Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

That might work.  My concern is, someone needs to watch this kid's back for the first season while he adjusts to how damned fast an NHL defenseman can light you up when you are coming across the middle.  I wish Foligno were a bit better with the gloves off.

In my opinion you don't need a winger for this--I'd prefer to add a skilled wing to our top-6 and let a defenseman handle the protection. Of course, I'm also not nearly as sold on the deterrent effect as some are--cheap shot artists gonn' cheap shot. 

Looking back on Crosby's rookie year, he had Ryan Malone on his wing, a really tough guy in his prime, and John Leclair was there too, another pretty tough guy.

I realize it was a different era (wow, think about that), but Crosby was well protected.  Eric Cairns, Lyle Odelien, VanDenBussche, Tarnstrom.  All that muscle wasn't around long, but it was there to see him through his first season.  I think it is prudent to make sure our franchise player is well protected his rookie season.

In my opinion you don't need a winger for this--I'd prefer to add a skilled wing to our top-6 and let a defenseman handle the protection. Of course, I'm also not nearly as sold on the deterrent effect as some are--cheap shot artists gonn' cheap shot. 

You misread.  I don't want a policeman on his line.  But I do want a guy who is respected and willing to keep the dogs at bay.

I probably wouldn't pursue any major free agents this summer.  You have some young guys who are ready to step in next year, and others who should be getting better.

Without a big splash in free agency, will the team be a top 10 or even 15 team?  Probably not. But, I'd rather let the current team grow together with the additions you are likely to have coming (Reinhart, Kane, Pysyk, MAYBE Grigorenko) and some other young guys being a 'year better' (Zadarov, Risto, Girgensons).  Let the team get better and grow, I'm looking at this coming year to be an exciting year, but not a great year. I think the following year is where I'll start to have expectations.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart come back on a decent contract (play top 2 line winger the next year or two, then maybe slot into a 3rd line spot after that), but don't forget you have a LOT of prospects coming to Rochester next year that you hope some will turn out to be good players in 2-3 years.  I also kinda liked Neuvirth, I would favor bringing him back as your #1 guy for the next couple years over just about anyone else available...but that is really it.

You sign that big Free agent to the 6 year deal and eventually he'll be taking up a spot for the next young guy to come up into.

Edited by mjd1001

Looking back on Crosby's rookie year, he had Ryan Malone on his wing, a really tough guy in his prime, and John Leclair was there too, another pretty tough guy.

I realize it was a different era (wow, think about that), but Crosby was well protected.  Eric Cairns, Lyle Odelien, VanDenBussche, Tarnstrom.  All that muscle wasn't around long, but it was there to see him through his first season.  I think it is prudent to make sure our franchise player is well protected his rookie season.

You misread.  I don't want a policeman on his line.  But I do want a guy who is respected and willing to keep the dogs at bay.

In your last quote Shanahan in his prime came to mind for me. Not many would mess with him and he could skate and score with the best of them. Find me someone that fits that profile. I'm with you. Don't want no policeman on that line.

I probably wouldn't pursue any major free agents this summer.  You have some young guys who are ready to step in next year, and others who should be getting better.

Without a big splash in free agency, will the team be a top 10 or even 15 team?  Probably not. But, I'd rather let the current team grow together with the additions you are likely to have coming (Reinhart, Kane, Pysyk, MAYBE Grigorenko) and some other young guys being a 'year better' (Zadarov, Risto, Girgensons).  Let the team get better and grow, I'm looking at this coming year to be an exciting year, but not a great year. I think the following year is where I'll start to have expectations.

I wouldn't mind seeing Stewart come back on a decent contract (play top 2 line winger the next year or two, then maybe slot into a 3rd line spot after that), but don't forget you have a LOT of prospects coming to Rochester next year that you hope some will turn out to be good players in 2-3 years.  I also kinda liked Neuvirth, I would favor bringing him back as your #1 guy for the next couple years over just about anyone else available...but that is really it.

You sign that big Free agent to the 6 year deal and eventually he'll be taking up a spot for the next young guy to come up into.

Even with all those guys coming up there are still holes. With $30 million in cap space they're going to have to spend some of it.

In your last quote Shanahan in his prime came to mind for me. Not many would mess with him and he could skate and score with the best of them. Find me someone that fits that profile. I'm with you. Don't want no policeman on that line.

Shanny's are hard to come by.  The next or current Ryan Malone would be fantastic.  Hell, I'd settle for a Wayne Simmonds.

Shanny's are hard to come by.  The next or current Ryan Malone would be fantastic.  Hell, I'd settle for a Wayne Simmonds.

Settle? I'd be thrilled if we somehow landed Simmonds. 20+ goals consistently, very aggressive/chippy, and he fights like hell. He's a dream player

Edited by WildComrade

So... Evander Kane still doesn't exist in your world?

So... you didn't read the whole thread?  I responded to Kane earlier.  He doesn't strike me as a shielding-his-teammates sort of presence.  If I'm wrong, I'll be happy about it.

You misread. I don't want a policeman on his line. But I do want a guy who is respected and willing to keep the dogs at bay.

I know what you meant, I just don't think Stewart is the droid you're looking for. I think the deficiencies in his game outweigh any potential protection he will offer. If it came down to Stewart versus someone who is good at hockey but not very physically imposing, I'd take the person who is good at hockey.

I know what you meant, I just don't think Stewart is the droid you're looking for. I think the deficiencies in his game outweigh any potential protection he will offer. If it came down to Stewart versus someone who is good at hockey but not very physically imposing, I'd take the person who is good at hockey.

Stewart or Jason Pominville... and go!

So... you didn't read the whole thread?  I responded to Kane earlier.  He doesn't strike me as a shielding-his-teammates sort of presence.  If I'm wrong, I'll be happy about it.

I thought the same thing about Kane after the trade when people were touting him as the defender of the franchise.  But I think he'll be smart enough to protect the best center he's ever played with in his career (I hope).

Not for a line with Reinhart or player X but what about Lee Stempniak on the 3/4th line?

Also these young kids will have plenty of protection and should know by now they must protect themselves. 

Edited by Ligerovich 4GM

I wouldn't be surprised if Foligno gets a shot next year on either Reinhart or McEichel's flank in this role.

Edited by Djuda Chekhov

He had plenty of time before Pittsburgh to be a difference maker.

I'm always hearing, he only looks average in Buffalo because of the team around him, he's our best defenseman.  I won't argue he was our best or in the top pairing.

But....

He goes to a team where he should look good, be that over the edge back end difference maker that the Pens needed, and he isn't it in my opinion. Just makes GMTM look better to me for buying him out.

So, yes, your right, and I'm beating that poor dead horse.

Not to be a hater but Antti Niemi is not the answer. Hes too slow and just doesn't fit that well. Id so rather just bring back Neuvirth. Younger, and cheaper

Pominville is a UFA? Thats very interesting.

Pominville is not a UFA. He's signed for a couple more seasons.

Let's find out.

I agree.

I would love to see him come back, but I really don't think it will happen.

Not too mention that I am not sure the Sabres will be ready for him next season.  Maybe the one after next they will be more ready.

On the other hand ... I assume that Mess / Balls will not be back, so the Hoff sure would come in handy / dandy.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.