GDT Coyotes at Sabres 3-26-2015 7PM MSG, WGR

Brawndo

We were *actually* the laughing stocks of the nhl after the lucic incident. We are largely irrelevant right now. I don't know how you can be more embarrassed right now (a terrible bad team with only a few weeks left) compared ot watching our goalie get destroyed and no one answer. It was pathetic.

Difference is that when Miller got run, his teammates punked out on him making the team look . The fans couldn't help that situation. But the fans could control the blatant cheering against their home team. That makes the city and fanbase look . Hard to compare the two. Fans have no control what happens on the ice, but they can control what happens in the stands. Both events were a joke....one that made the team look bad and one that made the city and fanbase look bad.

Edited by Claude Balls

Absolutely.

We are Sabres fans (or whatever fans) for life, essentially. These guys are Sabres until the next big contract comes along or their career fizzles. There is so much overhead attached to this tank, and these games do not occur in a vacuum. Be a big boy, Weber, and suck it up. If I feel like pretending everything is rainbows and unicorns with sports, I have my son's soccer league for that.

So wait, the players can go eat it, but also we really want the best players?

That's about as disingenuous as it gets.

Difference is that when Miller got run, his teammates punked out on him making the team look ######. The fans couldn't help that situation. But the fans could control the blatant cheering against their home team. That makes the city and fanbase look ######. Hard to compare the two.

EXACTLY what I was going to post.

Difference is that when Miller got run, his teammates punked out on him making the team look ######. The fans couldn't help that situation. But the fans could control the blatant cheering against their home team. That makes the city and fanbase look ######. Hard to compare the two.

The fans are too busy punking out right now. The Sabres are Ryan Miller laying there on the ice and the fans are Goose saying "eh maybe later."

So wait, the players can go eat it, but also we really want the best players?

That's about as disingenuous as it gets.

No, the players have to suck it up, is what I wrote.  Plainly.  In English, even.  Right there in the post you quoted, in fact. 

The players aren't the only people emotionally vested in this scenario.  The players, actually, are getting paid to be emotionally vested in this scenario.  And most players, when offered more pay, will become, instantly, emotionally vested in another team.  We fans, however, remain emotionally vested, and, we pay to be so.

So, yes, the players can grow up a little, recognize the fans, especially the fans from way, way back, have a lot more invested into this scenario than the players do.  They can recognize this is a business, and they are free to not be here if they can't intellectually, morally, or emotionally handle the situation.  You have the same options when you're asked to suck it up at your job.

NOTHING comes close to the embarrassment I felt as a fan than that travesty against the Bruins. I was for blowing it all up from that moment on. That team was an utter disgrace to the game, the city, and themselves. And they knew it. 

Hey Weber, phuck you! Try sucking less for an entire season. 

GO SABRES!!!

There's a difference between being ashamed of the team (which represents the city) and being ashamed of the fans (i.e., the city itself).  The Lucic hit was bad but as others have noted those demons can be exorcised by retaliation and ultimately moving the players involved off the team.  The fans who were there tonight were there because they are among the most rabid, dedicated fans.  They were there because they won't ever go away.  They are the city.

So while you can debate which is worse, consider which is a permanent part of the city.

That said, I think Assquatch makes a brilliant point.  Hey Sabres, this is just business.  Don't take it personally.

One thing to remember:  Next year the Sabres will better, and even better the year after that.

But some of the new core is already on the team.  They've seen how bad it can get, team-wise, fan-wise, everything-wise.  So next year, look at this year's whipping boys - Grigo and CoHo perhaps, and see if they don't play with a certain urgency and fire, and become leaders on this team (along with the rest of the carryovers from this season).  So when Baptiste is slacking, when Reinhart coasts, let's see if even the worst of the young guys on this year's team tell them - "Cut it out and shape up.  You think this is bad?  You don't know bad.  I do, and trust me, you don't ever want to see that.  So move your ass!"

Edited by Neuvichs Perchatka

This is exactly why I posted what I did at the start of the day that a lot of you jumped all over me for. Pro or anti Tank this is a horrible day in our franchise history. For our franchise and a good portion of the fans in the arena to reach this level has me embarrassed to be a fan.

Regardless if what comes of this "rebuild" this is the low point.

Exactly. This hurts on levels I can't quantify. Low point, indeed.

I cracked this open earlier without looking at it. A friend left it here last weekend and I hadn't taken a close look until now.

That beer (Tank 7) is absolutely fantastic. Not even remotely kidding here – get some immediately.

I’ve been avoiding the tank vs. non-tank discussions here for the most part. I just don’t understand why these conversations have gotten so silly, and here’s why. It doesn’t matter who wants us to win every game and who wants us to finish last. The players will always try to win. The coaches will always try to win. These are professionals. It can’t be any other way for them as professionals, and anything otherwise would constitute them throwing games and thereby making them not only frauds, but felons.

