Johan Larsson

mjd1001

It seems has if he has been producing a lot of points lately, for a team that doesn't really score too many goals, so for fun I looked into his stats/game log this year.

Now, I am NOT by any means saying we can expect this kind of production out of him based on projecting his stats, as we all know how a few years ago Foligno has a short run where we projected him to be a regular 20-30 goal scorer. But, I wanted to project his stats to see what kind of production the Sabres have been getting out of him lately.

He has been with the team, for the most part, since a call-up on Feb 15 vs the Flyers.  After that call-up, in his next 10 games, he had 0 goals and 1 assist. He averaged just over 10 minutes of ice time per game.

Since game 11 of this most recent stretch until now (a March 7 game against Washington until now), he has played 13 games, 4 goals, 7 assists, 11 points.In this stretch, he is averaging over 20 minutes a game, putting him near the very top of ice time per game among forwards.  Also of note, for the entire year, he is a positive player (+1 through 35 games...on a team this is a -107 in goal differential.)

I'm just wondering where he fits on this team long term.  He obviously isn't just a little better when playing with good teammates and getting more ice time, he is a LOT better when getting more ice time.  Yet, if you slot him into a 4th line role going forward, how valuable will he be?

Gasp to think about this..but if the Sabres do NOT finish 30th, do they do something like Draft Hanifan, go with the Nashville model (D-men of Risto, Zadarov, Bogosian, Pysyk, Hanifan) where they can really REALLY shut down most teams, and you have forward lines centered by Reinhart, Girgensons, Larson.....with some talent on the wing to go with them?

If you want to talk about the Nashville model, Larsson's top side is Mike Fisher.

I like the kid. I penciled him in for the fourth line next year, but I'm seeing a versatile middle six forward.

Next to Risto, he is the best thing to come out of this season.

When our team is a contender again he's a 3rd line winger who can take draws, and be on a PK unit. He can move into a top six role when injuries occur. On a championship team he centers the 4th line, similar to Greg Campbell's role on the Bruins Cup team. A 4th line on a team like that gets decent ice time and are not a liability, unlike our 4th lines of the past few years.

When our team is a contender again he's a 3rd line winger who can take draws, and be on a PK unit. He can move into a top six role when injuries occur. On a championship team he centers the 4th line, similar to Greg Campbell's role on the Bruins Cup team. A 4th line on a team like that gets decent ice time and are not a liability, unlike our 4th lines of the past few years.

Hopefully we can roll four lines in the near future which imo is the best scenario if you want to go far in the playoffs.

The Sabres need Larsson and other younger players to start cementing their place on this roster. It's an important part of the rebuild. Drafting and trading for prospects is step one, the next step is for those players to earn their place with the Sabres.

Girgensons

Ristolainen

Zadorov

and now Larsson, if he can maintain.

The future is already here, the first pieces of the next Sabres Cup contender are already in place.

The Sabres need Larsson and other younger players to start cementing their place on this roster. It's an important part of the rebuild. Drafting and trading for prospects is step one, the next step is for those players to earn their place with the Sabres.

Girgensons

Ristolainen

Zadorov

and now Larsson, if he can maintain.

The future is already here, the first pieces of the next Sabres Cup contender are already in place.

Much as I want this to be true, it's not.

He's just not focused enough and the big plays we saw to balance his mistakes out in November/December aren't happening any more.

Funny how just last year Paul Hamilton said on WGR, "There are no forwards currently in Rochester who have a future in the NHL."

He was specifically asked about Johan Larsson, and he said even he was not going to make it. Lol.

Definitely. I love the kid and still have high hopes.

Just responding to Deluca's suggestion that he has cemented his place.

Are you joking about him not making plays? His blue-line to blue-line play the other night was beautiful, so was his assist on Matt Ellis' goal.

He's just not focused enough and the big plays we saw to balance his mistakes out in November/December aren't happening any more.

I have questions about Zadorov but will patiently wait to see if a half season or more in Rochester helps to mold him.  His ceiling is Pronger but his floor is Butler. 

Pysik if his health issues are temporary. Zadorov will be pushed and hopefully rise to the challenge.

I have questions about Zadorov but will patiently wait to see if a half season or more in Rochester helps to mold him.  His ceiling is Pronger but his floor is Butler. 

That's crap. His floor is not Chris Butler. That's crap.

I am really looking forward what Larsson may become.

Hacket was already a bust in the JP29 trade. Left are Zadorov, Larsson and second rounder I do not know we converted into.

Trade winner is still pending, but I believe it will be a win win hockey trade for both teams because JP fits very well to the Wild right now and we have the better players around when it counts for us.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.