The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

does anyone know if his wife has been with him touring the area.

i don't. does anyone know whether she did not tour the buffalo area? who's to say she didn't last week when he visited? she wasn't seen at the tour of harbourcenter -- but maybe she was off getting a look at homes in east amherst?

As opposed to the popcorn in Buffalo and SJ?  Just WTF is your ###### problem?

Ha!  I get you. 

We aren't known for our popcorn. This is looking bad. 

Used to be, at the Aud.  I can't remember whom, but I recall a player talking up how good the popcorn was at the Aud when I was a kid.

W/ Wednesday nearing, every time I see this thread at the top of the board I have a sense of hope/excitement that Babcock has announced his decision to coach Buffalo. 

I'm assuming the thread name will be changed or a new thread started.  Plus I follow WGR on FB so I may find out there first anyway.  At this point I hate myself every time I see a new post, click on the thread, and read about popcorn.

Hmmm. I thought Babcock's decision was going to be the first domino to fall. Or, maybe it has fallen...

They never talked to him or even showed interest in him. Same with Philly who also named their coach this morning.

The Oilers haven't actually named him yet. SportsNet tweeted that he will be named in the coming days. It's happening.

They never talked to him or even showed interest in him. Same with Philly who also named their coach this morning.

The Oilers haven't actually named him yet. SportsNet tweeted that he will be named in the coming days. It's happening.

I never said anything about Babcock going to Edmonton, but rather was thinking about McLellan going somewhere else besides The Black Hole of Hockey, like to a team that loses the Babcock derby. Suppose Babcock stays in Detroit, then McLellan's bargaining power increases tremendously. We did (maybe) interview him. It's strange he would sign before gaining the upper hand in the coaching search, even if the Oilers are his top choice.

Brad May LOVES popcorn. Terry should have let him drive Babcock around.

Now I have to disclose a conflict of interest. At one time, I actually served Delaware North popcorn. It was all prepopped in those giant bags, and we'd just throw them into the machine to be under the heat lamp. But.....the key was the butter. I always asked, and if someone wanted it, I didn't half ass it and squirt a little on top like a lot of bozos at the theatre. I had a 4 level process of scoop and squirt.....scoop and squirt....scoop and squirt...scoop and squirt.....

To all my fellow posters who attended a Buffalo sporting event circa the early 1990's.......enjoy that visual, and have a good night's sleep.......

http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buffalo-sabres/7/116/128444/report-sabres-filed-paperwork-hire-mike-babcock

Sabres have officially filed paperwork to hire Babcock, including the knowledge that they will be giving up a 3rd round pick.

I believe teams by now have an idea if they are still in the mix, which is why Oilers and Flyers have moved on.

I believe the Sabres, Leafs, and Red Wings are finalists.  I read that Babcock has meeting with Holland tomorrow.  I can't imagine the Sabres doing this if they thought they didn't have a chance.  Likewise, I'm sure they would have gone after McLellan had they known they were out of the Babcock sweepstakes.

So, for now, looks like are one of the few still alive for Babcock's services.

Edited by dejeanneret

http://buffalo.suntimes.com/buffalo-sabres/7/116/128444/report-sabres-filed-paperwork-hire-mike-babcock

Sabres have officially filed paperwork to hire Babcock, including the knowledge that they will be giving up a 3rd round pick.

I believe teams by now have an idea if they are still in the mix, which is why Oilers and Flyers have moved on.

I believe the Sabres, Leafs, and Red Wings are finalists.  I read that Babcock has meeting with Holland tomorrow.  I can't imagine the Sabres doing this if they thought they didn't have a chance.  Likewise, I'm sure they would have gone after McLellan had they known they were out of the Babcock sweepstakes.

You have to take that site with a grain of salt. They don't really break anything, just repackage old news.

So, in the modern era, only one coach has won Stanley Cups with more than one team, Scotty Bowman. Do we really think that Babcock is that second guy to do it? Or even Bylsma? Does this fact even matter? I'm pretty indifferent to Babs, but Bowman is a freak of nature and I just don't see that same drive in Babcock to will a team to a SC for a second time.

