GDT: San Jose @ Buffalo. 7:30 pm et, NBCSN

WildCard

I thought they showed great poise in just getting it out of the zone with the goalie pulled and not trying to just try to get a lucky goal from their own side of the red line.

I enjoyed this game.

And it wasn't just when they scored the goal. They cleared the zone several times and I kept waiting for the long bomb to miss the net and be and icing, but instead they calmly got to the center line before clearing it in. Finally they got an opportunity to take a good shot and buried it. Nice.

that's twice an average Carolina/Florida attendance. If there's one thing that always keeps me proud about Buffalo, it's how loyal/absurdly fanatic we are about our crappy, pathetic teams.

Fixed it for ya

I just read an article where Irbe suited up for the second period on. Could he have played? If so, why couldn't a scratched player come down from the press box if needed every game? Is there a special rule for goalies?

Yes. If your starting goalie gets injured, you can dress an emergency backup. He could have only entered the game if Enroth was injured.

The Gionta/Mitchell/Flynn line confused me at first but the more I see them play I can see why they were put together

They are good together, but I still can't see why. Can you explain it to me? (Seriously... they work, but I don't get why.)

Zadorov contines to improve and I really like the Risto/Zad combo plus the fact that they are playing in all situations now

We now have Top-4 defense: Myers and (whoever - Strachan, Gorges), and Zad & Risto. They amazing thing is that the kids don't seem to need any adult guidance; they're doing pretty well on their own.

Girgensons...just wow

Girgs = highest hockey IQ on the club. He sees the game in six dimensions.

Neuvirth...it sucks that he got hurt, alot

True, but hey, we don't want to get uppity and think we're good. Let Enroth play a few games and write his own ticket out of town. Although he's not a bad goalie, he isn't starter material. Neuvirth is. I'm kinda looking forward to a Neuvirth/Makarov tandem down the road.

Is that possible? :P

Yes. Once the youth starts bubbling up to the big club, Flynn will be the senior statesman of the farm club and a dependable call-up.

Edited by Neuvirths Glove

Yes the rule is different for goalies. The league always wants two goalies dressed in case of injury. They had Irbe sign a pro contract between periods. He could have played.

He could only play in the event of an Enroth injury:

In regular League and Playoff games, if both listed goalkeepers are incapacitated, that team shall be entitled to dress and play any available goalkeeper who is eligible. This goalkeeper is eligible to sit on the player’s bench, in uniform. In the event that the two regular goalkeepers are injured in quick succession, the third goalkeeper shall be provided with a reasonable amount of time to get dressed, in addition to a two-minute warm-up (except when he enters the game to defend against a penalty shot).

No but they are lucky.

Corsi minus 35 and 4 Goals on 14 Shots should not equal a win. But a win is a win

They may have been terribly outshot, but they certainly weren't outplayed. I was not impressed at all with San Jose, the Sabres deserved this win. It was a typical Ted Nolan game, exactly what we'd expect to see more often.

That was a fun game to watch but I'd of rather watched the leafs. By the way where's all the blame for Nolan ? There's plenty goin his way when they lose.

Leafs having given up 14 over their last 2 games. They had something like 35 turnovers through 2 periods. Switched goalies tonight and it didn't matter one bit. Oof.

Leafs having given up 14 over their last 2 games. They had something like 35 turnovers through 2 periods. Switched goalies tonight and it didn't matter one bit. Oof.

Watching the highlights there was a whole lot of standing around in the leafs zone on every goal. Carlyle must be nervous.

They may have been terribly outshot, but they certainly weren't outplayed. I was not impressed at all with San Jose, the Sabres deserved this win. It was a typical Ted Nolan game, exactly what we'd expect to see more often.

I agree with this. This is definitely a case where the numbers are not reflecting reality. The first ten minutes of the first, perhaps, where the Sabres had to keep up, but once they got going, the Sabres were easily keeping up with SJ. They seemed to get better as the game went on.

Is it just me, or is Nick Deslauriers getting better?

I think he always had the energy and was using it to get noticed, to get ice time. With the ice time he's getting experience and settling in and knows better what to do in a given situation. That's my take, anyway. I think GMTM was wise in picking this guy up; if he continues on this trajectory I can see him being a significant part of the rebuild. Sure, he scored, but his defensive play is impressive too, which creates opportunities. The D know that when he's on their wing, they can join the rush and know Nicky D has their back covered.

Is it just me, or is Nick Deslauriers getting better?

He stood out to me as well. Difficult to say if this is a one game bump in his development, or if it's a milestone. I will say he stood out once before to me, although I don't recall why. What's his ceiling?

I think he always had the energy and was using it to get noticed, to get ice time. With the ice time he's getting experience and settling in and knows better what to do in a given situation. That's my take, anyway. I think GMTM was wise in picking this guy up; if he continues on this trajectory I can see him being a significant part of the rebuild. Sure, he scored, but his defensive play is impressive too, which creates opportunities. The D know that when he's on their wing, they can join the rush and know Nicky D has their back covered.

Recall that he's only been a forward for a couple years. He was a defenseman that the Kings wanted to try at forward when in the AHL.

This will be comical if we purposely tank for two years and come away with Reinhart (who i believe will be an average player at best) and Barzal or whoever else is the 4th/5th rated player.

This is why you don't tank. The players and coaches are trying to win. Personally i hope this tank blows up right in TP's face. I don't want the dipshit thinking this is the way you build teams. Otherwise, he may decide to let the Bills hit 20 years with no playoffs.

He stood out to me as well. Difficult to say if this is a one game bump in his development, or if it's a milestone. I will say he stood out once before to me, although I don't recall why. What's his ceiling?

I don't think he has the scoring ability to be anything more than a 4th liner, but I think he could be a perfect 4th liner and I'm a fan. He plays a two way game, hits, fights, plays hard, and can chip in with points.

I think he's been a bright spot this season

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.