Ted Nolan "I learned last week I can't say what/how I feel."

Ghost of Dwight Drane

Frankly I think Ted should be saying more. These guys are professionals and are paid well. Do your job. This season was to be one where management figured out who the passengers were and who was going to carry the mail. Players offended by being called out aren't made of the right stuff anyways. Have some pride. Its becoming obvious to anyone who watches who's heart just isn't in it. Get off of this team if you're soft and don't want to put an honest effort in. And blaming TN for a lack of effort, talent or blown assignments is getting old.

Edited by bunomatic

It is almost as if Ted's retirement plan includes getting fired.

Why do you think I started this thread?

Nolan hasn't worked.

To me, that isn't on Nolan.

You can't serve two masters. I would love for Nolan to walk on his own account. I think that would be the manly thing to do. It would be a delicate balance of looking like a quitter, but at the same time, embarassing those who brought you in. It looks bad on 2 fronts. Which is why the proper path is acceptance, and taking it on the chin when the time comes. It's a crappy situation for the guy.

I'm surprised there isn't more of a discussion about Tim Murray and the Ottawa situation. He said if he knew his uncle was sick, he would not have come to Buffalo. He is sad and feels regret. I am sure this is mainly out of familial concern, but at the same time, if he just orchestrated a run to the conference finals for a valid franchise, his comments may have trended more towards 100% support than regret. It is a telling situation, and as much as people here love burrying their heads in the sand during real life crisis, this has implications in not only Tim's lament, but an opening in Ottawa at some point soon. God Bless his uncle. I really respect that guy.

Nolan hasn't worked.

You can't serve two masters. I would love for Nolan to walk on his own account. I think that would be the manly thing to do. It would be a delicate balance of looking like a quitter, but at the same time, embarassing those who brought you in. It looks bad on 2 fronts. Which is why the proper path is acceptance, and taking it on the chin when the time comes. It's a crappy situation for the guy.

I'm surprised there isn't more of a discussion about Tim Murray and the Ottawa situation. He said if he knew his uncle was sick, he would not have come to Buffalo. He is sad and feels regret. I am sure this is mainly out of familial concern, but at the same time, if he just orchestrated a run to the conference finals for a valid franchise, his comments may have trended more towards 100% support than regret. It is a telling situation, and as much as people here love burrying their heads in the sand during real life crisis, this has implications in not only Tim's lament, but an opening in Ottawa at some point soon. God Bless his uncle. I really respect that guy.

Nolan quits, and he never gets another NHL job. He stays and plays the part of loyal soldier, and 29 GMs will take notice.

Nolan quits, and he never gets another NHL job. He stays and plays the part of loyal soldier, and 29 GMs will take notice.

I agree....which is why he is trying to get fired....maybe even subconciously.

I'm in a dicey spot with this. I respect Nolan big time. His biggest coaching asset hasn't had an impact. I don't think he has an NHL head coaching gig after this. At the same time, he was blackballed his first go around, and maybe with some valid reason.

It's best for all parties involved to blow it up.

When does Teddy look in the mirror and ask "is it me?"

Anyone following my posts knows I think Nolan is in over his head but he's not doing a terrible job. Maybe somewhere between average to poor. If you don't have the horses, you won't win any races. He can spur and whip these horses all day, and they will continue to look at him with blank stares.

Hasn't it already been blown up?

Isn't this the darkest hour before dawn?

Please tell me it is.

I think this season is truly the lowest of the low. Finishing with the worst record in the league for a second straight season makes things seem like this abyss will go on indefinitely but if even half of our pipeline pans out this team will be much improved over the next couple of seasons.

Underachievers and guys like Stafford, Hodgson, Meszaros, Benoit, and Foligno can be moved out, traded, or demoted to make room for guys like Grigorenko, Armia, Carrier or Larsson, Psysk, and McCabe.

Prospects like Reinhart, Baptiste, and Bailey will be old enough to move up to Rochester, plus there are still guys like Compher, Hurley, and Fasching that are developing in the NCAA that may be ready to make the jump to either the AHL or NHL.

Throw in a true top line center like Eichel who will immediately become our best player and we can't possibly be worse next season.

Having a center lineup of Eichel, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and McCormick or Larsson with a guy like Reinhart waiting in the wings looks pretty good to me and they should play well being slotted where they belong instead of being forced to play on lines above their talent level.

Our defensive pairs should finally be solid with Myers and Gorges, Ristolainen and Zadarov, and McCabe and Psysk with Weber as a reserve.

This could potentially look much better and I don't see how they could possibly look any worse.

I think this season is truly the lowest of the low. Finishing with the worst record in the league for a second straight season makes things seem like this abyss will go on indefinitely but if even half of our pipeline pans out this team will be much improved over the next couple of seasons.

