Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

The Sabres will obviously be looking to fill RW with free agency. They are pretty bare in the cupboard, and alot of their prospects at that position are too young to bring up.

I think a name that sticks out is RW Michael Frolik. 19 goals, 23 assists and 42 points in 82 games. At 27 he still has a good 2-3 years left in his prime, which paired with a scoring line should bump up his numbers.

Another player I could see them bringing back at RW is Chris Stewart. After coming on strong he ended up with 14/22/36 in 81 games. What I like most about him is his toughness and ability to protect our star players. He's a guy that can get you 15-20 goals on a line with Eichel or McDavid who will boost his stats and protect our superstar in case someone starts crap with them. You need that kind of player on your team.

It's no secret that Murray loves Ryan OReilly. Although they are pretty stacked at LW, OReilly is better than half of them. He is young, can score, has a solid two way game, and is said to be a phenomenal team player. You give up a guy like Grigorenko who Patrick Roy used to coach and loves, along with another LW and maybe a pick, and OReilly could be had.

Finally, I don't see anyone on the farm system coming in and stepping up at goalie. Lindmark did a great job, which I beileve was more about Irbe than anything (since the Sabres kept putting no names in net that would play lights out games at a time). Whoever Murray hires as HC in will want assurances that he will be given the tools to succeed, and there is no reason not too this season. The tank is over.

(Correction: I see a player like Cam Talbot more of a fit. After a great season in NY he won't see a starting job for a while. He'll be looking for his own gig. Better stats than Niemi and younger. With a great goalie coach like Irbe he will only get better)

Sabres have plenty of cap space to bring all of these guys in (and might need to just to reach the floor)

Adding those guys to the mix, your looking at:

FORWARDS

Kane - Ennis - Frolik/Hodgson

Moulson - Reinhart - Hodgson/Gionta

OReilly - McDavid/Eichel - Gionta/Stewart

Deslauriers- Girgenson - Kaleta

RESERVES: Foligno - Larsson

DEFENSE

Ristolainien -Gorges

Zadorov - Bogosian

Pysyk - Weber

RESERVE: McCabe

GOALIE

Cam Talbot, Lindback

Thats a playoff team with talent

Ennis imo needs to be on wing imo bump Girgenson up to the first line to start till Reinhart or McEichel prove themselves ready. Drop frolik down one and dump Hogson, maybe even put Larson up at 1st line to start season. Bet OReilly isnt here next year... Just dont think he fits the system and too expensive for his actual worth. Also Batiste is gonna push guys like Kaleta and Gionta. stewart resigns in Minni. Edited by North Buffalo

Chicago, LA and Boston weren't champions because they had old left over vets playing with their roster.. They won because they built big strong young teams that were mean and knocked off small (Gionta, St Louis type) players when the post season hit. We need players like Stewart so kids like Kane, Reinhart, Ennis and McEichel can do their thing... We already have Moulson and Gionta (Moulson has lost a step)/as vets. I am optimistic with our future starting with next year. Did you guys not wanna keep Lindbach around and give him another shot? He handles the puck well and can help start the play. Kane McEichel Stewart/Reinhart, Ennis Girgs Moulson, Foligno Grigs Gionta, Deslauriers Larsson FA, Bogo FA, Risto Zad, Georges Psyk

Edited by Number73

We don't need Stewart. I agree that we need guys who are rough around the edges, but I'd prefer somebody that advanced statistics don't say his team is worse with him on the ice.

Guys like Girgensons, Kane, Larsson, Foligno, Bogosian, Zadorov, Risto, O'Reilly, etc. Chances are one or two of those guys aren't here (not including O'Reilly who probably won't be). But Murray is doing a good job weeding out the weak and adding the strong. That should continue.

I'd say give Lindback a shot, but sign someone else as well.

Who knows about Chad Johnson. He was decent as a backup in Boston, and horrible for the Isles this year. I guess play him in camp, and then send either Lindback or Johnson down, or trade him for pucks if anyone wants him. I'm not sure I even want him taking a spot in Rochester.

Then again, he might surprise in camp and pre-season and win the starting job. Who knows?

Always surprises me that alot of people just cast away Hodgson and grigorenko in their predictions.

I can understand you not putting them in your line up, but atleast show some sort of return you get out of them.

Because now you are saying , em, we waived them and got nothing in return.

Always surprises me that alot of people just cast away Hodgson and grigorenko in their predictions.

