Star Wars - now with SPOILERS! (Read at your own risk)

Robviously

Maybe it's because I'm beginning to be old school, 34 now, but I have no interests or desire to see Star Wars or any other movie in 3D. If you've never seen a Star Wars movie in 3D, at least see it in 2D your first time round. Your idea of what Star Wars won't be influenced by doing this. That's my opinion. Now enjoy!

Edited by Thanes16

Maybe it's because I'm beginning to be old school, 34 now, but I have no interests or desire to see Star Wars or any other movie in 3D. If you've never seen a Star Wars movie in 3D, at least see it in 2D your first time round. Your idea of what Star Wars is won't be influenced by doing this. That's my opinion. Now enjoy!

Yeah I'm 10 years your senior and have no inclination to see anything in 3D. I actually enjoy plot lines as character development. I don't need visual augmentation to supplement for a lack of other things.

I hope nobody here watched WKBW's story on it, though. They showed the screen several times including a few key plot points and the end of the movie.

When I was at a local theatre for the premier, a reporter on live tv news asked a kid what was his favorite part of the movie. His father quickly told his son not to answer that. Does the media not have common sense? 

I liked it. It felt about 30 minutes too long, but it was good.

I honestly thought that you, Mr. Critical, would be ranting about a couple of things :p

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Non-spoiler stuff:

-The casting was flat-out terrific for all of the key roles. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega killed it. One secondary role I found a little meh, but great job overall.

-Harrison Ford can still act. Who knew? Loved how he handled old Han.

-Not that this should surprise anyone, but some of the imagery was really cool.

-Kylo Ren! A nuanced Star Wars villain! It's a Christmas miracle.

-The humor was unexpected and very welcome. About 90% of it was very well done and didn't feel forced (no pun intended).

A few things, however, did irk me:

- Another death star, with seemingly one fleet of tie fighters to defend it...that a janitor knew how to blow up? Ugh.

-Rey seemingly becoming a force master instantly. I get that she's supposed to be beastly with the force, but zero training and suddenly she can mind trick, force pull a lightsaber to her, etc? I think her being able to handle Ren on her own (granted, yes, he was sorta crippled with a blaster shot and the fight with Finn) kind of undercut his menace. That said, I am glad that we get to watch Ren develop, rather than him already being at the apex of his power. Just think Rey's power development could have been handled better.

-I hope the purpose of Ren killing Han was to make him irredeemable. I'll be pretty annoyed if they completely re-hash the Anakin story arc.

-This isn't necessarily the movie's fault since it's the first of a new trilogy, but man, we still don't know anything about what's going on. Why is there a New Republic and a resistance? If the Republic is backing the resistance, doesn't that make it the Republic army? And where in the world did the First Order come from? It seemed like Leia and Han knew Snoke, or at least of him, so really want more information here. While understanding they have to plan ahead and save something, I think they could have at least given us more on the Republic/resistance dynamic.

I honestly thought that you, Mr. Critical, would be ranting about a couple of things :P

Anyway, I really enjoyed it. Non-spoiler stuff:

-The casting was flat-out terrific for all of the key roles. Daisy Ridley and John Boyega killed it. One secondary role I found a little meh, but great job overall.

-Harrison Ford can still act. Who knew? Loved how he handled old Han.

-Not that this should surprise anyone, but some of the imagery was really cool.

-Kylo Ren! A nuanced Star Wars villain! It's a Christmas miracle.

-The humor was unexpected and very welcome. About 90% of it was very well done and didn't feel forced (no pun intended).

Ford did an incredible job. He said he hasn't really needed to act when playing Han Solo. Ford said he's just being himself. 

I'm just typing random stuff right now because if you're on the desktop of the site and hit the arrow to preview the latest post in the thread it bypasses spoiler tags. I hope this is long enough. Okay I'm sure it is now.

I agree, True Blue. I was like "ANOTHER Death Star? And then I was like she JUST learned she has the force and this is her first ever lightsaber battle! Cmon. But after a few eye rolls I got over it.

I'll be interested to find out who her parents are. After last night's movie I looked up theories from before the movie came out. Some wondered if Kylo Ren was Ken from "Jedi Prince," a 90s book everybody hated. The only thing people liked was Ken. He was General Palpatine's grandson. He grew up light but then trained with Luke and had battles with his darker self... Rey was raised in the desert and is about to train with Luke... Hmmmmm.

I was also annoyed with how easy everything was for the good guys here even though they were seemingly outnumbered by many.

someone asked for my opinon about the 'normal' showing and the 3D Imax...

I'm glad I saw it normal first... but I'm 42 so 3D doesn't excite me for first time viewing.  I don't want to be distracted on 'how great it looks', I just want the movie... THEN i'll go geek out at the IMAX and 3D.

Since EVERYONE needs to see this movie twice to experience the emotions and fully enjoy (stop thinking so much) it, I'm going to suggest that you see it 'normal' screen first, then 3D.  The 3D IMAX was amazing, for sure.  Some shots I was freaking speechless with how cool it was, BUT for fast moving action, 3D doesn't translate well AND the whole movie isn't as bright as it should be because of the glasses needed to see the effects.

can't wait to see it again!!!

