The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Have you been to Big Sur or Carmel? Freaking incredible.

Agree if you can afford the Bay area it is amazing and Rte 1 down to St. louis Obispo is special. My wife won't let me drive because of the views, afraid I'll get distracted and Drive off a cliff.

Edited by North Buffalo

This. Times 1,000.

If we threw everything at him including the kitchen sink and he is still heading out to SJ....it means he ain't coming here.

Or, as GMTM would say, it doesn't cost anything to listen.

Besides Babcock,do we know anyone who has definitely interviewed with Buffalo?

Richardson, McLellan and Deboer have been linked by the media, and McLean speculated.

But has anyone confirmed interviews? And Bylsma, I haven't seen his name linked to the Sabres by the media at all.

Unfortunately, this is reminding me of when DR conducted his extensive coaching candidate search of just interviewing Rolston.

If it's true that Babcock contacted San Jose, then I hope the Sabres have plan b ready minutes after Babcock makes his decision.  While I think there are other coaches that will be just as good as Babcock, I'm leaning towards someone that has had success at the NHL level.  Those candidates will probably be gone soon after Babcock decides who he will grace with his presence.

That part of the state is pretty, but the political/social environment makes NYS seem desirable.

As opposed to the sober, honest, efficient, fiscally conservative governments in NYS and Detroit?  Are you joking?  And is there anything whatsoever to suggest that Babcock gives a crap about those issues at all?

Scratch Flyers off Babcock's List

@frank_seravalli: #Flyers have hired former North Dakota coach Dave Hakstol as 19th head coach in team history.

Interesting move. That changes the landscape for the rest of the coaches not named Babcock. 

Edited by X. Benedict

It just doesn't feel like there is enough "Babcock to Buffalo" buzz for me to believe this could really happen.  I wholeheartedly agree with going all in for him, though, since there is plenty of time to hire another coach.  I guess we'll know by Wednesday. 

Wow. 

Can anyone remember an NCAA head coach jumping straight into an NHL HC job?

Thinking. ... Thinking. Can't think of one.

It just doesn't feel like there is enough "Babcock to Buffalo" buzz for me to believe this could really happen.  

I have no idea what's going to happen, but I believe that the absence of buzz would, if anything, tend to weigh in favor of him coming here.

As opposed to the sober, honest, efficient, fiscally conservative governments in NYS and Detroit? Are you joking? And is there anything whatsoever to suggest that Babcock gives a crap about those issues at all?

That's a political statement that isn't appropriate for this forum, or so I've been told.

I don't think that can be right. Herb coached at Minnesota before taking the Olympic team, and then he went to Europe before coaching the Rangers in the early 80's.

He was a St. Cloud State for a year before going back to Minnesota in 87. Last time it happened. He had previous NHL jobs but he is still the last to be coaching college one year and the pros the next.

He was a St. Cloud State for a year before going back to Minnesota in 87. Last time it happened. He had previous NHL jobs but he is still the last to be coaching college one year and the pros the next.

Okay. I thought you overlooked his previous NHL experience. 

That's a political statement that isn't appropriate for this forum, or so I've been told.

Ha!  As it happens I wrestled with this very issue.  There is a key difference in the 2 situations -- you threw an unsolicited political statement into the awesome thread, while Sizzle speculated, in the Babcock thread, that the political scene in CA might affect Babcock's decision -- and I responded that there is really no difference in that regard between NY and CA.

Regardless of whether you buy the distinction, I continue to believe that political discussions belong in the political thread, and only in the political thread.

It should also make you think that the other options he currently has, including the Sabres, aren't the answer to what he is looking for.

I've moved on from considering him a candidate.

This is where I am as well.  I get that it's a huge decision for him to make, but the "there's not a better job, there's a different job" quote still bugs me.  I don't want a HC who feels "meh" on my team; I want a guy who comes out of his meeting with GMTM and the Pegulas like this:

http://youtu.be/VGBB929PFKc

Edit: huh -- not sure why that link won't embed.

Edited by biodork

This is where I am as well.  I get that it's a huge decision for him to make, but the "there's not a better job, there's a different job" quote still bugs me.  I don't want a HC who feels "meh" on my team; I want a guy who comes out of his meeting with GMTM and the Pegulas like this:

http://youtu.be/VGBB929PFKc

Edit: huh -- not sure why that link won't embed.