Free Agents this summer, who should Sabres pursue and why.

North Buffalo

I think the best argument for Stewart is that he can help protect the kids and has some scoring ability.  I don't think he was as inconsistent as the recent caterwauling makes him out to be.  That's all I have on him.

Goalie.  Who knows.  The Sabres will need one.  I like the idea of running the numbers on all of them and offering the best one a lot of money for three years.

Did Johnny Boychuk re-sign, yet?

Forget that guy, he's a center...

Edited by SiZzlEmIsTEr

I would really like to get Mike Green. Though he's not the strongest defensively anymore and he's on a decline, he's still a force to be reckoned with on the powerplay. With how awful our special teams are, I think he would be worth the six million he'll command. He'll also be a good tutor for our youngsters when it comes to being an offensive-defenseman.  

I agree with whoever said earlier that this year's RW options are pretty lame, and I don't think St. Louis is the answer for our problems. 

As far as Kaleta goes, I'd love him on the fourth line next year, but I really hope he isn't. The dude has had way too many injuries and is really risking some serious damage each time he gets out there. 

A goalie is obviously going to be a high concern as well and if Murray thinks he has the answer in the system, we may see a stopgap for a few years. If he doesn't think we have what we need, Niemi is obviously the best backstop available and considering his age (32 to start next season), he's probably going to be looking for something to retire off of. 

On a semi-unrelated note, I see a lot of posters putting Zemgus in 1C/2C slots and I don't really understand it. If you're putting him there as a placeholder, it makes some sense, but he seems like an ideal shutdown line kind of guy. 

I think the best argument for Stewart is that he can help protect the kids and has some scoring ability.  I don't think he was as inconsistent as the recent caterwauling makes him out to be. 

It's not recent. Stewart is considered one of the, if not THE, most inconsistent player in the league. I don't want him anywhere near my top six. If he's cheap on the third line? Alright I guess...

It's not recent. Stewart is considered one of the, if not THE, most inconsistent player in the league. I don't want him anywhere near my top six. If he's cheap on the third line? Alright I guess...

I still wouldn't.  I'd rather roll out a 3rd line that can shut opponents down.  Foligno - Girgensons - Deslauriers, or maybe Gionta on one of the wings.

yea and his advanced stats bare/bear?  out that he has major defensive and possession issues.  Hodgson already gives us some of those problems, I would rather see Reinhart on the wing... which for the record I think would be a waste of his passing and distribution talents.

I think the best argument for Stewart is that he can help protect the kids and has some scoring ability.  I don't think he was as inconsistent as the recent caterwauling makes him out to be.  That's all I have on him.

Goalie.  Who knows.  The Sabres will need one.  I like the idea of running the numbers on all of them and offering the best one a lot of money for three years.

Did Johnny Boychuk re-sign, yet?

Forget that guy, he's a center...

Boychuk? No, D-man. He's played a huge part in putting the Islanders over the top. He hasn't re-signed yet. Wonder if he might want to help another New York state juggernaut with an elite center...

yea and his advanced stats bare/bear?  out that he has major defensive and possession issues.  Hodgson already gives us some of those problems, I would rather see Reinhart on the wing... which for the record I think would be a waste of his passing and distribution talents.

Put him with a center that is more goals than assists and you don't waste his playmaking.  Girgensens and Reinhart might make an interesting pair.

Put him with a center that is more goals than assists and you don't waste his playmaking.  Girgensens and Reinhart might make an interesting pair.

I think Zemgus is smart enough to work with Samson, which I think is also one of the things Sammy needs. 

Guest Sloth

I don't understand why a team tries to lose... Blah, blah, blah...

Yeah, he slammed Buffalo pretty hard. Unless the Sabres offer him a good bit more than other teams, Neuvirth is not coming back to Buffalo. It is kind of funny how money can change ones mind though. 

Edited by thanes16

Boychuk? No, D-man. He's played a huge part in putting the Islanders over the top. He hasn't re-signed yet. Wonder if he might want to help another New York state juggernaut with an elite center...

I know Boychuk is a D, I had another dude listed as well.

On Stewart, I don't get why everyone assumes a person mentioning him wants him in the top six.

As far as the list goes... I'm starting out with this lineup:

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Moulson - Girgensons - Reinhart

Foligno - Grigorenko - ???

Deslauriers - Larsson - ???

Bogosian - ???

Risto - Zadorov

Pysyk - Gorges

Weber

???

???

Yes, me having Reinhart on the wing is a diversion from what I've said before. I think he could be fine to start there before the centers all move into place later in the season. I'm keeping Hodgson out of the lineup because I think the team will move on without him.

