The Next Coach of the Buffalo Sabres

IKnowPhysics

Wow, if we really get him then giddy up. Playoff projection moves up from 16/17 to this season imo.

Meaning we'll be a palyoff team next year? I doubt it, but I look at what Babcock has done in grooming the younger Detroit players into NHL players and it gets me stoked that our younger guys will be learning something else other than effort. 

No kidding.  Wow, what a dumb thing to do.

He should have learned from this

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/kevin-sumlin-really-did-fire-the-pool-boy-who-overheard-him-on-the-phone-201227822.html

Nick Filipowski

@NICK_WKBW

BREAKING: Mike Babcock just walked out of FNC with Terry & Kim Pegula along with GM Tim Murray @WKBW #Sabres pic.twitter.com/03rN95OQzG

Taking him to Tempo?

Hoss, do they teach "I'm hearing" at journalism/mass comm school? I hope not. Jeez, that's lazy. Who's he hearing it from? I need to know in order to evaluate it. I assume he's not hearing it from top sources, or he would have written that.

BREAKING: Mike Babcock just walked out of FNC with Terry & Kim Pegula along with GM Tim Murray @WKBW #Sabres pic.twitter.com/03rN95OQzG

Is that enough proof?

Meaning we'll be a palyoff team next year? I doubt it, but I look at what Babcock has done in grooming the younger Detroit players into NHL players and it gets me stoked that our younger guys will be learning something else other than effort.

It was a quick turnaround in Calgary. Our top 6 will hopefully have Eichel, Reinhart and Kane. Half our top 6 that played less than 10 games for us last year. If we can pull in ROR then ur talking 4 of 6! Not to mention risto another year older and adding another top 4 d in pysyk. Throw in a world class coach and I think this is a quick turnaround. Would I bet on playoffs? Probably nothing monetary but wouldn't surprise me either. Look at the jump Calgary made this past year and how can u not like our young guys more?

Babcock's plane just left Prior

With or without a contract in hand???? Even if it's unsigned. After watching Eichel next week he can sign in the stands.

I believe the Pegulas are also on that flight. The same plane is scheduled to leave Detroit 45 mins after landing and head to Boca Raton. It also appears the Pegulas flew to Detroit and picked him up as well.

I believe the Pegulas are also on that flight. The same plane is scheduled to leave Detroit 45 mins after landing and head to Boca Raton. It also appears the Pegulas flew to Detroit and picked him up as well.

Whoa. Go on...

Whoa. Go on...

He's right. They all left Prior together.

On the flight going to Detroit and then Boca Raton: I doubt Babcock will be going with them. If he were why would they go to Detroit first? They're liking dropping Babs off... Or picking up his family?

Edited by Hoss

Wawrow filed this story.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05/10/babcock-declines-comment-after-meeting-with-buffalo-sabres-owner/

He's right. They all left Prior together.

On the flight going to Detroit and then Boca Raton: I doubt Babcock will be going with them. If he were why would they go to Detroit first? They're liking dropping Babs off... Or picking up his family?

Most likely dropping Babcock off, but the flight is scheduled to be on the ground for 35 mins before departing.

Could they be picking up his family and taking them to Florida so his wife can get to know the Pegulas better? Hopefully

If we get Babcock, does it 100% guarantee we'll win a Stanley Cup? No, nothing does.

Could there be an untested coach who could do a better job? It's possible.

However, in a very short list of available coaches who have had long term successes at a high level with multiple teams, there is no one who can approach Babcock, and that makes him easily the best chance you have to start winning sooner than later.

Plus, I'm sure GMTM has an idea of the type of hockey he wants the Sabres to play and has been working to build that team. You know he's going to hire a coach who shares the same philosophy. It seems to be Babcock is the perfect coach to coach that team.

Wawrow filed this story.

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2015/05/10/babcock-declines-comment-after-meeting-with-buffalo-sabres-owner/

Most likely dropping Babcock off, but the flight is scheduled to be on the ground for 35 mins before departing.

Could they be picking up his family and taking them to Florida so his wife can get to know the Pegulas better? Hopefully

But Kim wasn't on the flight, according to John Wawrow.

Yes, he is consistant. He is a good and influential coach.

If he ends up in Buffalo, that is not a bad thing. You hit the point....why the 99% attention? Apple is great. Why is it so consistant? Detroit had a few more Cups the decade before if I remember....but there was one constant.

Your best 5 players are in order:

1) A 23 year old power forward who was lambasted for sharing his Vegas success with the public, and who has no problem speaking his mind inside the room even if people don't like it.

2) An 18 year old big boy center who has no problem chugging beer on camera and has been the king of the court in his hometown the past year.

3) A 24 year old defenseman who has the skill of a top European, but the intelligence and mindset on the ice of Butkus or Nitschke. He is a rover to be trusted by nature.

4) A 21 year old Latvian who likes to hit, hustle, and wear cheap prostitutes' clothing.

5) Ristolainen....and/or, a 20 year old Russian bear who enjoys leaving his position on occasion to maul a victim, then skate by Rob Ray on his way to the bench and call him an elderly #####.

Who has the skill and temperment to let guys like that thrive?

This isn't:

Lidstrom

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Holmstrom

Franzen

Samuelsson

Flippula

with an occasional Kronwall thrown in......

There are dirt horses....and there are turf horses.......sometimes you need to know which type of horses you have and who is the best to train them.......

Babcock is still my #1 with a bullet, but this and a couple of your other ones have gotten Bylsma promoted to #2. Very nice.

But Staal was also a bigger contributor than Miro.

Yes, he is consistant. He is a good and influential coach.

