharted territory for them. It's a great challenge and an opportunity to cement a legacy. If Dan Bylsma can take a franchise that has finished dead last in consecutive seasons and win a his second Cup with a second team then he forever becomes part of that top coaches conversation not to mention he would be treated like a a Hockey God here in Sabres Nation. 

I'd be less worried about Babcock because he kept a pretty decent Detroit squad at a high-ish level at the end of his Detroit tenure, but you're absolutely right that it'll be a challenge for whomever gets hired.

From Jay McKee

@JayMcKee74: Dan Bylsma to meet with the Sabres. For what it's worth, I thought he was an exceptional coach. Loved going to the arena every day under him

I liked the response he gave when asked why

@JayMcKee74: @hariaczyi_trent

Great teacher / attention to detail / players coach but demands work ethic.

Is Babcock's family possibly preferring one the largest cities in North America over Buffalo really noteworthy? Is there a story here? If so, could someone please point it out? 

Yes, it is noteworthy. Before this, I had no idea that Mrs. Babcock was an uninformed dimwit.

This is the second mention I've seen of Bylsma being a great teacher (the other being from Aud, I think).  I'm starting to worry less about Bylsma's in game tactics, because a great teacher that demands a good work ethic should be an ideal fit (props to Ghost) for this young squad.  If he's not the coach to put us over the top, we can always look elsewhere in ~3 years when we're looking to contend yearly.

Yes, it is noteworthy. Before this, I had no idea that Mrs. Babcock was an uninformed dimwit.

I'm from WNY and love it here, but I can totally understand why somebody would rather live in Toronto.  It's a great city.

Edited by qwksndmonster

This is the second mention I've seen of Bylsma being a great teacher (the other being from Aud, I think).  I'm starting to worry less about Bylsma's in game tactics, because a great teacher that demands a good work ethic should be an ideal fit (props to Ghost) for this young squad.  If he's not the coach to put us over the top, we can always look elsewhere in ~3 years when we're looking to contend yearly.

I'm from WNY and love it here, but I can totally understand why somebody would rather live in Toronto.  It's a great city.

Big cities are going to 'win out' over small cities 2 to 1.  From my experience, 1/3 of people want to live in a city like NY or Boston or Toronto and love Big city life.  1/3 of people like being in or near smaller cities, like Rochester, Buffalo, Milwaukee, etc.  The final 1/3 might take either, but they THINK big city life is better so they lean that way.

Exactly, it's not like they decided on Columbus over Buffalo. 

Big cities are going to 'win out' over small cities 2 to 1.  From my experience, 1/3 of people want to live in a city like NY or Boston or Toronto and love Big city life.  1/3 of people like being in or near smaller cities, like Rochester, Buffalo, Milwaukee, etc.  The final 1/3 might take either, but they THINK big city life is better so they lean that way.

Isn't it fair to say that Toronto is the entertainment and cultural capital of Canada? For a wealthy Canadian family there really is no choice between Buffalo and Toronto. 

:rolleyes: Nobody would ever choose another location over Buffalo if they're informed and smart, eh?

I live in the NYC for one reason, money. If I could make the same money in WNY I'm moving back. Period. I'd even take less money. There is nothing I can get here that I can't get in WNY, except for maybe lines thare are a lot longer and more a-holes. Thjis isn't the 1700s FFS.

And the funny thing is, it probably takes me longer to get into the city to be able to take advantadge of all the "benefits" of a big city than it would for her to go to TO and take advantage of it.

Babs can use his wife for and excuse if he wants to, but I will never buy that he didn't always want the TO gig and used Buffalo to maximize his dough. F him and his wife.

I live in the NYC for one reason, money. If I could make the same money in WNY I'm moving back. Period. I'd even take less money. There is nothing I can get here that I can't get in WNY, except for maybe lines thare are a lot longer and more a-holes. Thjis isn't the 1700s FFS.

And the funny thing is, it probably takes me longer to get into the city to be able to take advantadge of all the "benefits" of a big city than it would for her to go to TO and take advantage of it.

Babs can use his wife for and excuse if he wants to, but I will never buy that he didn't always want the TO gig and used Buffalo to maximize his dough. F him and his wife.

