2015 IIHF World Juniors

WildCard

It's official: Canada vs Russia in the gold medal game and Slovakia vs Sweden for bronze.

Godla inexplicably not selected as the best Slovakian player. The (mostly Canadian) crowd starts chanting "goalie, goalie", Godla raises his glove in acknowledgement, and the crowd starts cheering. Pretty cool.

Edited by biodork

I know that the world juniors is a great way for scouts to compare talent across the world, but how do they evaluate kids from so many different leagues outside of international competitions? Eichel, McDavid- 2 great talents, 1 from college and the other from juniors. Does Eichel get more scrutiny because he plays college which may be seen as a less competitive league or has the gap closed enough to where it's easy enough for a scout to tell where a player stands no matter where he plays? What about the Europe leagues? Love to see thoughts/opinions

I'm a data analyst, not a scout. My theory is that we are going through a period where the teams that view the draft as a data project are outdrafting the teams that try to do it by eye. I'll have more on this next week, but my draft board was very similar to the better NHL teams, Tampa, LA, St Louis, maybe Nashville, later rounds Detroit. Most of these teams have recent non-top draft picks that are difference makers.

As to your specific questions, what I do is compare Eichel to other USDP players for his 16th year, then see how those players did, but I also need to compare Eichel to the other players his size, his age, because their skill increasing dramatically at this age, and a few other metrics.

The Euro leagues are more difficult for me because the player is often playing with adults. It's easier to tell when someone dominates the CHL league, like McDavid, that he will dominate in the NHL. The Euro is often playing with adults, and doesn't dominate.

As far as OHL/college, there's a big difference in age, OHL is roughly 16-20, college is roughly 18-22

I'm a data analyst, not a scout. My theory is that we are going through a period where the teams that view the draft as a data project are outdrafting the teams that try to do it by eye. I'll have more on this next week, but my draft board was very similar to the better NHL teams, Tampa, LA, St Louis, maybe Nashville, later rounds Detroit. Most of these teams have recent non-top draft picks that are difference makers.

As to your specific questions, what I do is compare Eichel to other USDP players for his 16th year, then see how those players did, but I also need to compare Eichel to the other players his size, his age, because their skill increasing dramatically at this age, and a few other metrics.

The Euro leagues are more difficult for me because the player is often playing with adults. It's easier to tell when someone dominates the CHL league, like McDavid, that he will dominate in the NHL. The Euro is often playing with adults, and doesn't dominate.

As far as OHL/college, there's a big difference in age, OHL is roughly 16-20, college is roughly 18-22

Be interested to see where you place Crouse on that list. Right now for me he ballparks around 11-14th best player. Looking back at last years draft and knowing a little about how you comprise your lists I am interested to know if Lemieux slid down a bit for you.

As to the original question one way to evaluate between the 3 CHL leagues is to figure out Goals and Points per game. It has some application also to seeing how college players are doing but a freshman in college should have a lower PPG than an equally skilled CHL player. As for Euro leagues, I think there is a lot of evidence that judging that talent is difficult. We still see very good European players slide down boards. I think scouts can see the skills but are not sure how they relate to the NA. Looking at points and comparing them to players here is somewhat futile but looking at points and comparing them to the best in that league can help to indicate things. For instance Gustav Possler last season prior to his injury was 1st on his team in goals and something like 3rd in the league for points. That tells you something. Comparing his 8 goals though to someone like Reinhart's 36 (?) is completely useless though.

Tell me you aren't referring to Datsuyk and Zetterberg

No, lately. Just a theory developed looking at their drafts, it looks like Tank tanks the first 3 picks, and I get the next 4. I wouldn't have taken Larkin, but you guys love Larkin. I wouldn't have taken Audette's kid, or Bertuzzi Nephew last year, but for me, their lower picks are wonderful. I wouldn't be surprised if Nyquist was a product of their data guy.

I think Datsuyk and Zetterburg are a product of Detroit was doing more scouting in Europe at that time, but that was a long time ago, Now everyone has people in Europe.

As far as Crouse, Liger's question, I haven't been looking at 2015 at all, still occupied with 2014, so I don't know. I'm looking forward to where Marner ends up.

Be interested to see where you place Crouse on that list. Right now for me he ballparks around 11-14th best player. Looking back at last years draft and knowing a little about how you comprise your lists I am interested to know if Lemieux slid down a bit for you.

As to the original question one way to evaluate between the 3 CHL leagues is to figure out Goals and Points per game. It has some application also to seeing how college players are doing but a freshman in college should have a lower PPG than an equally skilled CHL player. As for Euro leagues, I think there is a lot of evidence that judging that talent is difficult. We still see very good European players slide down boards. I think scouts can see the skills but are not sure how they relate to the NA. Looking at points and comparing them to players here is somewhat futile but looking at points and comparing them to the best in that league can help to indicate things. For instance Gustav Possler last season prior to his injury was 1st on his team in goals and something like 3rd in the league for points. That tells you something. Comparing his 8 goals though to someone like Reinhart's 36 (?) is completely useless though.

you also have to take account whom the player plays with and how the team fairs to the rest off the leauge. SEL (OR SHL which it's called) is a very defense-oriented league and there is generally less scoring than in the NHL. Possler and Olofsson is playing in a trainwreck team that has been MODO this past seasons. They both have about 0.5ppg this season and are counted on to provide some scoring.

I usually watch some MODO games but I'm not that into the SHL anymore (Ullmark was a beast before this season also). Nylander (toronto's first round 2014 pick) is a 1ppg player on that team right now, and you probably know about the hype around him, he's probably a good measuring stick.

Btw, I don't know if you guys heard about this but Modo has been so desperate to generate interest in the team so they brought in Brashear (yeaah..).

But you're right it's hard to know how these players fair in the NHL. Example: Johan Larsson. he, Silverberg (Anaheim) and järnkrok (nashville) had a great youth-line together in the SHL-team Brynäs a couple of years ago when they won the leauge playoffs. If i remember correctly I think Larsson captained that juniors team that won gold also, and he was really valuable for Brynäs but Silverberg was the star. (they had some other guys in Brynäs also: Svedberg (boston), Mattias Ekholm (Nashville), Elias Lindholm (carolina)). From Brynäs website about Johan Larsson a couple of years ago "Larsson will find succes in the NHL. He combines skill, hockey sense, strength with a physical playing style. He's and all-around player and could be used in every possible situation"- ("Larsson kommer att lyckas väl i NHL. Han kombinerar sin spelskicklighet, spelsinne och teknik med en fysisk spelstil och fysisk styrka. Han är på så sätt väldigt all-around och kan av coachen användas på flera olika sätt.")

Edited by Dannepanne

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.