Underachievers and guys like Stafford, Hodgson, Meszaros, Benoit, and Foligno can be moved out, traded, or demoted to make room for guys like Grigorenko, Armia, Carrier or Larsson, Psysk, and McCabe.

Prospects like Reinhart, Baptiste, and Bailey will be old enough to move up to Rochester, plus there are still guys like Compher, Hurley, and Fasching that are developing in the NCAA that may be ready to make the jump to either the AHL or NHL.

Throw in a true top line center like Eichel who will immediately become our best player and we can't possibly be worse next season.

Having a center lineup of Eichel, Grigorenko, Girgensons, and McCormick or Larsson with a guy like Reinhart waiting in the wings looks pretty good to me and they should play well being slotted where they belong instead of being forced to play on lines above their talent level.

Our defensive pairs should finally be solid with Myers and Gorges, Ristolainen and Zadarov, and McCabe and Psysk with Weber as a reserve.

This could potentially look much better and I don't see how they could possibly look any worse.

They will definitely be better, but (barring trades or FA signings, both of which I expect) they won't be MUCH better for a couple more years simply due to youth. But better days do appear on the horizon.

Nolan hasn't worked.

I, too, am surprised this hasn't got much play. However, I don't think it indicates a desire to return to Ottawa down the road but rather him thinking he let his Uncle down by not being there for him. At first I was surprised he said it even if I understand his feelings but thinking about it some more, that's the kind of guy he is, just saying what he feels without any self editing.

I, too, am surprised this hasn't got much play. However, I don't think it indicates a desire to return to Ottawa down the road but rather him thinking he let his Uncle down by not being there for him. At first I was surprised he said it even if I understand his feelings but thinking about it some more, that's the kind of guy he is, just saying what he feels without any self editing.

I understand too. I was just saying, your environment has an effect. If Murray felt he was joining a top organization and his early moves resulted in great success, he'd probably be saying more along the lines of, "Anything my Uncle needs, I'm here for him. I talk to him every day and I owe my livelyhood to his mentoring." Instead, he talked honestly of outright regretting leaving Ottawa, multiple times. I love Murray because he doesn't want to self-edit. That's why he is a goldmine into the true nature of others.

I understand too. I was just saying, your environment has an effect. If Murray felt he was joining a top organization and his early moves resulted in great success, he'd probably be saying more along the lines of, "Anything my Uncle needs, I'm here for him. I talk to him every day and I owe my livelyhood to his mentoring." Instead, he talked honestly of outright regretting leaving Ottawa, multiple times. I love Murray because he doesn't want to self-edit. That's why he is a goldmine into the true nature of others.

I don't think Murray was expecting anything different than what we've seen so far in his tenure. I think if he was the GM of the Blackhawks right now he would still be saying the same thing.

There is quite a bit of reading the tea leaves going on here. It's quite likely that TM's regrets, as TW posted, are due to leaving a possibly terminally ill family member, not to taking the Sabres' job. And it's also quite likely that TN is not trying to get fired -- he's trying to motivate his team.

Why does TN get a pass? He knew the roster before he signed on. He also knew the job was not to contend, but to build an identity and to teach the younger players how to assimilate into that environment. If the plan isn't working it is as much Ted's fault as anyone's. Girgs has bought in and the young d are playing hard. Gorges is a pro's pro and Gionta is playing along, though not at a level below historical average. Weber and Strachan give effort, and dare I say Stafford looks like he is trying to turn it around. The talent level blows. But what isn't fathomable is how these players can't know where they are supposed to be. That's the coach. Period.

There is quite a bit of reading the tea leaves going on here. It's quite likely that TM's regrets, as TW posted, are due to leaving a possibly terminally ill family member, not to taking the Sabres' job. And it's also quite likely that TN is not trying to get fired -- he's trying to motivate his team.

This.

Why does TN get a pass? He knew the roster before he signed on. He also knew the job was not to contend, but to build an identity and to teach the younger players how to assimilate into that environment. If the plan isn't working it is as much Ted's fault as anyone's. Girgs has bought in and the young d are playing hard. Gorges is a pro's pro and Gionta is playing along, though not at a level below historical average. Weber and Strachan give effort, and dare I say Stafford looks like he is trying to turn it around. The talent level blows. But what isn't fathomable is how these players can't know where they are supposed to be. That's the coach. Period.

I can't speak for others but I feel bad for Nolan because he has to try to make chicken salad out of chicken ###### every night. Sure he knew the team was bad when he signed on but it's still the NHL and the fact that he was coaching in freaking Latvia shows how much he really wants to coach hockey and the chance to coach it at the highest level is an opportunity he couldn't pass up.

It's an uphill battle for sure and he definitely doesn't have these guys firing on all cylinders but he's doing what he can with what he's got.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.