I was surprised how well Rey handled the lightsaber for the first time, but as evidenced by skill with her staff, she is skilled at hand to hand combat. This could translate to skill with a lightsaber. 

Luke's Lightsaber called to Rey at Maz's Palace and Ren mentioned that Rey is very strong in with the Force. 

Also they interviewed Kathleen Kennedy in London and she mentioned the ENTIRE cast including Harrison Ford is slated to return for Ep 8. If this is true could it be flashbacks or did he defy all odds and somehow survive?

It also bothered me that the movie illuminated nothing about the political climate of the galaxy. The opening text crawl made a big deal about the FIRST ORDER and REPUBLIC and RESISTANCE. How did the first order come to power? Were those planets that got blown up the entire Republic? Why did the movie think I would randomly care about a bunch of people I don't know on planets I don't know? Why does there have to be ANOTHER deathstar? Starkiller is the worst name ever.

Why didn't Leia do anything the entire movie? All she did was meaningfully interact with Han. That was neat, but she did zero governing/general stuff. Brienne of Tarth also did nothing but yell at Finn.

Why did R2 wait until the end to wake up? Why didn't he wake up as soon as BB8 showed up with the missing part of the map? Luke didn't need to be in this movie at all, as cool as it was to see him.

I agree with Blue that Rey's force got outta control real fast. I was able to accept her resisting Ben Solo, but the immediate mind tricks and sword fighting was a bit much. Finn looked like a beginner with the lightsabre, but Rey apparently knows how to use it right away because she carries a staff around.

I wasn't totally sold on Ben Solo's actor, but his character was solidly written. This is an angry teenager with really bad father issues. He tries his best to be calm, but really doesn't have it.

I also thought that they implied a bit too much emotion between Finn and Rey. Finn and Po should be romantically involved, not Finn and Rey.

That was the best performance I've seen from old man Harrison. Glad they killed Han. The bridge was a nice touch. In fact, all the star warsy looking space ships were awesome.

The score was too constant. I wanted to just hear blaster and lightsabre noises sometimes, but the poor balance made the lightsabres sound less impactful.

I like the way Ben using the force looked.

Edited by qwksndmonster

I was surprised how well Rey handled the lightsaber for the first time, but as evidenced by skill with her staff, she is skilled at hand to hand combat. This could translate to skill with a lightsaber.

Luke's Lightsaber called to Rey at Maz's Palace and Ren mentioned that Rey is very strong in with the Force.

Also they interviewed Kathleen Kennedy in London and she mentioned the ENTIRE cast including Harrison Ford is slated to return for Ep 8. If this is true could it be flashbacks or did he defy all odds and somehow survive?

On Han - my guess is a definite flashback. Hayden Christensen (Anakin) is reportedly coming back so chances are he will be in flashbacks of that nature. You're right on the staff part, though. Hadn't thought about it.

It also bothered me that the movie illuminated nothing about the political climate of the galaxy. The opening text crawl made a big deal about the FIRST ORDER and REPUBLIC and RESISTANCE. How did the first order come to power? Were those planets that got blown up the entire Republic? Why did the movie think I would randomly care about a bunch of people I don't know on planets I don't know? Why does there have to be ANOTHER deathstar? Starkiller is the worst name ever.

Why didn't Leia do anything the entire movie? All she did was meaningfully interact with Han. That was neat, but she did zero governing/general stuff. Brienne of Tarth also did nothing but yell at Finn.

Why did R2 wait until the end to wake up? Why didn't he wake up as soon as BB8 showed up with the missing part of the map? Luke didn't need to be in this movie at all, as cool as it was to see him.

I agree with Blue that Rey's force got outta control real fast. I was able to accept her resisting Ben Solo, but the immediate mind tricks and sword fighting was a bit much. Finn looked like a beginner with the lightsabre, but Rey apparently knows how to use it right away because she carries a staff around.

I wasn't totally sold on Ben Solo's actor, but his character was solidly written. This is an angry teenager with really bad father issues. He tries his best to be calm, but really doesn't have it.

I also thought that they implied a bit too much emotion between Finn and Rey. Finn and Po should be romantically involved, not Finn and Rey.

That was the best performance I've seen from old man Harrison. Glad they killed Han. The bridge was a nice touch. In fact, all the star warsy looking space ships were awesome.

The score was too constant. I wanted to just hear blaster and lightsabre noises sometimes, but the poor balance made the lightsabres sound less impactful.

I like the way Ben using the force looked.

Brienne had a minor role and that's fine. She doesn't need to do much more. Her role was much more prominent than Daniel Craig and Simon Pegg... There's definitely some origin stuff to sort through over the next five movies, though.

Why should Po and Rey be a thing but not Finn and Rey? That makes little sense considering the interactions the characters had throughout the movie... Unless... Ya know.

I really like Adam Driver as Ben/Kylo right now. He's weak. And I'm sure there will be a ton of growth. It'll be Rey and Kylo growing in opposite directions. That's what we have going forward.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.