Zemgus makes All-Star Team

matter2003

While I like Gus, I think this has become ridiculous. It's one thing if Latvia is lifting him on their shoulders and showing off their home town hero but Sabres fans voting 10x a day? Color me unimpressed. He might deserve to go but making him the unanimous leading all-star just tells me there is something wrong with the process. The last thing I want is the kid going if he doesn't deserve it.

There was something wrong with the process before this. There are six Blackhawks being voted heavily, when I'd say 2 or 3 are having the seasons to back it up. I'm voting because otherwise I wouldn't watch the game, and I think it'd be a lot of fun to add a guy in there who only knows how to play the game with intensity, it'd be interesting to see how it meshes with guys not trying.

I've also only voted for four days, so I'm not making much of a difference :P

While I like Gus, I think this has become ridiculous. It's one thing if Latvia is lifting him on their shoulders and showing off their home town hero but Sabres fans voting 10x a day? Color me unimpressed. He might deserve to go but making him the unanimous leading all-star just tells me there is something wrong with the process. The last thing I want is the kid going if he doesn't deserve it.

Who cares? It's the all star game. It doesn't count for anything and the league allows the fans to vote for a reason (because they want their involvement). There's nothing wrong with the process. The fans voting are the ones who will tune in to watch in all likelihood.

I don't vote every day but when I do I vote for all Sabres the full 10 times I'm allowed. It only takes 30 seconds because you can pull up the last ballot you submitted and resubmit it until you hit your limit.

Personally I vote for Kaleta every time as well because he's so hated around the league that I'd find it hilarious to see him out there and chirping the other all stars but he's not from Latvia so I don't think he has a chance in hell.

Without Zemgus or any other Sabres in the game I'd have zero interest in watching.

You can vote more than 10x a day if you use different browsers. First use IE, then Firefox, Chrome, Safari, Opera, slimboat....etc. There you go.

And if you use proxies, the limits are endless ....

Merry Christmas all you Latvians (unless it's a day or 2 early, in which case, get your arse back to voting. ;))

From D & C

Sabres’ Girgensons gets Latvian boost

BUFFALO – Zemgus Girgensons feels a little sheepish discussing how fans back home in Latvia have clicked and quadruple-clicked his name so often that the Sabres forward is running away with the NHL All-Star Game vote. The second-year player appreciates the overwhelming support he’s received from the Baltic nation. And yet the 20-year-old Girgensons doesn’t consider himself worthy of being included among the league’s elite. “It’s a little bit embarrassing and funny at the same time,” Girgensons said, before the Sabres hit the road for a two-game swing that concludes Tuesday at Detroit. “It came out of nowhere. I know people know me back home, but I didn’t think it was going to go that far. That’s like crazy far.”

http://on.rocne.ws/1B7rWTn

Edited by inkman

"Girgensons laughed when reminded that Latvia, a country with a population of about 2 million people, accounts for about 1 million of his vote total."

“Yeah,” Girgensons said, smiling. “Only half like me.”

F'n fantastic :thumbsup:

Is it possible to give him the C and both A's?

• 2 weeks later...

"Fans cast more than 35 million votes this year, up 52 percent from the 2012 NHL All-Star fan campaign. Nearly 27 percent of those votes were cast by fans outside of North America, up 7,000 percent from 2012."

Is that math correct???

If the percent was just under .004, then yes.

Some of those buttholes are taking the game WAY too seriously. I kinda wish Zemgus turned it down to save face but that doesn't seem like his persona.

His persona just may go out and light up the All Star game. While everyone else is enjoying the Sunday afternoon skate around the pond, Zemgus just may go out and play his ass off because he doesn't know any other way. I'd love it if he went balls to the wall and won the MVP.

GO SABRES!!!

Some of those buttholes are taking the game WAY too seriously. I kinda wish Zemgus turned it down to save face but that doesn't seem like his persona.

I think he would turn it down if it were just about hockey, but I don't think he would do that to his countrymen. This is going to mean a lot to Latvia.

There really are examples of this every year where guys are voted in as starters who are more likely reserves. It is what it is. I love it personally, though it is funny that a guy of Zemgus' pedigree would be the choice. Weird things happen all the time in sports. It's good for the atypical NHL viewer to get a look at someone they might not familiarize themselves with. Zemgus is taking it in stride as he always does.

This what you get when you let fans vote count too much. Fan voting should only account for 1/4. The remainder should be 1/4 coaches/GM's, 1/4 media and 1/4 the players themselves.

Though I stated just above that I loved that he's getting voted in, I can definitely appreciate that point of view.

There really are examples of this every year where guys are voted in as starters who are more likely reserves. It is what it is. I love it personally, though it is funny that a guy of Zemgus' pedigree would be the choice. Weird things happen all the time in sports. It's good for the atypical NHL viewer to get a look at someone they might not familiarize themselves with. Zemgus is taking it in stride as he always does.

Though I stated just above that I loved that he's getting voted in, I can definitely appreciate that point of view.

Being an old-timer I can remember when the All-Star Games really meant something, to me at least. I would love to see Girgensons play in the All-Star Game, it should be because her earned it not because of the internet version of stuffing ballot boxes. For the record, I am also against idea that every team needs to be represented.

Being an old-timer I can remember when the All-Star Games really meant something, to me at least. I would love to see Girgensons play in the All-Star Game, it should be because her earned it not because of the internet version of stuffing ballot boxes. For the record, I am also against idea that every team needs to be represented.

I'm betting that Girgensons is the last skater picked. But I'm really glad he's in there. He's going to make a lot of Letts very happy, and he'll be the only reason I watch it.

But yeah, I agree with everything you wrote.

the all star game has never meant anything. if it meant anything to you it was because you where to young to know how pointless it is. earned it? like all the times the aging superstar that is not a superstar gets appointed to the team not because his on ice play earned it but because his name makes the sponsors happy? I for one am happy with the fan voting system. it puts the uselessness of the game front and center for all to see. personally I am hoping girgs is last picked, goes out and lays out some lumber and throws body checks during the game

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.