You said it yourself, you'd move "back." It's always an easier decision to come home. Babcock is not from Buffalo. If you had a choice between Calgary and New York City would you seriously move to Calgary? I doubt many WNYers, if any, would.  

To be angry with Mike Babcock or his family because they decided on Toronto over Buffalo is a waste of energy and really seems silly. It's time to put all this 

"whoa is us" BS behind us. It's not hard to understand why to Mike Babcock decided that Toronto is the greater challenge why his family would feel that Toronto as a city offers them more. What is there to mad about? 5 years ago I doubt Mike Babcock would give the Sabres anything more than a courtesy interview ala Mike Shanahan. The Sabres lost out to the greater challenge, no shame in that.  

This is the second mention I've seen of Bylsma being a great teacher (the other being from Aud, I think). I'm starting to worry less about Bylsma's in game tactics, because a great teacher that demands a good work ethic should be an ideal fit (props to Ghost) for this young squad. If he's not the coach to put us over the top, we can always look elsewhere in ~3 years when we're looking to contend yearly.

I'm from WNY and love it here, but I can totally understand why somebody would rather live in Toronto. It's a great city.

But Toronto is just 90 minutes from Buffalo. For god's sake they lived in frickin' Detroit. Are you telling me Mrs.Babcock thought Buffalo was a step down? Yes, Toronto is all that and a bag of chips, but you'd think for what Mr.Babcock was going to be paid, plus the perks like Air Pegula and the Florida condo, she'd let her husband work for the better franchise.

But Toronto is just 90 minutes from Buffalo. For god's sake they lived in frickin' Detroit. Are you telling me Mrs.Babcock thought Buffalo was a step down? Yes, Toronto is all that and a bag of chips, but you'd think for what Mr.Babcock was going to be paid, plus the perks like Air Pegula and the Florida condo, she'd let her husband work for the better franchise.

Which is? Maybe Mike came to his own conclusion after thinking about Brendan Shanahan as president in Toronto vs. who exactly in Buffalo? Senior advisor Craig Patrick — the Pegulas — Joe Battista — and...?

What makes the Sabres the better franchise? Because they lost on purpose and the Leafs just lost? Mike Babcock is a coach looking for his next challenge in life. Turning around the Maple Leafs wouldn't just make him a regional hero like here in Buffalo, the man would become a national Canadian icon.

Trying to make this about Mike Babcock's wife is extremely petty and small time.  

Edited by DeLuca1967

You said it yourself, you'd move "back." It's always an easier decision to come home. Babcock is not from Buffalo. If you had a choice between Calgary and New York City would you seriously move to Calgary? I doubt many WNYers, if any, would.  

To be angry with Mike Babcock or his family because they decided on Toronto over Buffalo is a waste of energy and really seems silly. It's time to put all this 

"whoa is us" BS behind us. It's not hard to understand why to Mike Babcock decided that Toronto is the greater challenge why his family would feel that Toronto as a city offers them more. What is there to mad about? 5 years ago I doubt Mike Babcock would give the Sabres anything more than a courtesy interview ala Mike Shanahan. The Sabres lost out to the greater challenge, no shame in that.  

Ugh, what a horrible choice to have to make.  Bitter cold versus cesspool.

It's time to move on from the Babcock thing. Maybe his wife would rather live in Toronto. He's gone and in a worse situation, talent-wise, than he would if he came here. But maybe he does become the great Canadian hero. Oh well. There are other coaches.

Good coach + great young talent + great owner + great GM - too many bad contracts with under-performing almost untradeable players > great coach + Toronto right now

I'm not convinced any NHL coach these days is really "great".  I mean sure some are better than others but the difference between Babcock and the rest is minimal.  

I agree with this. The gap has decreased significantly, not unlike goaltending.

Coming from Detroit where they lived for a decade in a similar city/suburban area comparable to Buffalo, I wouldn't have thought there would be a problem coming here.  That being said, I am not sure where Mrs. Babcock grew up.  Maybe she is from the GTA.

Unless you are used to the big city lifestyle, the traffic alone can be a major culture shock.

Edited by LabattBlue