GDT: Flames @ Sabres, 12/11/2014, 7:00 pm, MSG

LGR4GM

Colorado? You mean that team with MacKinnon, Landeskog, and Duchesne? Good thing they had those high draft picks. Funny how crappy they've become since they traded Briere (remember how important he is to winning) for Stastny (not worth the money?).

Sorry, just finding humor in the fact that Colorado had the tank and they are back again and that one guy who wasn't worth the money he was paid is no longer there and the team suddenly blows again.

Oh.. and Buffalo won. Bottom line.

And.. someone tell Rob Ray that #4 is Gorges, not George.

not Gorgeous George ?

Dude, this is awesome.

###### the tank. Let's roll boys. Late April beckons.

With football season almost done, this gives a little bit more life into what may be an entertaining rest of the hockey season. Playoffs or not, at least it looks like they might be fun to watch.

You don't know how much I'm resisting this. Then again, they keep this up for another month and it's a moot point.

GO SABRES!!!

Don't hold it back. Don't let Darcy Regier's feeble attempt at marketing to save his job keep you from enjoying your team's victories. Come on, when you saw that sauce from Ennis, Girgs get his ninth, and little Tyler knock the defense down to find MattyMo, the guy who signed long term to play for these fans when their team was the literal worst, that smile was in you. That wonderful feeling in your chest that makes you throw your hands in the air and shout, the reason why you sit at work all day waiting to go home for 7pm puck drop, remembering the skating and daydreaming of your childhood on the pond, all the reasons hockey defines a part of who you are, that nobody else understands except these guys on this messageboard. That's why I watch hockey, at least. That's why I don't feel bad when my team wins games.

Someday soon we'll be watching a deep playoff run, Nikita blasting home an overtime point shot, that becomes the newest extention in the youtube videos of May Day, Legion of Doom, goes around Alfredsson cuts in fron-SCOOOOORES, that we watch with a tear in our eye, and we'll laugh at the worry these wins in December of 14 caused us.

With football season almost done, this gives a little bit more life into what may be an entertaining rest of the hockey season. Playoffs or not, at least it looks like they might be fun to watch.

Yeah. I don't think playoffs has any reasonable shot this year. But I want them to lose games about as much as the players do.

Don't you think that it is time you guys stopped smoking?

I'll stop when Stafford's not a Sabre anymore.

Rick and Rob were hilarious tonight. Does my heart good to hear Rick doing a full game.

Girgensons had an off night tonight. Luckily for him, Ennis was everywhere. That finish by Moulson on the cross check pass was a thing of beauty.

First full game I've caught in a good while. Keep it going boys!

Ennis' hand-eye has always been amazing. I love how Teddy has just let him play his game.

He's really been a difference maker lately.

Anyone miss Hodgson?

*crickets chirp*

Finally, a reason for Stafford to be on the team: It's a better team with him than with Hodgson.

Actually, both our whipping boys have been doing okay of late, though Staff has been putting up a few points, playing point on the PP, etc. He's not a star, but he's turning into a steady veteran. If you forget about the pitiful scoring numbers, he's actually pretty versatile.

Don't hold it back. Don't let Darcy Regier's feeble attempt at marketing to save his job keep you from enjoying your team's victories. Come on, when you saw that sauce from Ennis, Girgs get his ninth, and little Tyler knock the defense down to find MattyMo, the guy who signed long term to play for these fans when their team was the literal worst, that smile was in you. That wonderful feeling in your chest that makes you throw your hands in the air and shout, the reason why you sit at work all day waiting to go home for 7pm puck drop, remembering the skating and daydreaming of your childhood on the pond, all the reasons hockey defines a part of who you are, that nobody else understands except these guys on this messageboard. That's why I watch hockey, at least. That's why I don't feel bad when my team wins games.

TMI.

J/K. Go Sabres!

GOALLLLL

Directing it was always allowed.

I seem to remember (possibly before the 2004 lockout) that if you moved your skate at all it was no goal, but I could be wrong. When that changed, you could move the skate but not in a distinct kicking motion. Now unless it's an intentional kicking motion (like if you were skating or falling and your skate pushes the puck into the net) it'd be fine?

I seem to remember (possibly before the 2004 lockout) that if you moved your skate at all it was no goal, but I could be wrong. When that changed, you could move the skate but not in a distinct kicking motion. Now unless it's an intentional kicking motion (like if you were skating or falling and your skate pushes the puck into the net) it'd be fine?

I could be wrong because I didn't hear Toronto's explanation. But neither Rob or RJ seemed to mention it looked like the puck went off Moulson's stick after it went off his skate. In that case it wouldn't matter if it was a kicking motion. I'm not sure on that, but it was something that was never mentioned.

