Ted Nolan "I learned last week I can't say what/how I feel."

Ghost of Dwight Drane

I think Nolan has a system. I just think it's not effective. It allows far too many shots against, and does not generate enough scoring chances. The counter attack offense in the NHL has diminished significantly in importance as a result of the focus on possession.

And if motivation is his primary weapon, he's obviously failing miserably. I

As best as I can tell, I think he is trying to play more of a counter-attacking system. But, with so little team speed, that doesn't seem well thought out.

I'm a proponent of selecting a style of play and acquiring players who fit that style. We could field a big, bruising hard hitting team. We could go for speed, speed, and more speed. We could field a team of guys who are uber-skilled with the puck. We could build around goaltending and defense.

...but, I can't tell at the moment exactly what we're trying to be. It's just a mismatched bunch of puzzle pieces that don't fit together.

OK, so do you tailor the system to the players you have now — who suck? Or do you put the system in place now that you want to use when the talent is there, even though that system will fail miserably? Or is there truly no system, just "wax on, wax off" to break these guys down and start with the very basics — instilling the want to break through a brick wall to win?

Interesting debate. But I would be flabbergasted if Nolan is this idiot who has no system whatsoever and doesn't have ideas for breakouts/entries/retrievals and the like.

I'm sure he has a system, PA; problem is that with this ragtag bunch, it's really difficult (for me, at least) to figure out what it is. Also, I'm not watching as many games as I used to, so I have less information to work with.

At least they don't have a three man bobsled formation chasing the puck in their own end anymore.

I think I've turned on Hodgson. I think.

I feel like I just can't deny the profile anymore: The meddlesome hockey dad, the bitching to get out ot Vancouver rather than be part of something special and play your way up the roster, that funking pink popped collar when he played knee hockey at Gerbe's place, the super too square persona (that seems to hint at a kind of softness on some level (yeah, I know, "guy trains with Gary Roberts!")), and, what's really started to push me, the way he has simply faded into Bolivia this year in a difficult circumstance.

See ya, Prince Cody.

I feel like I just can't deny the profile anymore: The meddlesome hockey dad, the bitching to get out ot Vancouver rather than be part of something special and play your way up the roster, that funking pink popped collar when he played knee hockey at Gerbe's place, the super too square persona (that seems to hint at a kind of softness on some level (yeah, I know, "guy trains with Gary Roberts!")), and, what's really started to push me, the way he has simply faded into Bolivia this year in a difficult circumstance.

See ya, Prince Cody.

I'm on this train now as well. I still don't want Kassian. But I don't want Cody either. He's a wimp.

See ya, Prince Cody.

I said it on another thread, but it looks better suited here.

Sizzle I am sorry I ever disagreed with you. You are absolutely right: Hodgson sucks.

I'm on this train now as well. I still don't want Kassian. But I don't want Cody either. He's a wimp.

All of these. He might be a decent 6th- or 7th-best forward on a team with a great offense that doesn't rely on him for anything, but he's no tentpole. He's not fast, he's not tough, he doesn't elevate his teammates, he's largely invisible...and Darcy gave him the same long-term, upper-middle-class contract he gave Roy. Yuck.

All of these. He might be a decent 6th- or 7th-best forward on a team with a great offense that doesn't rely on him for anything, but he's no tentpole. He's not fast, he's not tough, he doesn't elevate his teammates, he's largely invisible...and Darcy gave him the same long-term, upper-middle-class contract he gave Roy. Yuck.

If he doesn't improve, the saving grace is that with 118 guys on entry deals, we should be able to avoid cap jail for the length of the contract.

I'm going to hold you all down and let DeLuca tickle you until you can't breathe......

In fairness, you and he were as wrong about Kassian as many of the rest of us were about Hodgson.

Personally, I may as well go down with the ship: I still think Hodgson can be a nice offensive piece in the right situation, but he is not and will not be a difference maker. And that makes me sad.

In fairness, you and he were as wrong about Kassian as many of the rest of us were about Hodgson.

Personally, I may as well go down with the ship: I still think Hodgson can be a nice offensive piece in the right situation, but he is not and will not be a difference maker. And that makes me sad.

Huh?

What's wrong about holding out hope for a true power forward that hasn't been on the team versus a wussified softie that your team has a dozen of?

PS, Kassian has 25% of the scoring output of the entire Sabres and is locked in at 25% the salary of Hodgson....but try again!

See ya, Prince Cody.

I has a sad. Thought he would be something. Instead he's a nothing. Love the Tyson shout out.

Although my son shares Hodgson's first name, I'll have to be quick to point out 19 in St the reason behind it. I do love me some 8 though. ;)

Edited by inkman

Huh?

What's wrong about holding out hope for a true power forward that hasn't been on the team versus a wussified softie that your team has a dozen of?

PS, Kassian has 25% of the scoring output of the entire Sabres and is locked in at 25% the salary of Hodgson....but try again!

It's fair to point out here that one Kassian-Hodgson bet has already been decided in Hodgson's favor...

Huh?

I suppose somebody is going to look up some quotes, but I'm positive you and he went much farther than simply "holding out hope" about Kassian.

To answer your question as posed, there's nothing wrong with hoping for a power forward, I'll happily concede that. Now if you would just concede that trying to find centers who can score is also a valid thing to hope for ;)

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.