Current Carrion Hockey League Standings

Taro T

Magic Numbers for games played through 3/12 (30 days left in the regular season)

Ottawa, Florida - 1
Colorado - 2
Philadelphia - 5
New Jersey - 8

Columbus - 13
Toronto - 15
Carolina - 17
Arizona - 25
Edmonton - 28

Nashville, Montreal, NY Islanders, Anaheim, NY Rangers, Tampa Bay, Detroit, St Louis, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Washington, Minnesota, Vancouver, Calgary, Winnipeg, Los Angeles, Boston, San Jose, Dallas - Clinched

Dallas clinched tonight. The list continues to dwindle, but we all know where the real challenge is anyways. Ottawa can clinch tomorrow.

Current worst case: 3% (11th place) in the lottery

Edited by Tank

Current standings through games played 3/12.

Team         GP  L  W OT PT MPP PR RPTC CPM

Buffalo      67 42 19  6 90 120 30 28   18.7

Edmonton     68 39 18 11 89 117 28 29   14.0

Arizona      68 39 21  8 86 114 28 32   12.4

Toronto      68 35 27  6 76 104 28 42    8.6

Carolina     66 33 25  8 74 106 32 44    8.0

Columbus     67 34 29  4 70 100 30 48    8.5

CPM = per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/10 in AM

Eulers at BJ's in a 2-1/2 bagger. Loafs in Calgary.

I really did think Buffalo would be the clear frontrunner for the shart.  They were historically bad last year, nobody else in the league was even close.  Murray signed a few guys, but realistically, I thought Enroth/Neuvirth would be terrible, we'd struggle to score consistently, and we'd have horrible possession stats, leading to a lot of shots on goal that our goalies couldn't stop.  I thought we'd be maybe 6 or 8 points better than last year and nobody else would be too close.

In the end, my thoughts weren't too far off, outside of Neuvirth and Enroth--both of whom were decent--and I didn't predict that Edmonton, with all that young talent, would be this bad.  I never gave Arizona a second thought until about 2 weeks ago. 

I agree that at the start of the year we were head and shoulders above the other CHL contenders, but once we had that huge December aberration then all bets were off and it was a legit race for the shart.  I still like our chances and believe we've set ourselves up nicely with the elite CHL talent necessary to win this damn thing.

Current standings through games played 3/12.

Team         GP  L  W OT PT MPP PR RPTC CPM

Buffalo      67 42 19  6 90 120 30 28   18.7

Edmonton     68 39 18 11 89 117 28 29   14.0

Arizona      68 39 21  8 86 114 28 32   12.4

Toronto      68 35 27  6 76 104 28 42    8.6

Carolina     66 33 25  8 74 106 32 44    8.0

Columbus     67 34 29  4 70 100 30 48    8.5

CPM = per sportsclubstats.com and lottery weighting - last updated 3/10 in AM

Eulers at BJ's in a 2-1/2 bagger. Loafs in Calgary.

At this point, all games with Buffalo, Edmonton or Arizona are important to the CHL. The Septic Six is really a three team race...

Sorry if posted elsewhere, but puck daddy is providing their powerless rankings complete with "chances the NHL fixes the draft for them" for each team..

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/nhl-draft-tank-powerless-rankings--will-bettman-fix-the-lottery-for-your-team-181303868.html

5. Toronto Maple Leafs (58 pts.)

Current Draft Lottery Odds: 9.5 percent

Chances The NHL Fixes The Draft For Them: The NHL is already bringing every event imaginable to Toronto in the next few years for the 100th anniversary of the first pandering to Toronto, so they might as well bring McDavid too. 

1. Buffalo Sabres (43 pts.)

Current Draft Lottery Odds: 20 percent

Chances The NHL Fixes The Draft For Them: If the NHL was smart, they would, but given how they already changed the draft rules to jerk around Murray, we’re guessing they're not fans of abject tanking. 

Edited by Claude_Verret

I like that Buffalo are seen as Villains almost for "tanking" but no one seemed to care when Pittsburgh did it. When Edmonton did it year after year. Or how now Toronto and Arizona do the same.

