2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Aho will be an interesting guy in the third round tier.  All about taking a shot on Finnish players :D!

The Finnish Aho was drafted last year by Carolina, actually signed is entry level contract today

The Sebatian Aho not drafted yet is from Sweden.

On a side note, remember when anti tankers always went to the "Crosby one has one Cup"? Those were fun arguments.

Final 10 days or so till draft, still feeling the pick is either Nylander or Chychrun with possibility of trading into the 4 Spot to get Tkachuk.

Though if Columbus is seriously thinking of trading down, I hope Sabres are in on that big time. Would go as far as trading both Girgenson, Pysyk and #8 for #4 and Hartnell ( Columbus trying to dump salary)

The Finnish Aho was drafted last year by Carolina, actually signed is entry level contract today

The Sebatian Aho not drafted yet is from Sweden.

On a side note, remember when anti tankers always went to the "Crosby one has one Cup"? Those were fun arguments.

Final 10 days or so till draft, still feeling the pick is either Nylander or Chychrun with possibility of trading into the 4 Spot to get Tkachuk.

Though if Columbus is seriously thinking of trading down, I hope Sabres are in on that big time. Would go as far as trading both Girgenson, Pysyk and #8 for #4 and Hartnell ( Columbus trying to dump salary)

Crosby One actually had zero cups, but was the best-selling recording artist of the 20th century, and received the first ever Grammy Global Achievement Award. 

Crosby Two is the one with the two Stanley Cups, but no lifetime achievement award as of yet. 

I advocated the same argument, though not as a anti-tanking argument, but as a the-best-player-doesn't-win-cups-alone argument

Draft Analyst final rankings: http://www.thedraftanalyst.com/rankings/2016-final-500/

Chychrun at 4, Nylander 7, Keller 8. Jost at 13...sorry Liger! :P

At this stage no one can convince me to take Chychrun at #4.  Maybe at #8 but I like him less now than I did simply because I think at best he projects out to Bogosian as opposed to "insert #1 defender here".  IN converse to that I think Sergachev can be Karlsson light and I think Juolevi can be Lidstrom light. I think Jost will be a top 6 winger on a good team and I think Keller has the same shot although I have him a touch lower. Nylander at this stage lands behind them.  My top 10 subject to change as of this second in time...

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Puljujarvi
  4. Dubois
  5. Tkachuk
  6. Juolevi
  7. Jost
  8. Keller
  9. Nylander
  10. Brown
  11. Sergachev
  12. Chychrun

Nope 

At this stage no one can convince me to take Chychrun at #4.  Maybe at #8 but I like him less now than I did simply because I think at best he projects out to Bogosian as opposed to "insert #1 defender here".  IN converse to that I think Sergachev can be Karlsson light and I think Juolevi can be Lidstrom light. I think Jost will be a top 6 winger on a good team and I think Keller has the same shot although I have him a touch lower. Nylander at this stage lands behind them.  My top 10 subject to change as of this second in time...

1. Matthews
  2. Laine
  3. Puljujarvi
  4. Dubois
  5. Tkachuk
  6. Juolevi
  7. Jost
  8. Keller
  9. Nylander
  10. Brown
  11. Sergachev
  12. Chychrun

Nope, not taking Keller at #8, he's high risk and high reward. I need a clean cut player at #8 this year. Not to mention Keller wouldn't be a Sabre for at minimum 2 more years.

Nope 

Nope, not taking Keller at #8, he's high risk and high reward. I need a clean cut player at #8 this year. Not to mention Keller wouldn't be a Sabre for at minimum 2 more years.

That's not a draft order, that is my order for how I rank players. I straight ranked guys.

To the bolded, this shouldn't be a consideration when drafting. Just because Chycrhun is physically capable of playing the NHL doesn't mean he gets ranked ahead of guys who have more talent. Sam Reinhart needed another year to grow so I have no problem waiting 2 years.  I think we should draft Jost personally, if Juolevi is gone. 

That's not a draft order, that is my order for how I rank players. I straight ranked guys.

To the bolded, this shouldn't be a consideration when drafting. Just because Chycrhun is physically capable of playing the NHL doesn't mean he gets ranked ahead of guys who have more talent. Sam Reinhart needed another year to grow so I have no problem waiting 2 years.  I think we should draft Jost personally, if Juolevi is gone. 