--------------------------

I stand corrected.

http://www.nhl.com/i...2&cmpid=nhl-twt

Edited by JJFIVEOH

It looked like it went off his stick to me, despite what the TV crew said. I believe Moulson said, afterward, he wasn't sure if it went off his stick.

Regardless, it looked to me like an attempt to redirect the puck towards his stick. I would think that look is what made it a good goal.

Edited by sizzlemeister

Welcome to your Latvian Sabres!!

The Sabres are competitive within the game. They've cleaned up their own zone. They have a ton of size on the back end and they can all skate and cover ground.

(Well at least 3 of them).

I don't understand the lines beyond Ennis, Girgs, Moulson, but they look dangerous most shifts.

Giordiono is much better than I remember.

The Sabres are competitive within the game. They've cleaned up their own zone. They have a ton of size on the back end and they can all skate and cover ground.

I don't understand the lines beyond Ennis, Girgs, Moulson, but they look dangerous most shifts.

Giordiono is leading our Fantasy Hockey lead in points this year.

Agreed. Outside of the GEM line everything is just cobbled together and involves a ton of spare parts. I think next year with the addition hopefully of Reinhart (he may do a year in the AHL) and Grigorenko/Armia that we will finally start to see some actual stable lines.

I can't believe, after October and the first part of November, we're actually talking positives about the Sabres.

This was a fun game to watch - we figured it was over though when Calgary, the top scoring team in the 3rd period, scored that goal and took the lead early in the 3rd. Who woulda thunk the Sabres would score TWO in the third FTMFW?

And that goal earlier in the game with Ennis stealing the puck and feeding to Moulson...... that was just a textbook goal - beautiful!!! I could watch again and again.

Edited by Jsixspd

I can't believe, after October and the first part of November, we're actually talking positives about the Sabres.

This was a fun game to watch - we figured it was over though when Calgary, the top scoring team in the 3rd period, scored that goal and took the lead early in the 3rd. Who woulda thunk the Sabres would score TWO in the third FTMFW?

And that goal earlier in the game with Ennis stealing the puck and feeding to Moulson...... that was just a textbook goal - beautiful!!! I could watch again and again.

It was fun. making the most of 5 scoring chances a game.

Agreed. Outside of the GEM line everything is just cobbled together and involves a ton of spare parts. I think next year with the addition hopefully of Reinhart (he may do a year in the AHL) and Grigorenko/Armia that we will finally start to see some actual stable lines.

XB: are you saying that you don't understand the line combinations? i.e. that different combinations of these players would be more effective? Or that you don't understand how the 6 guys who are on their 2nd and 3rd lines are on an NHL roster?

XB: are you saying that you don't understand the line combinations? i.e. that different combinations of these players would be more effective? Or that you don't understand how the 6 guys who are on their 2nd and 3rd lines are on an NHL roster?

The roles of the middle two lines.

Especially I'm not sure if I understand what Stafford, Foligno, Stewart is about. What is the role of that line?

Flynn-Mitchell-Gionta ..seems like a checking line.

Delauries-Kaleta-McCormick I get.

I'm not upset, mind you, I'm just not sure what it is that is being asked of them.

I'm not saying it won't work, either. It just doesn't seem initially apparent to me.

These guys are starting to remind of the Nolan team of 96/97.

I tend to think 95-96 is more what the target is... Absolutely no fun to play against, but still not winning very often. Maybe that's my target.

Regardless, my 9 year olds absolutely love watching the GEM line. Given that I am in Boston (one of their squirt teammates grandfather played for the Bruins back in the 60s), I'm glad to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

I tend to think 95-96 is more what the target is... Absolutely no fun to play against, but still not winning very often. Maybe that's my target.

Regardless, my 9 year olds absolutely love watching the GEM line. Given that I am in Boston (one of their squirt teammates grandfather played for the Bruins back in the 60s), I'm glad to see a little light at the end of the tunnel.

I think 95-96 is exactly the target.

Ennis made the CGY Dman his bitch on that play.

EDIT: And I fully expected that to be :censored: out.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

The roles of the middle two lines.

Especially I'm not sure if I understand what Stafford, Foligno, Stewart is about. What is the role of that line?

That line (plus Hodgson) are the leftover parts, the Island of Misfit Toys. I think their purpose is a banging line. Not a checking line, but a line of big guy that have some scoring talent (although it's really not showing much) but goes in and bangs up the opposing D on their forecheck. They're kind of like the shelling before the amphibious landing by the GEM line. Their goal is to try not to get scored on more than they score.

Speaking of being scored on and scoring, look at the +/- stats from last night. Only 4 minus players last night (the above-mentioned line, plus Gorges's horrendous outting). Compare to earlier in the season when most of the team was minus most nights.

So since it didn't, perhaps you could use the edit function.

Since it's not censored I would assume it is within the community guidelines.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.