2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

Grabbing Hartnell and moving up to #3 is a no-brainer. Hartnell scored almost 30 goals last year, his contracts is over in 3 tears and Puljujari is a Reinhart clone who skates better and is slightly bigger. Where do I sign?

I don't know about style of play, but one is much more established than the other

Just read a good analysis - Chyrchrun is this years Hanafin. He has had eyes on him so long that scouts eventually find holes in his game. 

He isn't perfect and didn't have a draft season like Ekblad did in 14/15 but I believe he has the most talent and the highest upside of anyone outside of the top 3.

He is officially my guy for the Sabres at #8 (or at least until tomorrow when I change my mind again!)

Grabbing Hartnell and moving up to #3 is a no-brainer.  Hartnell scored almost 30 goals last year, his contracts is over in 3 tears and Puljujari is a Reinhart clone who skates better and is slightly bigger.  Where do I sign?

I wanted to expand on this more. Reinhart is smarter than Pulujuarvi. That alone makes me care less about Puljujarvi's better skating and personally I think their size is a wash. You're talking 10lbs, maybe and 2 inches. Meh.  If Puljujarvi was 6 foot 185 and Reinhart was 5'10" 175 than sure I would be worried but that isn;t that case.  On top of that Reinhart is 2 years older than Puljujarvi meaning you are subtracting 2 years of development from your team. Further to that you are subtracting a player who grew up playing the NA game for one who has yet to do it. Further to that you are subtracting someone who put up 23goals as a rookie in the NHL for a player who has never played a minute in the NHL. Add that all up and you are right, it is a now brainer. You don't trade Sam Reinhart for old Scott Hartnell and completely un-established Jessie Puljujarvi. It just doesn't make any sense for a team trying to move on to the next level.  If Buffalo was still in the midst of tank land USA than sure you might be able to convince me but all this trade does is make it more unlikely for us to make the playoffs. 

You know the worst part about this, I would love to move up and get Puljujarvi. I love how he plays hockey. I am just not willing to sacrifice 2 years of dev and Reinhart to do it.

i dont think he was saying trade Reinhart. I believe the idea is to have a Puljujarvi, Eichel and Reinhart #1 line.

The question is to me - can you trade Girgensons, #8 and possibly a top prospect to take on contract of Hartnell (who would still have a bottom 6 role with them) and Puljujarvi?

Maybe you don't even need a top prospect in the deal? you are doing them a huge favour taking that contract off their hands.

Just read a good analysis - Chyrchrun is this years Hanafin. He has had eyes on him so long that scouts eventually find holes in his game. 

He isn't perfect and didn't have a draft season like Ekblad did in 14/15 but I believe he has the most talent and the highest upside of anyone outside of the top 3.

He is officially my guy for the Sabres at #8 (or at least until tomorrow when I change my mind again!)

The pro-Chychrun bunker welcomes another member.  

I wanted to expand on this more. Reinhart is smarter than Pulujuarvi. That alone makes me care less about Puljujarvi's better skating and personally I think their size is a wash. You're talking 10lbs, maybe and 2 inches. Meh.  If Puljujarvi was 6 foot 185 and Reinhart was 5'10" 175 than sure I would be worried but that isn;t that case.  On top of that Reinhart is 2 years older than Puljujarvi meaning you are subtracting 2 years of development from your team. Further to that you are subtracting a player who grew up playing the NA game for one who has yet to do it. Further to that you are subtracting someone who put up 23goals as a rookie in the NHL for a player who has never played a minute in the NHL. Add that all up and you are right, it is a now brainer. You don't trade Sam Reinhart for old Scott Hartnell and completely un-established Jessie Puljujarvi. It just doesn't make any sense for a team trying to move on to the next level.  If Buffalo was still in the midst of tank land USA than sure you might be able to convince me but all this trade does is make it more unlikely for us to make the playoffs. You know the worst part about this, I would love to move up and get Puljujarvi. I love how he plays hockey. I am just not willing to sacrifice 2 years of dev and Reinhart to do it.

I agree on Sam, but I don't think it was mentioned in this string of Hartnell/Puljujarvi comments that Sam would be the one on the block.

The pro-Chychrun bunker welcomes another member.  

I agree on Sam, but I don't think it was mentioned in this string of Hartnell/Puljujarvi comments that Sam would be the one on the block.

Sorry, I am a little grumpy today. You are correct. 

i dont think he was saying trade Reinhart. I believe the idea is to have a Puljujarvi, Eichel and Reinhart #1 line.

The question is to me - can you trade Girgensons, #8 and possibly a top prospect to take on contract of Hartnell (who would still have a bottom 6 role with them) and Puljujarvi?

Maybe you don't even need a top prospect in the deal? you are doing them a huge favour taking that contract off their hands.

I'd love to get Puljujarvi (might be the 2nd most complete player in the draft after Matthews), but I doubt those 3 guys would play on one line. It would be fun, but there isn't really a left winger among them.

I'm sure you could still turn out Puljujarvi - Eichel - Reinhart once in a while to fun effect, though. But more likely something like:

Kane - O'Reilly - Reinhart

Ennis - Eichel - Puljujarvi

Dynamite. Though I agree w/True that I would be hesitant to take on Hartnell.