From a GMTM perspective, what’s he supposed to do? There is no shame in getting assets for players we know are not going to stay. Again, we’re talking about professionalism. There is no deliberate subterfuge here. He wants to succeed and watching UFA’s walk for no compensation is not a good way for him to stay employed.

We are just fans. Whatever will be, will be, in spite of what we want or think. Let’s all breathe deeply my friends!

Absolutely.

We are Sabres fans (or whatever fans) for life, essentially.  These guys are Sabres until the next big contract comes along or their career fizzles.  There is so much overhead attached to this tank, and these games do not occur in a vacuum.  Be a big boy, Weber, and suck it up.  If I feel like pretending everything is rainbows and unicorns with sports, I have my son's soccer league for that.

Yes, I agree with you guys.  If the players didn't want to be in this position they shouldn't have lost like 20 games in a row this season.  Do they feel sorry for fans that paid $100 for seats to watch that crap?  Regier tanked the team unintentionally over time and Murray is just finishing the job so we can come back from the dead.  If the players don't like fans hoping for McEichel they are welcome to go ahead and real off 8 final wins in a row!  At the same time I wouldn't cheer against them because it serves no purpose and is bad form just like booing serves no real purpose.  But I wouldn't be cheering if they scored in a meaningless game either.  

I saw that - you were never on it.

The Sabres didn't like the fans reactions? Guess what fellas. You know how every time one of you jumps from one team to the next because your new team could pay a little more and you claim "it's not personal, it's just the business side of hockey"? This is the fan version of that. Deal with it.

Love it!

Edited by smj

I saw that - you were never on it.

The Sabres didn't like the fans reactions? Guess what fellas. You know how every time one of you jumps from one team to the next because your new team could pay a little more and you claim "it's not personal, it's just the business side of hockey"? This is the fan version of that. Deal with it.

Woah someone borrowed your quote here and put it on a picture on the Sabres' Facebook page, had a total déjà vu moment

That beer (Tank 7) is absolutely fantastic. Not even remotely kidding here – get some immediately.

I’ve been avoiding the tank vs. non-tank discussions here for the most part. I just don’t understand why these conversations have gotten so silly, and here’s why. It doesn’t matter who wants us to win every game and who wants us to finish last. The players will always try to win. The coaches will always try to win. These are professionals. It can’t be any other way for them as professionals, and anything otherwise would constitute them throwing games and thereby making them not only frauds, but felons.

From a GMTM perspective, what’s he supposed to do? There is no shame in getting assets for players we know are not going to stay. Again, we’re talking about professionalism. There is no deliberate subterfuge here. He wants to succeed and watching UFA’s walk for no compensation is not a good way for him to stay employed.

We are just fans. Whatever will be, will be, in spite of what we want or think. Let’s all breathe deeply my friends!

I completely agree with this.

Personally, I believe that the best course of action right now, the one that would be most beneficial, is to finish off the "tank" after having come so far down the path already. Other fans may think otherwise, and that's ok too. Point being, our own personal views on what should be done don't affect the outcome. Even the word "tank" is just a reflection of the semantics of the discussion. Is GMTM purposely trying to field a team that will lose? If so, to what degree? In his mind, is he just rebuilding? The definitions of tank and rebuild, and interpretations of both are in shades of grey. 

This isn't a democratic process by which all the fans are choosing the game-plan and the morality of it. It's one guy, GMTM, choosing a plan of action and implementing it. It's fun to debate the merits of the plan and express our views on how it should be done, but at the end of the day, we all want the same thing, for the Sabres to succeed. 

We don't share in the operation or active opposition of Murray's plan. We are all just spectators, so I don't think certain fans need to be looked down upon no matter whether they agree with Murray's plan or are against it. 

I find it hilariously precious of Mike Weber, the player whose stupid penalty decided this game, to go to the media and say that the problem is the fans aren't good enough. The Buffalo News can clutch their pearls and faint all they want, and evidently they have a few fifth columnists (see what I did there?) in the room, but the organization took this direction and is seeing it out. 2/3 of this roster will be nowhere near the Sabres in three years. Teams have been blown up and rebuilt before ... Admittedly to varying degrees of success. Those chastising the Sabres for doing what others have done repeatedly are only vilifying them because of the possible rewards. We're we not talking about a generational talent / talents in the draft then the annual stripping of franchises to the studs we see would pass unnoticed.

The idea is to win the cup. Hell, multiple cups. Wasn't going to happen this year regardless, but this year's awful will fertilize future greatness (hopefully). Mike Weber will be long gone by then. He'd do well to keep that in mind.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.