Former Sabre Steve Montador Dead at 35

LastPommerFan

This brings a tear to my eye. No way a pro athlete dies of "Natural Causes" @ 35... People I have talked to in the past who are in the business (sports agents, people connected to front offices in one way or another) have said Steve Montador was well liked in the locker room and an overall very good guy. Like TrueBlue said up thread, this is why head shots need to be taken way more seriously than they are currently

Unfortunately concussions don't always come from dirty hits. Concussions are far too common in many sports and I don't know if they are something that can ever be eliminated.

Poor bastard, 35 is way too young. RIP!

That's entirely my point: you cannot eliminate every concussion, but some can be, and you should make every effort to eliminate those that can be. I don't think the NHL comes close to doing this, nor do I think they're particularly interested in doing so.

That's poorly written and I'm sure you know that. Who thinks it's natural causes?

The police also told other agencies the same thing. Even if it's not the simple fact is the only information from police/officials is "natural causes." There's no reason for Mirtle to make the assumptions, no matter how likely, seem like a fact. That's a disservice to not only his followers but ESPECIALLY those who knew Montador (mainly his family).

If a pedestrian commits suicide it's almost never reported as such. People speculate and know but nobody reports it. That's the families business. I would know.

I understand that athletes and public figures who commit suicide are reported on, but it shouldn't be said until 100% official.

That's entirely my point: you cannot eliminate every concussion, but some can be, and you should make every effort to eliminate those that can be. I don't think the NHL comes close to doing this, nor do I think they're particularly interested in doing so.

I do agree 100%. I think the NFL works much harder at trying to lower concussions than the NHL does. The way the NHL goes about disciplining dirty hits is a complete joke.

The police also told other agencies the same thing. Even if it's not the simple fact is the only information from police/officials is "natural causes." There's no reason for Mirtle to make the assumptions, no matter how likely, seem like a fact. That's a disservice to not only his followers but ESPECIALLY those who knew Montador (mainly his family).

If a pedestrian commits suicide it's almost never reported as such. People speculate and know but nobody reports it. That's the families business. I would know.

I understand that athletes and public figures who commit suicide are reported on, but it shouldn't be said until 100% official.

Well said.

I hope this doesn't cause the NHL to do a kneejerk reaction and try to ban anything resembling toughness. You know like banning fights, or some sort of crazy modification to the hitting game.

If it happened to be Gretzky or Lemieux this happened too, then you would definitely see something done. NHL only cares about the star players. And that is sad to say.

Edited by Claude Balls

The news stopped me in my tracks.

I admired Monty's game on a lot of levels.

As for cause of death, it is possible to die of natural causes at age 35. Very rare, but possible (someone mentioned aneurysm).

I also respect Mirtle, but he'd better be right on that Tweet. If he isn't, I'm not sure what he can do to make it right.

Edited by That Aud Smell

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.