Here is a real shot in the dark but I'm going to throw out a name to use on one of the Sabres multiple picks in the 3rd round 

Beck Malenstyn of the Calgary Hitmen.  Could eventually be a 4th line energy / character guy. Will do anything it takes to win and loves to hit.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=247477

McKeen's hockey has him at 86

Central scouting has him at 73 of NA skaters

should be drafted bottom of 3rd round or 4th round. 

Draft buzz "he's durable, hard charging, and works his tail off every shift" "has infinite potential and finite finish" "an NHL ready skater with power"  

basically has very little offensive ability but is an elite Defensive forward who will play each shirt like his hair is on fire.

I know he isn't an exciting pick but could be an important foot-soldier for them a few years down the road.

Edited by Crusader1969

I'd love to get Puljujarvi (might be the 2nd most complete player in the draft after Matthews), but I doubt those 3 guys would play on one line. It would be fun, but there isn't really a left winger among them.

I'm sure you could still turn out Puljujarvi - Eichel - Reinhart once in a while to fun effect, though. But more likely something like:

Kane - O'Reilly - Reinhart

Ennis - Eichel - Puljujarvi

Dynamite. Though I agree w/True that I would be hesitant to take on Hartnell.

you are right, had it in my head the Puljujarvi played LW

Arizona getting rights to Goligoski - could change my mock draft of Juolevi going to the Coyotoes, if they sign him.

Edited by Crusader1969

I would never ever trade Sam, not sure where you got that from?? Just sad Puj the Fin will turn out to be a great one like Sam, possibly better eventually. CLB wants a center - wants that 6'6" guy badly, but doesn't want to reach for him at #3. The #3 can be had for less than Sam, with Hartnell in tow too maybe? Trade up for #3,sign Vesey, trade for Fowler (girgs being the main piece going back), sign Yandle, re-sign Johnson to backup lehner and call it an awesome off season. This can all be done too well under the cap. We would end up losing a very good player to the expansion draft next year but so be it.

Rumors keep coming, take it for what you will or won't

@NHLRumorsDaily 3m3 minutes ago
Buffalo would send #8+Foligno+a mid round pick to CBJ for #3. CBJ would be happy to drop to #8 and take Logan Brown. Nothing is done yet!!!

@NHLRumorsDaily 10m10 minutes ago
Buffalo is absolutely enamored with Puljujarvi and will do what they can to trade up for him

Rumors keep coming, take it for what you will or won't

@NHLRumorsDaily 3m3 minutes ago

Buffalo would send #8+Foligno+a mid round pick to CBJ for #3. CBJ would be happy to drop to #8 and take Logan Brown. Nothing is done yet!!!

@NHLRumorsDaily 10m10 minutes ago

Buffalo is absolutely enamored with Puljujarvi and will do what they can to trade up for him

Ummmmm yes please.  No way all it takes is Foligno 8 and a midround pick. 

Ummmmm yes please.  No way all it takes is Foligno 8 and a midround pick. 

That depends.  If Columbus ranks Puljujarvi and Brown at say a 9 and 8.5 talent level respectively, they might not see trading back to #8 as that big of a deal. While I think it would take more, crazier things have happened. We traded two Russians, a good college player and a pick for Ryan O'Reilly. 

That depends.  If Columbus ranks Puljujarvi and Brown at say a 9 and 8.5 talent level respectively, they might not see trading back to #8 as that big of a deal. While I think it would take more, crazier things have happened. We traded two Russians, a good college player and a pick for Ryan O'Reilly. 

True but I also can't believe their is another GM out there equivalent to Colorado's management.

Does the mid round pick mean a 3rd?  Heck, I would easily do 8, our 2nd round pick and Foligno. 

Edited by Derrico

I could see #8, #69, Foligno and *insert prospect not named Bailey or Fasching here*

Really?  Maybe our view on Puljujarvi are way off.  This guy is NHL ready and a hell of a 2-way player.  He won the WJC MVP.  Guy is gonna be an unreal player and certainly a cut about the 4-10 guys.

The CBJ chatter doesn't make sense, based on what I'd heard all along: I.e., that players 1-3 are in one cohort (of elite talents(?)), while 4-14 are more of a jumble. Would CBJ really forego an elite prospect and drop back into the jumble for nothing more than an energy line guy and a pick that has only a marginal chance of netting a return? Again: That just makes no sense.

The CBJ chatter doesn't make sense, based on what I'd heard all along: I.e., that players 1-3 are in one cohort (of elite talents(?)), while 4-14 are more of a jumble. Would CBJ really forego an elite prospect and drop back into the jumble for nothing more than an energy line guy and a pick that has only a marginal chance of netting a return? Again: That just makes no sense.

It's not gonna happen for that price. 

There are so many rumors flying around. Apparently. we are trading for pick 3, trading for pick 4, acquiring Eberle, and signing Vesey. It all sounds too good to be true, because it is too good to be true, I would think. Maybe one of these things will happen.

I'm excited for June 24 so that we have some clarity. 

It makes sense if and only if Columbus wants Logan Brown and thinks he will be their #1 C down the line and that they can trade to #8 and take him. 

Really?  Maybe our view on Puljujarvi are way off.  This guy is NHL ready and a hell of a 2-way player.  He won the WJC MVP.  Guy is gonna be an unreal player and certainly a cut about the 4-10 guys.

This doesn't necessarily mean anything. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.