Looking at that Buffalo needs a top-four lefty dman to pair with Bogosian and right wing help (preferably somebody who could eventually play top-six minutes once Girgensons moves down to the third line and Reinhart slides to the middle) and goalies.

Dmen options...

Mike Green - not a lefty, but he's good enough to where that can be ignored. Not all pairing are/must be lefty/righty. Will cost a lot with injuries being a big risk.

Paul Martin - health is an issue, like Green, but he seems to be getting better with age. Likely won't be looking at a huge/long deal.

Francois Beauchemin - This is my favorite pick to pair with Bogosian. He's a vet and likely has maybe two years left, but he is still an above-average defender who could lead a young defense.

Johnny Odyua - This is a cheaper and safer option. Vet guy who has been on a winning Chicago team for a while now. Good backup option.

Right wing options...

Joel Ward - This is the first guy on the list that caught my attention. He's benefited largely from guys like Backstrom/Ovechkin taking away the attention, but he's a clutch guy who always seems to be right where you want him. Capable 2nd/3rd liner for a few years.

Jaromir Jagr - If we get McDavid I think this is a realistic option. He seems capable of playing until he's dead, and who doesn't want to be buried in a casket made of chicken wings? He would be a great teacher. Only issue is that he's a slow player who may not fit well with McEichel.

Justin Williams - See Jagr. He may be harder to pry away from LA/contending situations, though. Seems to value winning over everything.

Goalie options (I'm dipping outside of free agency here)...

Niemi - He's the best and probably only legitimate starting option in free agency. I have a pretty strong feeling that he'll be either here or in Edmonton next season.

Neuvirth/Enroth - I think there's a decent chance Neuvirth is back and competing for a starting job here. I'm not too confident that Enroth will have much of a shot.

Jakub Markstrom/Eddie Lack - One will probably have to be moved this offseason from Vancouver and either could be long-term answers. A lot of potential. Still question marks.

Robin Lehner - He's been terrible for Ottawa, but he's still a big guy that Murray seemed to like in Ottawa. Maybe he needs to be given the reigns of a team.

Bernier/Reimer - Toronto probably moves at least one this offseason. They've both had up and down careers since becoming the tandem in Toronto, but maybe they need a more stable environment to succeed.

Martin Jones (LA) - He came in and had a pretty crazy statline in LA but it's yet to be seen if that was just a product of their defensive system. Fits the big goalie that Murray wants.

My shot in the dark at the final lineup not including forward/defense trades acquisitions:

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - Ward

Deslauriers - Larsson - Tootoo

Bogosian - Beauchemin

Risto - Zadorov

Pysyk - Gorges

Weber

Niemi

Markstrom

Edited by Tank

Yeah, he slammed Buffalo pretty hard. Unless the Sabres offer him a good bit more than other teams, Neuvirth is not coming back to Buffalo. It is kind of funny how money can change ones mind though. 

I don't have a problem with what he said. Its nothing that hasn't been on everyones minds all year. And this is a business first and foremost especially in GMTM's eyes. He wouldn't think twice about bringing him back in imo.

He was answering a question about what he thought of the media and people online advocating the tank.

As far as the list goes... I'm starting out with this lineup:

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - ???

Deslauriers - Larsson - ???

Bogosian - ???

Risto - Zadorov

Pysyk - Gorges

Weber

???

???

Yes, me having Reinhart on the wing is a diversion from what I've said before. I think he could be fine to start there before the centers all move into place later in the season. I'm keeping Hodgson out of the lineup because I think the team will move on without him.

Looking at that Buffalo needs a top-four lefty dman to pair with Bogosian and right wing help (preferably somebody who could eventually play top-six minutes once Girgensons moves down to the third line and Reinhart slides to the middle) and goalies.

Dmen options...

Mike Green - not a lefty, but he's good enough to where that can be ignored. Not all pairing are/must be lefty/righty. Will cost a lot with injuries being a big risk.

Paul Martin - health is an issue, like Green, but he seems to be getting better with age. Likely won't be looking at a huge/long deal.

Francois Beauchemin - This is my favorite pick to pair with Bogosian. He's a vet and likely has maybe two years left, but he is still an above-average defender who could lead a young defense.

Johnny Odyua - This is a cheaper and safer option. Vet guy who has been on a winning Chicago team for a while now. Good backup option.

Right wing options...

Joel Ward - This is the first guy on the list that caught my attention. He's benefited largely from guys like Backstrom/Ovechkin taking away the attention, but he's a clutch guy who always seems to be right where you want him. Capable 2nd/3rd liner for a few years.

Jaromir Jagr - If we get McDavid I think this is a realistic option. He seems capable of playing until he's dead, and who doesn't want to be buried in a casket made of chicken wings? He would be a great teacher. Only issue is that he's a slow player who may not fit well with McEichel.

Justin Williams - See Jagr. He may be harder to pry away from LA/contending situations, though. Seems to value winning over everything.

Goalie options (I'm dipping outside of free agency here)...

Niemi - He's the best and probably only legitimate starting option in free agency. I have a pretty strong feeling that he'll be either here or in Edmonton next season.

Neuvirth/Enroth - I think there's a decent chance Neuvirth is back and competing for a starting job here. I'm not too confident that Enroth will have much of a shot.

Jakub Markstrom/Eddie Lack - One will probably have to be moved this offseason from Vancouver and either could be long-term answers. A lot of potential. Still question marks.

Robin Lehner - He's been terrible for Ottawa, but he's still a big guy that Murray seemed to like in Ottawa. Maybe he needs to be given the reigns of a team.

Bernier/Reimer - Toronto probably moves at least one this offseason. They've both had up and down careers since becoming the tandem in Toronto, but maybe they need a more stable environment to succeed.

Martin Jones (LA) - He came in and had a pretty crazy statline in LA but it's yet to be seen if that was just a product of their defensive system. Fits the big goalie that Murray wants.

My shot in the dark at the final lineup not including forward/defense trades acquisitions:

Kane - McEichel - Ennis

Foligno - Grigorenko - Ward

Deslauriers - Larsson - Tootoo

Bogosian - Beauchemin

Risto - Zadorov

Pysyk - Gorges

Weber

Niemi

Markstrom

Well thought out post.  I would be happy to see that starting lineup heading into the 2015 season.  Also, that lineup seems within the realm of possibility. 

Really no one else wants Jagr?!

I mentioned him in my post. I would welcome him here, but I just didn't include him in my lineup. If we don't get McDavid I don't think guys like Jagr/Williams consider us. Eichel is a fantastic player who will contribute immediately, but the media and public obsession is still with McDavid. Those guys like don't know nearly as much about Eichel.

Well thought out post. I would be happy to see that starting lineup heading into the 2015 season. Also, that lineup seems within the realm of possibility.

I would be happy, too. I think there's a relatively high chance at least one of Grigorenko/Ennis are elsewhere and a Marleau, Sharp, O'Reilly or an Edmonton/Toronto forward is here.

I don't see Neuvirth returning after his comments today.

I assume this is about his comments from Bucky's column? Was he riffing or responding to pointed questions by Bucky? My guess is the latter and, as such, I don't think Neuvirth would have any problem coming back if the money is right and he has a shot at being a number one goalie. 

GO SABRES!!!

I hope that's not the case.  Not because the Buffalo lineup is in desperate need, but really for Patty's sake.  I feel like he'd be willing to die for us.

True, but I really don't want him to go that far.  Make him a video coach or something to keep him with the team, or let him teach grit in Rochester.  I don't think he's durable enough for continued NHL duty.  

I assume this is about his comments from Bucky's column? Was he riffing or responding to pointed questions by Bucky? My guess is the latter and, as such, I don't think Neuvirth would have any problem coming back if the money is right and he has a shot at being a number one goalie

GO SABRES!!!

That's the operative clause.  I think if he signs anywhere else, he's likely to be in a backup role.  Only the Sabres will recognize his role in keeping his team in games during the tank.  I think it's just as likely that Enroth returns, though.  I'm not sure which I prefer to be honest.  When they're on their game, they're both pretty good; we've also seen both of them be pretty mediocre as well.

I think it really doesn't matter if we get McEichel, suddenly Buffalo gives him the chance to be a starter and he'll obviously know the team won't be trying to lose the next year.

Moulson - McEichel - Kane

Ennis - Reinhart - ???

Foligno - Girgs - Gionta

Deslauriers/Larsson - McCormick - Kaleta

Grigs (Can't figure out a way to use him effectively since he can't go on the 2nd line and I'd like Jagr/Ward but Grigs can go 3rd C and Girgs to 2nd RW)

Bogosian - ???  (Ehrhoff maybe, once the youngsters grow into a top pairing these two can drop down. If Benoit can look so much better with Bogosian imagine Ehrhoff's boost) (Beauchemin and Martin would be good alternatives too)

Risto - Zadorov

Pysyk - Gorges

Weber

Niemi/Neuvirth/Jones

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.