And no offense to the womenfolk out there (especially since today is my 19th wedding anniversary), but I don't want to hear that his wife is playing a part in his decision if the goal is to win a SC.

So Babcock is done talking to teams and will now sit with his family to make the decision. Sabres feel they've done enough to convince him to join the organization. You guys optimistic? I'm about 50/50 right now.

Edited by Derrico

I believe the Sabres, Leafs, and Red Wings are finalists. I read that Babcock has meeting with Holland tomorrow. I can't imagine the Sabres doing this if they thought they didn't have a chance. Likewise, I'm sure they would have gone after McLellan had they known they were out of the Babcock sweepstakes.

This news came out a few days ago. It's what every team had to do to talk with Babcock.

I'll be happy to get him, and happy to move on.

I actually like what the Flyers did, looking at an off-the-radar guy with a nice track record that they like a lot and giving him a shot.

I'm not sure its been mentioned but apparently this guy coached Hextals son.

So Babcock is done talking to teams and will now sit with his family to make the decision. Sabres feel they've done enough to convince him to join the organization. You guys optimistic? I'm about 50/50 right now.

It's being reported, on here, that Babs will meet with Holland tomorrow.

In order to make his deadline day of Wednesday would mean he went to San Jose today. I don't think he did and that says nothing of rumors of the Blues wanting to grab the headline for a dsay too. 

And now, I'm being told there is a potential this may go on longer than expected. Friday seems like the day now according to me.

Aye!

It's being reported, on here, that Babs will meet with Holland tomorrow.

In order to make his deadline day of Wednesday would mean he went to San Jose today. I don't think he did and that says nothing of rumors of the Blues wanting to grab the headline for a dsay too. 

And now, I'm being told there is a potential this may go on longer than expected. Friday seems like the day now according to me.

Aye!

It was reported that he already spoke with St. Louis in Prague. That might've been the extent of their pursuit. If he's truly done talking to teams that means he may have just settled for a conversation with San Jose instead of a full-on visit. I think it gets done by Wednesday. In fact, I think we'll heard reports of his decision by the end of the day tomorrow.

I'd say right now the odds of where Babcock is going is:

Red Wings 50%

Sabres    20%

Leafs    10%

Blues  10%

Sharks 10%

The reason why Sabres have a slight edge is that they have an aggressive billionaire owner with an aggressive GM who has experience working with Babs along with a farm team that is better than everyone on the map and is an up and coming franchise.

The Leafs are a mess.  St. Louis and SJ are both in ruts that their GM's cant get them out of and their farm team is no where near ours.

With all of that being said, I think the ball is in Detroit's court.  Although he denied it, I believe this little ploy was about money.  He probably wanted a certain amount and Detroit told him to go out there and see what he was worth and come back.  Now that he knows, he'll sit down with Holland and see if the Wings are willing to pay him what he wants.  If not, he'll go to the team he likes the most.

I think if the Wings would have offered him the money he wanted in the first place this whole thing wouldn't have happened.

Period.

So it's a wait and see until Holland and Babs talk $$$ tomorrow.

Edited by dejeanneret

I think St. Lou and SJ were last minute tire-kicking/due diligence.

It's the comfort of Detroit versus the money and challenge of Buffalo.

I think he confirms with Holland exactly where he stands, then he decides.

Edited by dudacek

I legitimately have no clue. My gut tells me he's going back to Detroit, but I do think we're in this or were until the very end. I wouldn't be surprised by comments in a return interview to Detroit about how much Buffalo has to offer.

I'll say it's 60-40 Detroit. We're 35 of the 40 and the 5% is the mystery few others (Toronto, San Jose and St. Louis).

I legitimately have no clue. My gut tells me he's going back to Detroit, but I do think we're in this or were until the very end. I wouldn't be surprised by comments in a return interview to Detroit about how much Buffalo has to offer.

I'll say it's 60-40 Detroit. We're 35 of the 40 and the 5% is the mystery few others (Toronto, San Jose and St. Louis).

I would agree with those odds. 

I like this thought and have to agree. But what the hell was the trip about with Holland? Must be they specifically wanted to see some Czech or maybe an American? :w00t: