2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Does he now?

Well, I need to have a word with him. That place used to ooze hospitality. Last two times I was there? Not so much.

Ah, so you're thinking near the arena for dinner. Let me give that some thought. I'm sure others will too.

Well, he's at Oliver's a lot more now that he bought that, and he's also developing Sear downtown.  So maybe his absence has caused the staff to slack?  But I've had nothing but great experiences at Creekview, even lately.

As for dinner near the Arena, there are so many options now that ct fab is going to have to give us some ideas on price points and kinds of foods that he and his kids like.

I do not recommend the food at Pearl Street.  Great people, to be sure, but the food isn't even middling.  The whisky pours are decent, though.

Edited by Eleven

Well, he's at Oliver's a lot more now that he bought that, and he's also developing Sear downtown.  So maybe his absence has caused the staff to slack?  But I've had nothing but great experiences at Creekview, even lately.

As for dinner near the Arena, there are so many options now that ct fab is going to have to give us some ideas on price points and kinds of foods that he and his kids like.

I do not recommend the food at Pearl Street.  Great people, to be sure, but the food isn't even middling.  The whisky pours are decent, though.

Good intell on Schutte. And you know, I forgot he took over Oliver's. That is no light lift. I wonder whether my experiences were a consequence of getting spread a bit thin. I'll tell ya, man: The one time I was there this year I encountered a hostess, wait staff, and a bartender who made me embarrassed I recommended the place to our group of 6.

Anyway. @ct fab: Everything Eleven says above is spot on. I really enjoy the Pearl Street bar scene. I never eat there. The same guy who's behind Pearl Street is heavily involved in the Riverworks complex. I'd give Riverworks a similar review: Fun crowd and vibe, good bar scene, but so-so-so food.

Price doesn't matter - not to sound arrogant, but I'm used to NYC and CT pricing and with what I paid for the draft tickets .....  We went to Pearl Street Brewery when we were in town a couple of months ago and the wings were surprisingly good.  To preface that, wings tend to suck around here as they never cook them long enough.  We'll eat in the arena Friday night, but plan to eat around Pearl Street after Saturday's draft.  What I'd love Saturday is a place with a good beer battered fish fry. Again, fried fish in CT/NYC tends to be inadequate - I don't mind travelling for the fish fry either.

Alright, here's the data (close to Hoss's valued analysis but correcting the Chicago and Anaheim errors, and structuring things a bit differently):

17 of 29 teams (59%) have completely correct handedness, all the way through. I think this already dispels the "luxury"  notion from Baker, as the majority have achieved the correct handedness throughout the lineup. 

12 of 29 teams (41%) have some sort of "incorrect handedness" - Anaheim, Carolina, Colorado, Detroit, Edmonton, Nashville, Philadelphia, St. Louis, Tampa Bay, Toronto, Vancouver, Washington. (Hoss - you didn't have St. Louis listed but they have a player playing the opposite side, but I removed New Jersey as they have proper handedness, and Chicago for the same reason.)

Only 4 teams have a player on the offhand on their top 4. 25/29 teams have a proper handed top pair. 

Only 7 teams have a player on the offhand in the top 4. That's 76% of teams that have proper handedness in the top 4. 

To True's point - there are almost no big name D playing the offhand. The four Top-Pairing D playing the offhand are: Zadorov, Dekyser, Streit, and Martin Marincin of Toronto.  The only two I would really call big names would be Kronwall for Detroit and Gostisbehere for Philadelphia, both playing the offhand on the second pair. 

So in summary, I think the "luxury" designation has been dispelled, and in general, the vast  majority of teams have proper handedness in their top 4, almost all have proper handedness in top pairing, and while it appears that a fair few (while still a minority) have offhanded players on their rosters, there aren't many big names among the bunch.

It shouldn't be defined as a luxury when almost all teams have it. I'll do the legwork. 

So my original statement should be amended. The majority of teams have correct handedness throughout their defensive lineup. And the vast majority in their top 4. 

So one could argue Pysyk would be ok on the 3rd pair left side, but that leaves our top 2 LHD, with no additions, as Gorges and McCabe. I don't believe that gives us a solid enough (playoff caliber) top 4. 

Edited by Thorny

Price doesn't matter - not to sound arrogant, but I'm used to NYC and CT pricing and with what I paid for the draft tickets .....  We went to Pearl Street Brewery when we were in town a couple of months ago and the wings were surprisingly good.  To preface that, wings tend to suck around here as they never cook them long enough.  We'll eat in the arena Friday night, but plan to eat around Pearl Street after Saturday's draft.  What I'd love Saturday is a place with a good beer battered fish fry. Again, fried fish in CT/NYC tends to be inadequate - I don't mind travelling for the fish fry either.

you'll be 10 minutes from the blackthorn, 2134 seneca street in south buffalo. the blackthorn has, imo, one of the best fish fries in the area. and i am all but 100% sure they serve it every night of the week. (a lot of places confine the 'fry to fridays.)