Folks absolutely cared when Pittsburgh intentionally tanked for the chance to draft the obvious generational talent.  You don't remember it becuase it was Mario Lemeiux.

Folks absolutely cared when Pittsburgh intentionally tanked for the chance to draft the obvious generational talent.  You don't remember it becuase it was Mario Lemeiux.

I don't think anyone on this board will forget this season, even if they tried  :death:  :bag:

Edited by WildComrade

Not that I was really around, but while that may have been the case at the time, I don't think history judges them in light of that. I certainly don't hear any mainstream commentators referencing it when talking about those Lemieux teams.

I like that Buffalo are seen as Villains almost for "tanking" but no one seemed to care when Pittsburgh did it. When Edmonton did it year after year. Or how now Toronto and Arizona do the same.

Or the fact reporters were praising Arizona for commiting to a Buffalo Style Rebuild while simultaneously blasting the Sabres

Or the fact reporters were praising Arizona for commiting to a Buffalo Style Rebuild while simultaneously blasting the Sabres

I'll play devil's (not those Devils) advocate, there's a different between starting the year with a bad team and selling off at the deadline. I don't disagree with the Sabres path, but I can see people thinking there's a difference between "we're going to be bad but we're not going to mortgage the future to try to get to mediocre" and "well, turns out we're bad let's give up for the season". Not a ton of difference, but a difference.

I don't buy Murray thinking Stewart, Gionta, Moulson, Gorges, Benoit and Meszaros were going to be this bad.

He thought they were going to improve the team.

I respectfully disagree. I think he had a real good idea that they wouldn't improve the team enough to get out of last place. I think his only miscalcuation was the play of Enroth in December.

My guess for next season is that they end up in the 3rd tier of non-playoff teams in the Eastern conference. The Ottawa Senators of 2015-16.

They wont be a top contender for the Shart next year but certainly still in the league.

Edited by Crusader1969

Which team will be worse than Buffalo next season?    Arizona?  Zona is likely all in for their own homegrown Auston Matthews in the 2016 draft.  That's likely their target.    Carolina might be worse than they were this year too, but I do see EDM improving.   Still expect Buffalo to finish bottom 4 next season, and with the first 3 picks decided by lottery, anything can happen.

Bottom line tho is that BUF has no more veteran pieces to sell-off... so it's all building from here on out, however they'll still suck next season.

Edited by pi2000

I respectfully disagree. I think he had a real good idea that they wouldn't improve the team enough to get out of last place. I think his only miscalcuation was the play of Enroth in December.

My guess for next season is that they end up in the 3rd tier of non-playoff teams in the Eastern conference. The Ottawa Senators of 2015-16.

They wont be a top contender for the Shart next year but certainly still in the league.

Yes and no. I agree he thought the team would be bad enough to be in the hunt for McDavid.

But I think he also thought the team would score more goals and be competitive in more games.

Maybe plus 10 to 15 points extra with the veteran additions, but minus a half-dozen more because of no Miller?

That's still a 60-point lottery team.

I don't buy the popular idea that he carefully calculated a 50-point team from the get-go.

He's tried to ensure that at the deadline, but he didn't start the season preaching lose at all costs.

Ted Black has done a masterful job at removing accountability from everyone in this organization.

Like Teddy Nolan, Murray has benefitted from it.

As for next year, the Ottawa comparison is where my expectations are too.

Edited by dudacek

Which team will be worse than Buffalo next season?    Arizona?  Zona is likely all in for their own homegrown Auston Matthews in the 2016 draft.  That's likely their target.    Carolina might be worse than they were this year too, but I do see EDM improving.   Still expect Buffalo to finish bottom 4 next season, and with the first 3 picks decided by lottery, anything can happen.

Bottom line tho is that BUF has no more veteran pieces to sell-off... so it's all building from here on out, however they'll still suck next season.

This. Any player movement will be based on improving the team not getting value for expiring contracts.