If he ends up in Buffalo, that is not a bad thing. You hit the point....why the 99% attention? Apple is great. Why is it so consistant? Detroit had a few more Cups the decade before if I remember....but there was one constant.

Your best 5 players are in order:

1) A 23 year old power forward who was lambasted for sharing his Vegas success with the public, and who has no problem speaking his mind inside the room even if people don't like it.

2) An 18 year old big boy center who has no problem chugging beer on camera and has been the king of the court in his hometown the past year.

3) A 24 year old defenseman who has the skill of a top European, but the intelligence and mindset on the ice of Butkus or Nitschke. He is a rover to be trusted by nature.

4) A 21 year old Latvian who likes to hit, hustle, and wear cheap prostitutes' clothing.

5) Ristolainen....and/or, a 20 year old Russian bear who enjoys leaving his position on occasion to maul a victim, then skate by Rob Ray on his way to the bench and call him an elderly #####.

Who has the skill and temperment to let guys like that thrive?

This isn't:

Lidstrom

Datsyuk

Zetterberg

Holmstrom

Franzen

Samuelsson

Flippula

with an occasional Kronwall thrown in......

There are dirt horses....and there are turf horses.......sometimes you need to know which type of horses you have and who is the best to train them.......

Good post.

In regards to your question, I do personally believe that Babcock has the skill and temperment to let those guys thrive. Young guys like Risto, Bogosian and Girgensons will be keenly aware of the pedigree of a coach like Babcock, just like the fans are. I think this will mean they will be of a mindset that, "hey, this is a guy we need to listen to", and will be all ears when it comes to what Babcock is saying. As long as what Babcock is saying is valuable, and I think we can be sure it will be, and everyone maintains a bit of patience, the young guys will benefit greatly.

Jack Eichel has I think already proven himself to be very coachable, see: doesn't need a ton of coaching up, and would thrive greatly under the strategies and systems of a guy like Babcock. He could also work wonders with a guy like Reinhart, specifically.

If we are lucky enough to get Babcock, he's not going to come in here and automatically cause a +5 attribute raise to each of our players current skill sets. But I do believe that with patience and a bit of time for the team to grow into itself, with Babcock at the helm, it could achieve great things. Babcock isn't old for a coach, as long as himself and GMTM are on the same page in terms of timeline, hopefully still a relatively realistic one, I would be thrilled with the potential hire.

Edited by Thorny

I'll tell ya another thing about Babcock:  the Red Wings play a highly effective puck possession system that is an aesthetically pleasing brand of hockey (IMHO anyway). 

That system, btw, does not in anyway stifle the Butkus instincts of Kronwall, who is at least as much a search-and-destroy type as Bogo is.

The players will buy into Babcock's system immediately, and if they have good hockey IQ they will learn it quickly and start controlling the puck instead of chasing it.

I wonder what Babcock's opinion of Reinhart is.

Let's hope we find out.

When ever I read these words, this is all I hear:

hahaha that is awesome. As soon as I saw you posted a link, I thought it was going there. Didn't even think of that when I posted.

......U.S. Americans.

"every where like, the iraq, like, such as". It's cringeworthy but still so funny.

Edited by Thorny

I think the other thing Babcock would bring is he would eliminate the uncertainty. It was easy to second guess how Nolan or Rolston or even Ruff handled young players or how they played their veterans but I'm guessing Babcock knows how to handle his team.

It was a quick turnaround in Calgary. Our top 6 will hopefully have Eichel, Reinhart and Kane. Half our top 6 that played less than 10 games for us last year. If we can pull in ROR then ur talking 4 of 6! Not to mention risto another year older and adding another top 4 d in pysyk. Throw in a world class coach and I think this is a quick turnaround. Would I bet on playoffs? Probably nothing monetary but wouldn't surprise me either. Look at the jump Calgary made this past year and how can u not like our young guys more?

I think a new coach will take time to implement a system and get used to his players; you can't win a division in November, but you can lose it. Also, the Flames had solid vet goaltender and a somewhat seasoned Monahan as their #1 center and boy did he play the part. The Sabres top two centers thus far are Eichel and Reinhart, both rookies bound to do rookie things. 

A Sabres playoff berth would mean a near 100% increase in points, or 40 more points. I think with the amount of youth we have playing pivotal roles on our team 90+ points won't happen. 

Your argument is well made, but the supposition is that Babcock can't handle the "dirt horses". He's a smart fellow, I would have to think he knows what he would be getting into. This isn't Ruff we're talking about, here, or Nolan, for that matter.

Indeed, you could actually say that what Babcock may want is a team like this, after having to coach a certain style all of these years. Maybe he's tired of the culture and style of play he has had in Detroit; kind of like having to eat steak and salad all of time. Maybe he wants BBQ brisket, nachos, and bacon burgers now.

I'll tell ya another thing about Babcock:  the Red Wings play a highly effective puck possession system that is an aesthetically pleasing brand of hockey (IMHO anyway). 

That system, btw, does not in anyway stifle the Butkus instincts of Kronwall, who is at least as much a search-and-destroy type as Bogo is.

The players will buy into Babcock's system immediately, and if they have good hockey IQ they will learn it quickly and start controlling the puck instead of chasing it.

I wonder what Babcock's opinion of Reinhart is.

Let's hope we find out.

Well said. As to Reinhart, my guess is Babcock would have quite the mancrush going on.

I think the other thing Babcock would bring is he would eliminate the uncertainty. It was easy to second guess how Nolan or Rolston or even Ruff handled young players or how they played their veterans but I'm guessing Babcock knows how to handle his team.

This is pro sports, there will always be those of us (myself very much included) who think we know better! :)