Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

He just had an air about him that was confident, reminded me a bit of Zadorov with that attitude of he can take what ever you toss at him.

I'm so ready for this.  The image of the Sabres psyche for a while has been the fragile player who's not measuring up.  Myers epitomized this; Stafford wasn't far behind.  The GMTM ethos seems to be the player that you can stress and he doesn't give a F.  Bring it.  I guess the "hockey smarts" GMTM looks for includes a certain strength of character and belief in self.  If you're fragile, you can leave.

I'm so ready for this. The image of the Sabres psyche for a while has been the fragile player who's not measuring up. Myers epitomized this; Stafford wasn't far behind. The GMTM ethos seems to be the player that you can stress and he doesn't give a F. Bring it. I guess the "hockey smarts" GMTM looks for includes a certain strength of character and belief in self. If you're fragile, you can leave.

Nice. I like this.

I like him too Liger. He is confident, maybe a bit cocky. Not worried about his rehab or his game being affected. I'm excited to see this guy in game action giving it his all for the sabres. Just wish the Buffalo media would look forward instead of back. Personally I don't care about what went on in the Peg. Before the trade I had my concerns but since Murray downplayed that stuff and Evander himself has shook it off I'm 100% on board. 

it's a good thing that Kane was patient during that press conference.  With the media buffoons at their "best" had he not that press conference could have become very antagonistic very quickly.  I understand questions about his shoulder, about his coming to Buffalo and some questions about what happened in Winnipeg.  Just don't understand why 80% of the questions were negative questions about what happened in Winnipeg.  Just once I'd like to see the player answer a question with "it's none of your business and don't ask again."  I'm sure he'd get crucified in the media for months but it sure would be nice.

It's better that he didn't do that, respk.  It would have reignited an image of a negative player that doesn't belong.  He by all appearances is happy to get out of what turned into a hell hole of a team, at least as far as he was concerned.  He's happy to have a new start.  He happy to be on a team that's on an upswing.  He's happy that he has an opportunity to be one of the leaders on his new team, to help create that team.  Ask him about his old team and I'm sure he was coached (or decided on his own) to just let it go.  Now's not the time to talk about it and clear the air.  No one needs that.  Not his old team, not his old city, not his new team, not his new city.  It's over.  I'm sure there was a personality conflict in the locker room, it got carried away and he ended up the odd man out in the room.  That might be because he's an ass or possibly the other way around - there's one or more ###### in the WPG room.  I don't care.

Every time I've noticed Kane during a game the last few years, it's always been positive.  So far everything he's said about being a Sabre is positive.  I'm content with that.

He and Bogo could possibly be the two most important pieces of the rebuild.  McEichel is important, sure, but he will be new to the league and while he may be good on the ice, there will be a lot of learning to do.  Bogo and Kane come from a team that was pretty terrible and has worked its way into contention.  When you talk about ending the cycle of losing, you need players who've been there, who know how to climb out.  Everyone thinks we need Cup winners and that's important, but just as important are the players who've been part of successful turnarounds.  I'm not sure I would want to bring over a player or two from, say, the Penguins or Blackhawks; they've been consistent winners for a while now, and put into a losing situation they may or may not be able to cope effectively.  (Maybe in a year or two, yeah, to take the next step, but not yet.)  Kane and Bogo come from a team that's just successfully taken that first step from just missing the playoffs to a team this year that looks like they'll be making it.  If the Sabres turnaround bogs down a bit, their experience with the Jets may help the team get through it.  

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

it's a good thing that Kane was patient during that press conference.  With the media buffoons at their "best" had he not that press conference could have become very antagonistic very quickly.  I understand questions about his shoulder, about his coming to Buffalo and some questions about what happened in Winnipeg.  Just don't understand why 80% of the questions were negative questions about what happened in Winnipeg.  Just once I'd like to see the player answer a question with "it's none of your business and don't ask again."  I'm sure he'd get crucified in the media for months but it sure would be nice.

That is what he said, but in a nice way.  

What happens in a locker room, stays in the locker room.   Any player that brings that stuff out into the media looks like a crybaby anyways.

He seems like a nice young man who didn't like the tiny town of Winnipeg. Not the place for a rich young guy. If he scores thirty goals a season he is the biggest steal in awhile

I'm so ready for this.  The image of the Sabres psyche for a while has been the fragile player who's not measuring up.  Myers epitomized this; Stafford wasn't far behind.  The GMTM ethos seems to be the player that you can stress and he doesn't give a F.  Bring it.  I guess the "hockey smarts" GMTM looks for includes a certain strength of character and belief in self.  If you're fragile, you can leave.

Nice post. I agree

TSN reporting a trade rumour that says Myers may be shipped out again from WPeg...

http://www.tsn.ca/video/th-could-myers-be-dealt-again-1.207196  but because I am in the U.S. I cannot watch the video, any idea what the rumour actually is?

I just watched the video from Phoenix using TunnelBear.  You get a free 500M a month or you can get more for $$.   I've never gone over the free limit but I only watch a clip here and there.  

It's better that he didn't do that, respk. It would have reignited an image of a negative player that doesn't belong. He by all appearances is happy to get out of what turned into a hell hole of a team, at least as far as he was concerned. He's happy to have a new start. He happy to be on a team that's on an upswing. He's happy that he has an opportunity to be one of the leaders on his new team, to help create that team. Ask him about his old team and I'm sure he was coached (or decided on his own) to just let it go. Now's not the time to talk about it and clear the air. No one needs that. Not his old team, not his old city, not his new team, not his new city. It's over. I'm sure there was a personality conflict in the locker room, it got carried away and he ended up the odd man out in the room. That might be because he's an ass or possibly the other way around - there's one or more ###### in the WPG room. I don't care.

