2016 NHL Draft

Crusader1969

It's easy to filter out the twitter noise. Don't follow bs accounts and unless it is Bob MacKenzie wait for a 2nd source.

Just look at the amount of followers the tweeter has. Usually a pretty good indicator

If you are following Bob "MacKenzie", it's not gonna help :p

:lol:

If you are following Bob "MacKenzie", it's not gonna help :P

lol

what amuses me is how every year there are these people, professional ppl, who are like "LOOK AT WHAT BOB McKENZIE just said!!!!!!" and then it isn't even the actual guy. Like how the hell don't they know which guy is the real one, his twitter is verified and you just need to follow it.

It's easy to filter out the twitter noise. Don't follow bs accounts and unless it is Bob MacKenzie wait for a 2nd source.

I have no problems on my own Twitter. It's the reposting of BS Twitter here that gets me. It's not hard to figure out what is BS and just say "yeah, this isn't worth copy pasting".

I probably sound like a broken record but maybe if you add the Hartnell contract then maybe it makes sense? Otherwise I can't imagine Foligno along with pick 8 and 3rd rounder being enough

Creative. I had not thought of taking back a bad/undesirable contract in this context.

I have no problems on my own Twitter. It's the reposting of BS Twitter here that gets me. It's not hard to figure out what is BS and just say "yeah, this isn't worth copy pasting".

I agree with this, but I don't think this is Twitter's fault...

I've gone through combine testing results from 2012 through 2015 to see if there is any correlation to how the Sabres draft.

Over the last 4 years the Sabres have had 12 2nd and 3rd round draft picks. The only 3 guys they've drafted in this 4 year time frame that didn't show up on any top 10 finishes are JT Compher, Vaclav Karabacek and Justin Kea.

The other 9 guys drafted in this time frame show up at least once and many of them have multiple top 10 finishes. Its also interesting to note that in 2013 both Fasching and William Carrier (prospects traded for) both had multiple top 10 finishes.

looking back at 2013 you can see the Sabres relying heavily on combine results as both Bailey and  Bapiste had 3 top 10 finishes, while Hurley had  2 (you will even see Zadorov and Risto's names as you scan through the results). In 2015 Brendan Guhle dominated the combine with 7 top 10 finishes. In 2014, both Brendan Lemieux and Eric Cornel do very well at the combine with multiple top 10 finishes.

Going through the recently completed 2016 results I've pulled a few names who tested well and could be potential guys that the Sabres will value.

with the 38th pick here are a couple of names to watch for:

1) Jordan Kyrou - 3 top 10 finishes at the combine and a top performer at the CHL prospects games on-ice testing. He could be gone before the Sabres draft at 38 as most have him projected as a late 1st or early 2nd round pick. great skill, great skater and could be a steal if he drops to Sabres

2) Wade Allison - 4 top 10 finishes. Had a huge 2nd half of the season with Tri-city in the USHL. He is a power forward  who strong on his skates scoring 25 goals in 56GP . Should be a 2nd round pick but there are some draft outlets that have him going early in 3rd round.

3) Tyler Benson - 2 top 10 finishes. Was thought to be a lock for the 1st round but injuries derailed his season. Could drop into the mid second round where the Sabres could grab the highly touted LW. who was originally 14th overall on Bob Mckenzies preseason draft board.

4) Boris Katchouk -  2 top 10 finishes at combine. First thing of note is that he is a Canadian kid!He plays with a fierce passion to win at all costs. had 3 fights this season including a battle against a 6`7 Knights Dman (Boris is 6`1). has good wheels, fearless and showed offensive ability scoring 24G for SSM. The kid is an energy player who has top 6 potential.

In the 3rd Round here are some names to keep in mind:

1) Jonathan Ang - Peterborough OHL - 7 top 10 finishes

2) Trent Frederic - USDP - 4 finishes in top 10

3) Artur Kayumov - Team Russia u18 - 3 top 10

4) Givani Smith - Guelph OHL - 3 times in top 10

Top 10 2 times:

5)Henrik Borgstrom - Finland

6) Nichols Caamano OHL

7) Dillon Dube - WHL

8) Matt Filipe -  USHL

9) Samuel Girard -  Q

10) Noah Gregor - WHL

11)Taylor Raddysh - Erie OHL

Edited by Crusader1969

Tim Murray was only part of the 2014 and 2015 draft.

True, but Kevin Devine and many of the scouts have been with the Sabres for ages. However, if you want to go back just over the last 2 drafts - 6 second and third rounders - only Karabaceck doesn't show up on the list of top combine results -that's actually a higher percentage than the 9 out of 12 from 2012 till present. (83% compared to 75%)

Edited by Crusader1969

True, but Kevin Devine and many of the scouts have been with the Sabres for ages.

The draft strategy has definitely changed since Tim Murray came in. He considers himself the head scout. He is a rink rat. He is the one making the decisions.

I dont  agree that the draft strategy has changed from 2013 to when Murray came in for 2014 and 2015.  I'm not saying that Murray isn't the final decision maker but over the last few drafts they've been looking for athletes. My guess is that Bailey and Baptiste are exactly Murray type prospects.

I don't think its a coincidence that McCabe was drafted in 2012 after testing strongly though he definitely wasn't as raw as Baptiste and Bailey.

Combine that with the Yotes getting Goligoski's rights and you have to like our odds of getting our guy at eight Edited by WildCard

Dubois is a natural center from what I understand so unless they play to convert him or Draisaitl to wing this seems odd. Might get Vancouver to trade up with them though. Vancouver supposedly is taking Dubois. 

Dubois is a natural center from what I understand so unless they play to convert him or Draisaitl to wing this seems odd. Might get Vancouver to trade up with them though. Vancouver supposedly is taking Dubois. 

I see him as a Pavelski type, where he can play center and right wing.  There is a lot to like.  If he fell to 8, which seems unlikely, that'd be a great selection as well.  

I bet my uncle that Tkachuk is taken in the top 5 picks because he couldn't stop talking about how he thinks Tkachuk sucks......

Now watch Edmonton take a D and Vancouver go Dubois at 5.......

Then he'll go #6 to Calgary, and they will laugh on their way to the podium.  Or he goes to his daddies Coyotes to join Dvorak and Domi!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.