Report your current temp.

PASabreFan

Down here in Texas is positively balmy by northern standards, but the local road crews just aren't equipped to deal with freezing precipitation.

Monday was sleet and ice and the whole DFW area was shut down. Tuesday morning was similarly nasty in the morning but it warmed up during the day and the drive home wasn't so bad. Wednesday morning had snow showers but it was up to the 50s by the afternoon (I actually rode my bike Wed. night). Thursday it got cold again and we got a couple inches of snow. It warmed up a bit which simply meant that by Friday it was all frozen again. Today it rained/sleeted all day. It warmed above freezing again but now it's sleeting and freezing all over again.

Most people don't have experience driving in snow. On ice, it just doesn't matter. I grew up in Buffalo but ice down south is something you just don't see up north. You see, they don't have armies of snow plows and salt trucks here, they only have a few dozen salt/sand trucks in the bigger cities, maybe a couple hundred total (at the most) for the whole DFW area (with a metro population of over 6 million people). So they try to take care of the hills first, then the major highways and arterials, and the hell with side streets.

With the wash-rinse-repeat nature of this week's weather, they keep getting on top of it then it freezes overnight and we go through it all over again. Some pics of this week (courtesy of DFW Scanner FB group):

10314533_910610788959784_959602561730990

1510358_910659265621603_8177770508437447

11021186_910734738947389_571562189297178

11025813_911102112243985_389410199390961

10981510_911115358909327_180386048334732

10:40 pm here and 4 degrees outside. Very comfortable and springlike with blossoms on the cherry tree and tulips in the yard. Couldn't be nicer.

A couple years ago at this time the wife was out scraping the ice off the windshield and she accidentally keyed the carhood with her nipples. Damn that was cold.

Edited by bunomatic

Whether I've lived up north or down south, I'm always amazed by the people who think 4WD/AWD makes them immune to the hazards of ice.

I will say that I've been pleasantly surprised by the traction control of my Fiat 500.  The only time I was "out of control" was in a parking lot where there was water puddled over ice on an incline.  I ever-so-gently slid into the curb (which was "padded" by some of the remaining snow, so no damage to wheels/rims).

10:40 pm here and 4 degrees outside. Very comfortable and springlike with blossoms on the cherry tree and tulips in the yard. Couldn't be nicer.

A couple years ago at this time the wife was out scraping the ice off the windshield and she accidentally keyed the carhood with her nipples. Damn that was cold.

:lol: :lol:

My Dad is in Flordia for the week, so I'm driving his Beemer.  I might have to switch back to the mom van tomorrow if it keeps snowing here.

It was in the 20s today, a nice warm sunday for some pond hockey.  Just beautiful out.  I love it when the snow conceals the valley, it makes me feel like the top of my hill is the only place in the world.

Down here in Texas is positively balmy by northern standards, but the local road crews just aren't equipped to deal with freezing precipitation.

Monday was sleet and ice and the whole DFW area was shut down. Tuesday morning was similarly nasty in the morning but it warmed up during the day and the drive home wasn't so bad. Wednesday morning had snow showers but it was up to the 50s by the afternoon (I actually rode my bike Wed. night). Thursday it got cold again and we got a couple inches of snow. It warmed up a bit which simply meant that by Friday it was all frozen again. Today it rained/sleeted all day. It warmed above freezing again but now it's sleeting and freezing all over again.

Most people don't have experience driving in snow. On ice, it just doesn't matter. I grew up in Buffalo but ice down south is something you just don't see up north. You see, they don't have armies of snow plows and salt trucks here, they only have a few dozen salt/sand trucks in the bigger cities, maybe a couple hundred total (at the most) for the whole DFW area (with a metro population of over 6 million people). So they try to take care of the hills first, then the major highways and arterials, and the hell with side streets.

With the wash-rinse-repeat nature of this week's weather, they keep getting on top of it then it freezes overnight and we go through it all over again. Some pics of this week (courtesy of DFW Scanner FB group):

1510358_910659265621603_8177770508437447

Anyone else see a left-pointing wang in that picture?

Fun little surprise this morning.  Snow and ice fell from the roof at my house blocking egress from both the front and side doors.  Took a little while to bang away at it with the side door until I could get enough room to start clearing it.  Nice way to start a day.

Anyone else see a left-pointing wang in that picture?

Sunnyvale, where the sun don't shine.

Fun little surprise this morning.  Snow and ice fell from the roof at my house blocking egress from both the front and side doors.  Took a little while to bang away at it with the side door until I could get enough room to start clearing it.  Nice way to start a day.

Egress? Really? To quote Mike Harrington's goalie piece: Seriously. Eleven.

Don't worry... just the tip.

(i.e., Ft Worth)

See the lake at the lower left? If you go to the right from there until you're over the 35W icon, that's where I live.

It appears as though you live in the drippy section of the gentleman sausage.

It's not my fault, blame the pierogi, he pointed it out. Then you had to make me look for the water spot, I mean lake. You didn't think that this was going to end without some comment, did you?

Currently 71F with an expect high of 78F and a low of 63F. Tomorrow it's a high of 65F with a low of 29F and precipitation expected. Not sure if the rain/snow will come when it's in the 60's or 20's though. Hopefully when it's in the 20's so they can shut the base down and I get some free paid administrative leave. Friday is expected to be a high of 35F with a low of 25F so with any luck we could get out early on Thursday and miss Friday all together. The biggest perk of living in a region that doesn't have a bunch of snow plows is things getting shut down when the roads get bad.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.