Professional Womens Hockey (Coming to Buffalo)

That Aud Smell

The NWHL announced yesterday that the league's first All-Star Weekend will be held in Buffalo on January 23rd-24th.  Tickets go on sale on black Friday.

http://www.si.com/nhl/2015/11/19/nwhl-inaugural-all-star-weeked-january-buffalo

Interesting:

The format of the NWHL All-Star game will include two 20 minute periods of four-on-four. The winning team will receive 20% of the ticket sales profits, to be split equally among its members.

wait a sec.  the NWHL has an all-star game?    SO basically half of each team makes the all-star team?      

• 2 weeks later...

That's a solid left hand there.

She's a big girl too. 5'9" 180#. I wouldn't mess with her.

When are we going to admit it?

The Beauts suck.  

Is there a McEichel in the draft next year?

Tank for Tanya? Lose for Liz?

Edited by JJFIVEOH

• 11 months later...

Dani Rylan the Commissioner of the NWHL announced today that the league would be cutting salaries by 50% because of lower ticket revenue and merchandise sales.

Apparently the NWHLPA was not consulted about this and is reportedly deciding on a course of action.

This does not bode well for the future of the league

Dani Rylan the Commissioner of the NWHL announced today that the league would be cutting salaries by 50% because of lower ticket revenue and merchandise sales.

Apparently the NWHLPA was not consulted about this and is reportedly deciding on a course of action.

This does not bode well for the future of the league

It's too bad really. I was hoping to be able to go to games once Josie and I live in Buffalo. Cheap entertainment. 

David Pagnotta of the Fourth Period reported that if The NWHL and CWHL would be willing to merge, that The NHL might be interested in becoming a financial partner in that league

I think that would be a great move. A bunch of players jumped ship to go back to the CWHL after last season.

• 4 months later...

Super cool for them to win it this year. Lots of big things coming along in the women's hockey world.

Harrison Browne the first openly transgender person to win a pro title. Neat.

RIT alum Kortney Kunichika gets a pro title too. I think she's the first Tiger to do something like that.

Hoping to go to a lot of these games next year once we actually live in town.

I can honestly say that I had completely forgotten that there was a pro women's ice hockey league until just now.

That not s ringing endorsement of their marketing squad.

Says the guy who routinely brags about how he doesn't use social media  :nana:

Flagg's not wrong.  The NWHL and the Beauts are pretty heavy on Twitter.

So the Beauts were 6-10-1 and didn't win consecutive games the entire season, and somehow won both playoff games, including getting revenge against the defending champions?  That's rather implausible, and a pretty good underdog story.

It unfortunately also underscores the complete meaninglessness of the regular season.  Boston was 16-1, but lost a single-elimination tournament game in which every team in the league participates.

But I'm still happy for our gals.

What's A Twitter?

How about a commercial or two on WGR? I listen to that almost every day.

They can't afford it.

The NWHL needs to be merged with other pro women's league. No reason for there to be two right now.

There aren't.  There's one pro women's league (NWHL) and a league which doesn't pay its players (CWHL), which isn't professional.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.