Every time I've noticed Kane during a game the last few years, it's always been positive. So far everything he's said about being a Sabre is positive. I'm content with that.

He and Bogo could possibly be the two most important pieces of the rebuild. McEichel is important, sure, but he will be new to the league and while he may be good on the ice, there will be a lot of learning to do. Bogo and Kane come from a team that was pretty terrible and has worked its way into contention. When you talk about ending the cycle of losing, you need players who've been there, who know how to climb out. Everyone thinks we need Cup winners and that's important, but just as important are the players who've been part of successful turnarounds. I'm not sure I would want to bring over a player or two from, say, the Penguins or Blackhawks; they've been consistent winners for a while now, and put into a losing situation they may or may not be able to cope effectively. (Maybe in a year or two, yeah, to take the next step, but not yet.) Kane and Bogo come from a team that's just successfully taken that first step from just missing the playoffs to a team this year that looks like they'll be making it. If the Sabres turnaround bogs down a bit, their experience with the Jets may help the team get through it.

Good post.

Great posts Glove.

The whole idea of leadership really resonated with me after watching the press conference.

Kane and Bogosian were drafted to be the cornerstones of the Atlanta Thrasher franchise.

After the move, circumstances - mostly the acquisition of the Chicago guys and Wheeler - a situation evolved where good players and strong personalities effectively prevented them from stepping into leadership roles on and off the ice.

Murray remembered how good they were as juniors and is betting they can step into our on-ice leadership void, be the guys who are counted on to be the key guys when we need to make something happen. Since Drury and Briere, we haven't had guys who wanted to be the ice when the game is on the line. I get the sense Kane and Bogey want to be those guys and Murray is going to grant them that chance at a point in their careers they should be ready for it.

It's a smart move in terms of putting people in a position where they can succeed and I think there is a good chance it could pay off.

I'm like Kane: I can't wait until next year.

I kind of like Kane.  There is just something about him.

lol no not his shoes.  He just had an air about him that was confident, reminded me a bit of Zadorov with that attitude of he can take what ever you toss at him.

I like him too Liger. He is confident, maybe a bit cocky. Not worried about his rehab or his game being affected. I'm excited to see this guy in game action giving it his all for the sabres. Just wish the Buffalo media would look forward instead of back. Personally I don't care about what went on in the Peg. Before the trade I had my concerns but since Murray downplayed that stuff and Evander himself has shook it off I'm 100% on board. 

I think the word that describes it best is swagger.  I wanted nothing to do with Kane when the trade first went down based on the Winnipeg rumors and the idiotic Twitter pics, but I like what I've seen and heard so far from Kane himself, and I certainly hope he proves my initial reaction to be incorrect come training camp next season.  This team desperately needs an attitude adjustment.

Watching the Leafs/Jets, everyone is drooling over Myers (who now has five points in five games).

I'm not seeing a player significantly different than what we saw here. I am seeing a team around him that can support what he does.

I am so desperate to add some talent.

Watching the Leafs/Jets, everyone is drooling over Myers (who now has five points in five games).

I'm not seeing a player significantly different than what we saw here. I am seeing a team around him that can support what he does.

I am so desperate to add some talent.

Same.

He's still chief woodenlegs at times. Nothing appreciably better about his game. Better team around him. Little mistakes aren't snowballing as they often did with the Sabres.

Not sure if this was posted. Pretty neat.

I have no idea how many players can do that but none the less, I'm impressed.

He's still chief wooden legs...

That name never saw well with me. Mobility isn't the issue. It's having the wherewithal to know when and how to use it. Chief wooden skull might be more apt.

Same.

He's still chief woodenlegs at times. Nothing appreciably better about his game. Better team around him. Little mistakes aren't snowballing as they often did with the Sabres.

I've watched most of the Jets games since the trade (including this one) and they're crapping themselves over Myers since he's gotten 5 points in his first 5 games.  But, the Jets are losing ground in the standings and Myers has a +/- of zero (-1 coming into tonight's game) since the trade.  Personally, I see the same Myers.

Murray remembered how good they were as juniors and is betting they can step into our on-ice leadership void, be the guys who are counted on to be the key guys when we need to make something happen. Since Drury and Briere, we haven't had guys who wanted to be the ice when the game is on the line. I get the sense Kane and Bogey want to be those guys and Murray is going to grant them that chance at a point in their careers they should be ready for it.

Yeah we haven't had guys since Drury and Briere since, well, Drury and Briere. Their leadership was incredible and there's been such a void since.

As exciting as this trade period and the off-season will be, I think next year will be doubly so. It won't be so much about building a team, it will be about filling the last few holes to complete a contending team. If you think this is action, you ain't seen nuthin yet.

Bogosian is twice the defenseman Myers is and that much harder to play against, which is what this team needs on the back end. In his first game as a Sabre, Bogo registered 1/4 of Myers' hit total on the entire season. In one game! Yes, in the short term we will miss Myers' offensive prowess but given how streaky that is and that we still have young defensemen that can develop that aspect, I'm not sure how much we'll miss that moving forward.

GO SABRES!!!

I like Bogosian, he alone is changing the culture .. but his 30 minutes a game playing inspiring hockey will make it tougher to shart out Mceichel .. It's going to be close .. I hope we' re humble.. Edited by K8prisoner

As exciting as this trade period and the off-season will be, I think next year will be doubly so. It won't be so much about building a team, it will be about filling the last few holes to complete a contending team. If you think this is action, you ain't seen nuthin yet.

I have a feeling murray won't wait that long, he said when he started he'd do a short rebuild.   Land Mcheichel + few trades in offseason.

I'm expecting a whole new team next year.