Trade: Myers, Stafford, Armia, Lemieux, + Low 1st for Kane, Bogosian, and Kasdorf

dudacek

Absolutely. If they don't re-sign Stafford and none of the prospects pan out as top 6 players (and the odds are they won't), then 4/5 of what Winnipeg got back for Kane and Bogosian is worthless. In the meantime, Buffalo gets a plug-in D man with a better defensive game and a sure-fire top 6 forward if Kane comes back healthy. 

It's easy to see why Winnipeg demanded what they did because they assumed the most risk. 

GO SABRES!!!

This is pretty much the way I look at it

I haven't read the article yet. But to be fair, Kane was getting third line duty in the peg. I believe that situation was likely more toxic than any of will ever know.

I sure miss Jim Kelley also and could imagine the fun he would be having today? One of the best ever.

Don't bring excellent reading comprehension here. That's no fun. Use selective bold formatting more. You'll get the hang of it.

I really think Winnipeg took on most of the risk here, not Buffalo.

A rental, a late 1st, and two good-but-not-great prospects. It's not like we gave up one of our prime assets (Grigs, Risto/Zads, our 1st, Reinhart). 

Still doesn't negate the fact that he'd better be a top 3 forward because this is a deal that doesn't net a top 6. 

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Still doesn't negate the fact that he'd better be a top 3 forward because this is a deal that doesn't net a top 6.

The price paid for Carter and Richards were very similar, if not higher. They were 2nd line players for LA. The price paid for Rick Nash, a legit 1st liner, was higher. Based on recent history I think it was fair.

Didn't see this posted yet.  Masisak writes a nicely objective look at this trade, makes the front page of NHL.com.

He looks at shots per game season averages as propelling Kane into elite territory...

Kane has proven he is one of the best shot generators in the League. This was his worst season for the Winnipeg Jets in that department, and he still averaged 3.41 shots on goal per game.

This is the fifth season Kane has averaged more than 3.2 shots per game of his six in the NHL. Check out the accompanying table for some historical perspective on players who generated shots at that level of consistency by their age-23 season.

There are four other players (dating back as far in NHL history as shots on goal have officially been tallied, which is the start of the 1967-68 season) who have five seasons with at least 3.2 shots on goal per game by Kane's age, and 12 who have at least four seasons.

That is pretty accomplished company to be part of. That's six Hockey Hall of Fame members, the three best offensive players to enter the NHL in the past decade (Ovechkin, Sidney Crosby and Steven Stamkos) and two other guys (Rick Martin and Geoff Sanderson) who each had at least three 30-goal seasons after turning 24 years old.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

The price paid for Carter and Richards were very similar, if not higher. They were 2nd line players for LA. The price paid for Rick Nash, a legit 1st liner, was higher. Based on recent history I think it was fair.

If none of the prospects turns into a top 6, it most certainly is negated. 

GO SABRES!!!

Five parts were given up for two. That adds up to a top 3. Stats keep telling us that he's potentially elite. Experts keep telling us he can be elite. Anything but a top 3 forward makes this trade unacceptable. 

Five parts were given up for two. That adds up to a top 3. Stats keep telling us that he's potentially elite. Experts keep telling us he can be elite. Anything but a top 3 forward makes this trade unacceptable. 

Go back to the Panthers. All you've done is criticize this trade. Relax and let it play out. Most analysts think Sabres received the better players.

From all the hype I've heard, and what was given up t get him, he better be a top 3 forward.

If he's getting the minutes does it matter what top he is? He can be bottom if he really likes it that way as long as he's an active participant that logs a lot of minutes and really works the walls with an active stick.

Go back to the Panthers. All you've done is criticize this trade. Relax and let it play out. Most analysts think Sabres received the better players.

Lighten up Francis, what makes you think your opinion is so much more damn important than mine? Jesus Christ I can't say anything around here without people getting their panties in a wad. I guess this place isn't about differing opinions any more.......... after all I must be the only one questioning this trade. 

Lighten up Francis, what makes you think your opinion is so much more damn important than mine? Jesus Christ I can't say anything around here without people getting their panties in a wad. I guess this place isn't about differing opinions any more.......... after all I must be the only one questioning this trade.

5-0 i hear you and nucci 5-0 has been here awhile, i too question this trade especially Kane and his selfish tude.. Not going to go over well if we have to deal with a bi-polar who wont work. Edited by Icehole

If he's getting the minutes does it matter what top he is? He can be bottom if he really likes it that way as long as he's an active participant that logs a lot of minutes and really works the walls with an active stick.

He can, but that wouldn't make him a top 6 or top 3 forward any more. Usually top 3 or top 6 means you're getting the most minutes, the most opportune scoring chances and the best linemates. I know you're contradicting me for the sake of contradicting me, but "top 3" and "top 6" has always been a broad term for a teams' best 3 and best 6 forwards. 

He can, but that wouldn't make him a top 6 or top 3 forward any more. Usually top 3 or top 6 means you're getting the most minutes, the most opportune scoring chances and the best linemates. I know you're contradicting me for the sake of contradicting me, but "top 3" and "top 6" has always been a broad term for a teams' best 3 and best 6 forwards. 

I know. I was just going for a "top three versus top six is stupid and 50 Shades of Grey came out today" type of thought.

Again, 3 of those "parts" aren't even in the league yet. If they don't pan out as top 6 players, and odds are they won't, then all Kane has to do is maintain his top 6 ability. Not to say anything of Bogosian's unquestioned status as a top 4 D man. As X pointed out previously, Winnipeg bore the brunt of the risk in the trade. 

GO SABRES!!!