I can understand you not putting them in your line up, but atleast show some sort of return you get out of them.

Because now you are saying , ###### em, we waived them and got nothing in return.

Ok get something for cody if you can... I think Grig sticks, he showed me something toward the end here and i think he just mite be a late bloomer.

With McEichel in the fold, I think one or both of Larsson or Grigorenko getmoved in a deal for a big burly winger who can put up 15-20 geno's.... like a Scott Stevens (Mario) or Craig Simpson (Gretzky).    Maybe that guy is Foligno, who knows, but With McEichel, Reinhart and Girgensons down the middle, there's extra pieces to flip for help at wing.... or a veteran quarterback for the PP, to tutor the young guys.      

it's based on the talent you have.  There are productive third lines in the NHL, Buffalo just hasn't seen one in a while.  I don't see McDavid or Eichel starting top six.  That's too much pressure.  Name a LW on that roster who Foligno should be a starter over?  I can't.

He might be part of a trade, who knows.

Girgensons is a top 6 forward on almost any team in the league, with the exception of maybe 5 teams or so. McEichel, like MacKinnon and Crosby, will start in the top six. They are simply that good; just because Reinhart is older doesn't mean he will start on a higher line, McEichel is certainly the better player right now, and in all likelihood will end up being the better player as they progress.

Foligno made good strides this season, and is a better player than Deslauriers, so is Larsson.

For comparison, I have, based on my Tom Webster 5.o submission

Kane-McEichel-Ennis

Moulson-Reinhart-Girgensons

Hodgson-Grigorenko-Justin Williams/Joel Ward

Foligno - Larsson - Gionta

This is just MO though, not saying it's perfect. It also changes a ton if either of the two trades I have pegged go down

1) Trade Isles 1st, McCabe/Pysk, and Grigs to Detroit for Larkin/Mantha and a 2nd

or

2) Trade Isles 1st, McCabe/Pysk, Grigs, and our 2nd to Chicago for Sharp and Hjlamarsson

With those players, I'd go:

Kane - Reinhart - O'Reilly (O'Reilly centers this line during the first half of the season, Reinhart for the rest)

Moulson - Eichel - Hodgson

Larsson - Girgensons - Gionta

Foligno - FA 4th C - Deslauriers

You trade Hodgson at the deadline and slot Girgensons on that wing.  Larsson slides over to center the third line with Foligno and Gionta on his wings.

I'm not really sure how this shakes out with winger handedness, but it's not a bad set of forwards (if a bit young).

I just can't see Reinhart getting top line minutes over McEichel. 

I would be leery on Cam Talbot: He might be more of a product of the talent around him in NY then anything, seems that a lot of goalies can plug and play in NY right now.

This was my initial thought as well, so I dug deeper awhile back in another thread and found his AHL stats. They are good

We don't need Stewart. I agree that we need guys who are rough around the edges, but I'd prefer somebody that advanced statistics don't say his team is worse with him on the ice.

Guys like Girgensons, Kane, Larsson, Foligno, Bogosian, Zadorov, Risto, O'Reilly, etc. Chances are one or two of those guys aren't here (not including O'Reilly who probably won't be). But Murray is doing a good job weeding out the weak and adding the strong. That should continue.

Agreed

Ok get something for cody if you can... I think Grig sticks, he showed me something toward the end here and i think he just mite be a late bloomer.

LOL He hasn't even turned 21 yet has he?

Next month. At that point we can all call him washed up. :)

With McEichel in the fold, I think one or both of Larsson or Grigorenko getmoved in a deal for a big burly winger who can put up 15-20 geno's.... like a Scott Stevens (Mario) or Craig Simpson (Gretzky).    Maybe that guy is Foligno, who knows, but With McEichel, Reinhart and Girgensons down the middle, there's extra pieces to flip for help at wing.... or a veteran quarterback for the PP, to tutor the young guys.      

i agree.  I think there will be players on this current team that are moved.  it's going to be a different look next year....for the better.

Kevin Stevens was in Pittsburgh with Mario and Simpson has already completed one stint with the Sabres (although he was pretty much finished by then).  In Edmonton he played most often with Mess and Anderson ...  ;) .

I like your idea, though, but I think that the Sabres may try Grigorenko in that role.  I'm not giving up on Grigorenko.  Living in Halifax, I watched him play a lot when he was with Quebec.  He has a ton of skill and is big.

I would welcome The Hoff back to be that PP QB you talk about.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.