I was meaning Keller at min is 2 years out, he's more 3 to 4 due to size

I was meaning Keller at min is 2 years out, he's more 3 to 4 due to size

2 years yes, but most 1st round picks are at least 2 years away. I don't think he will be 3-4 years due to his size. He will be 3-4 years if he can't adjust to a faster more physical game. Keller stays where he is because according to ppg models combined with his age and height/weight that is close to where he should be drafted. Jost beats him out because that same idea of PPG combined with height/weight and age favors him. The problem with this draft is how close all these guys are. Pick your poison, mine is favoring good skaters who can score over size at defense but it's all personal preference.

Again that is not a mock draft, it is a ranking. I take Jost over Keller. 

Keller stays where he is because according to ppg models combined with his age and height/weight that is close to where he should be drafted.

I just don't think the Sabres are going to draft this guy. After the Ennis issues, I think size will not be the #1 item but they won't take another small player that high. Speaking of Ennis has anyone heard how he is doing??? If he's on the comeback trail or not?? I would think their draft, trade possibilities and free agent plans are dependent on his status as well.

I just don't think the Sabres are going to draft this guy. After the Ennis issues, I think size will not be the #1 item but they won't take another small player that high. Speaking of Ennis has anyone heard how he is doing??? If he's on the comeback trail or not?? I would think their draft, trade possibilities and free agent plans are dependent on his status as well.

what are the Ennis issues?

Wasn't he having seizure issues after the concussion he incurred?? Never seen the ice afterward

I know he had a concussion issue but I don't think that is related to size. Just one of those unfortunate things that can happen to any player.

If Murray thinks Keller is the BPA when its the Sabres turn to draft then he takes him. 

I know he had a concussion issue but I don't think that is related to size. Just one of those unfortunate things that can happen to any player.

If Murray thinks Keller is the BPA when its the Sabres turn to draft then he takes him. 

I'll try and explain my thoughts, you have a GM that appears to like players in bigger packages. You have an asset that is 160 pounds who goes down with injuries that you were expecting to contribute on your top 2 lines. The last I heard the possibility exists that he doesn't come back from the concussion and/or he may or may not be the player he was. With that in mind,

you go into the draft where players 4-12 are pretty close in ability, do you draft a 155-160 pound guy or do you go after someone with at least a little more girth so to speak???

I don't think GMTM is going to draft Keller, no way no how IMHO. Heck I think he'll draft the Russian before he drafts Keller. :w00t:

And as a side note, I liked Ennis, I truly hope he comes back strong and has his health back and at the very least his long term prognosis is a good one.

But size of a player can factor in to Murray's idea of what BPA is.

Kris Baker counting down his rankings, has Sergachev highest of the D, at 6. Highest I've seen him, he must really like him.

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=885969&navid=DL|BUF|home

Is it at all a concern that Sergachev played most of this past season on the right side, when LHD is where we are most in need? He shoots left, so I'd say it's likely he can play the left side as well.

The only player the Sabres could take at #8 who could possibly play next year for the Sabres is Serg.  Other than him, they're all 2 years out, so Keller isn't any different than any of the others in that regard.  He's juts better than the others.

The only player the Sabres could take at #8 who could possibly play next year for the Sabres is Serg.  Other than him, they're all 2 years out, so Keller isn't any different than any of the others in that regard.  He's juts better than the others.

Actually no, Juolevi and Chychrun both have the ability to make a push for a roster spot as well in terms of Dmen. And for sure they'd be near ready by next season. Nylander, Dubois, Tychuck, and Pujarrjari all are in a similar category aside from the last being a likely NHLer.

It's highly unlikely anybody outside of the top three (maybe four with Tkachuk) plays next season. None of the dmen should be playing right away.

On that subject: where would you rank Provorov if he were in tbis year's draft?

I respectfully disagree. Risto,in his draft year, was a better prospect than any dman in this years draft and he went back to juniors and may have played a little in Rochester after that? Those 4 forwards will probably all be taken before #8, with the possible exception of Nylander. Nylander has

No chance of playing in the NHL this year as he gets pushed off the puck the OHL.

Friedman believes when #TBLightning tried to trade up to get#FlaPanthers' pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Vasilevskiy, Drouin & their 1st.

@NicholsOnHockey

Friedman believes when #Canucks tried to trade up to get#FlaPanthers' pick (2014/Ekblad), offer was Garrison, Shinkaruk & their 1st.

Friedman: "Florida has privately admitted that when Tampa Bay made that offer, they had to think about it." #FlaPanthers#TBLightning

That Lightning offer to Florida is a hell of a pitch for #1 overall. 

No doubt that was for Ekblad too. Imagine a blue line with Hedman, Starlman, and Ekblad. That's unfair. The Canucks one, I'm not so sure that was for Ekblad.

For reference, TB picked Anthony DeAngelo (D) at 19th overall, and the Canucks selected Jake Virtanen (F) at 6th overall

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.