While I didn't get my requested tickets for Friday they did give me Saturday and I cant go Saturday. Can I ask what you ended up paying for your tix? I was saying I would sell my four to a Canuck for $500 and it seems that would have been quite a deal actually with what tickets are going for on StubHub.

It doesn't sound arrogant at all.  You're out on a trip to have a good time; spend what you're comfortable spending.  As for fish fries, I am no expert, so...

you'll be 10 minutes from the blackthorn, 2134 seneca street in south buffalo. the blackthorn has, imo, one of the best fish fries in the area. and i am all but 100% sure they serve it every night of the week. (a lot of places confine the 'fry to fridays.)

Another solid. Blackthorn was also on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive ins once too if not mistaken. Never had a bad meal at Creekview but have some service issues here or there over the years but nothing that would stop me form going back. Last year during Oktoberfest the Schnitzel was so good I was sad it was only on the menu during Oktoberfest. it was that good.

Williamsville hmm, Romeo and Juliet's on Sheridan. No wings but best pizza in town! Thin style not Buffalo style.

Another solid. Blackthorn was also on Guy Fieri's Diners, Drive ins once too if not mistaken. Never had a bad meal at Creekview but have some service issues here or there over the years but nothing that would stop me form going back. 

No sh1t? Good on them for the publicity.

As for Creekview, I may need to get my meds checked. Maybe I was just being irritable.

Blackthorn's sounds great - thanks.  $700 for 4, so I think you should be able to get more than $500 Pro Scout.  I was monitoring stub hub for a while and I bet if you put them for sale there for $700, they'd sell very quickly - average price is over $200 per and they are selling.  sh*t, I should have posted here first as I would have gladly paid $500 or more for yours, although mine are in the 100 sections and most of the stub hub inventory is in the 300 sections at $200+ per

Blackthorn's sounds great - thanks.  $700 for 4, so I think you should be able to get more than $500 Pro Scout.  I was monitoring stub hub for a while and I bet if you put them for sale there for $700, they'd sell very quickly - average price is over $200 per and they are selling.  sh*t, I should have posted here first as I would have gladly paid $500 or more for yours, although mine are in the 100 sections and most of the stub hub inventory is in the 300 sections at $200+ per

Thanks. I didn't get Friday tickets though and that would be the big draw. I don't have my day 2 tickets yet but they will be club or 100 level. Hope you your crew have a great time while you're here. And something happens on the floor right in front of you that leaves a permanent memory for you and your kids.

McKeen's final rankings: http://www.mckeenshockey.com/draft/

Certainly some...interesting stuff. Juolevi at 5, McLeod ahead of Dubois, Bean and McAvoy ahead of both Chychrun (13) and Sergachev (14).

Why do I run hot and cold on Tkachuck? Is he that good or more fortunate to have played with dominating line mates? Dvorak and Marner toyed with Canadian Juniors all year. 

GO SABRES!!!

Both on tkackuk. He definitely benefitted from playing on the Marner line (he had more 2ndary assists than any other junior player) but he is good. My worry about him is his lack of foot speed. I personally would not trade up for him, despite his genes.

HockeyProspect.com final rankings: http://www.hockeyprospect.com/2016-nhl-draft-rankings-hockeyprospect-com-final-top-30/

Of note: Juolevi top D at 6, Brown at 7, Keller and Jost above Nylander (12), McAvoy and Fabbro (wtf) above Chychrun (14). 

When was the last time draft rankings were this jumbled near the top? 

A lot of boards/mock have him tumbling.  Which is completely retarded considering he did well at the combine and seems to be a strong interview.  Preference is what it is, but really all it takes is one GM saying, yeah well the media is the media. 

Both on tkackuk. He definitely benefitted from playing on the Marner line (he had more 2ndary assists than any other junior player) but he is good. My worry about him is his lack of foot speed. I personally would not trade up for him, despite his genes.

I don't really think the secondary assist thing is much of a concern with Tkachuk. He actually finished in the top 10 in the OHL in primary points per game (goals and primary assists). And for draft eligible players in the OHL, he was second for primary points per game.

http://www.ohl.prospect-stats.com/ - good reference page there.

For comparison, Tkachuk had 1.158 primary points per game, and Nylander had 0.965 primary points per game.

Edited by Thorny

A lot of boards/mock have him tumbling. Which is completely retarded considering he did well at the combine and seems to be a strong interview. Preference is what it is, but really all it takes is one GM saying, yeah well the media is the media.

Are you Jakob's father? Because you seem to take it as a personal affront to your honor that some people have issues with his game and may prefer other players.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.