Trade speculation 2014-15

Hoss

So fun fact. There are currently 5 LHD in the top 30 Rankings:

#3 - Noah Hanafin

#16 - Ivan Provorov

#24 - Carlsson Gabriel

#27 - Jakub Zboril

#30 - Thomas Chabot

Just saying that if Murray wanted to trade Myers and replace him with a LHD... he could do it in the first round of this draft. Provorov would fit. If Jakub Zboril keeps going he could be a really good #2 guy. Murray has options in the draft if he chose to move Myers.

Oh I used the ISS rankings.

He's not looking at guys to replace Myers in 2-3 years, I assume. He wants somebody that can do it tomorrow. I love the draft but unless your picking really high immediate need is completely irrelevant.

What does him not being high end have to do with what I stated? Murray prefers his D to be mobile. He said that. It's on the record. How is Myers not that sort of D man?

Fair question. Whenever anyone talks about Myers' offensive ability it begins and ends with his skating. He can fly into the zone with the puck when he chooses to. My question is his passing and vision. Yes, he can skate. And, I love his defensive game as of late - his reach is a huge asset on the penalty kill. But, honest question, when is the last time anyone said "wow, what a great pass by Myers?" ...It just doesn't happen. I also don't think he has the vision and creativity to be a top pair power play guy. My assessment of Myers has always been he a good, but not great player. Do we need him to be great? That's a whole other discussion.

This is a case where Murray has all the leverage. We're winning and Myers is signed long-term. If someone gets desperate he moves Myers. Otherwise, Myers is staying for the foreseeable future.

He's not paid to be elite and is better than Ellis and Ekholm. Probably still better than Jones.

I'd trade Myers for Seth Jones straight up in a heartbeat. Seth is a better all-around player than Big Tyler. Ellis is for sure better offensively, but Myers has him on the defensive end. Mattias Ekholm is debatable. I like Matty a lot and he is getting better and better with experience after coming over from Sweden.

Fair question. Whenever anyone talks about Myers' offensive ability it begins and ends with his skating. He can fly into the zone with the puck when he chooses to. My question is his passing and vision. Yes, he can skate. And, I love his defensive game as of late - his reach is a huge asset on the penalty kill. But, honest question, when is the last time anyone said "wow, what a great pass by Myers?" ...It just doesn't happen. I also don't think he has the vision and creativity to be a top pair power play guy. My assessment of Myers has always been he a good, but not great player. Do we need him to be great? That's a whole other discussion.

This is a case where Murray has all the leverage. We're winning and Myers is signed long-term. If someone gets desperate he moves Myers. Otherwise, Myers is staying for the foreseeable future.

I'd trade Myers for Seth Jones straight up in a heartbeat. Seth is a better all-around player than Big Tyler. Ellis is for sure better offensively, but Myers has him on the defensive end. Mattias Ekholm is debatable. I like Matty a lot and he is getting better and better with experience after coming over from Sweden.

I would make the Jones-Myers trade, too... But only because Jones' potential is far ahead of Myers.

You're right. I also think Nikita is playing so well because he has been told it will increase his trade value.

I think with Zadorov there is a lot more behind the scenes that we don't see. He has games where he is the best player on the ice. Then he he gets benched during a freaking prospects tournament. Makes you think he has some issues with motivation. This guy wasn't benched for the first month the season for no reason. Clearly he has weight issues. For all we know he could have addiction issues. Bottom line we just don't know.

I don't believe Murray wants to hitch his wagon and millions of dollars to him. Since the day he was hired I have never heard Murray say anything positive about him. Yes, the asking price is high. Yes most players are tradeable for the right price. If Zadorov was in the Sabres long-term plans Murray would have said so. Especially with that cocky attitude Nikita appears to have. Again, for all we know Zadorov's better play of late could be inspired because he wants out. Maybe his agent went to Murray and told him he was going to go to Russia if he wasn't moved. Murray says play at the highest level you can and I will maximize what I can get for you.

FLA -- Now you've done it. You've ticked off the mild-mannered Canadian. Get ready for more Scott Stevens kill shots.

You're right. I also think Nikita is playing so well because he has been told it will increase his trade value.

I think with Zadorov there is a lot more behind the scenes that we don't see. He has games where he is the best player on the ice. Then he he gets benched during a freaking prospects tournament. Makes you think he has some issues with motivation. This guy wasn't benched for the first month the season for no reason. Clearly he has weight issues. For all we know he could have addiction issues. Bottom line we just don't know.

I don't believe Murray wants to hitch his wagon and millions of dollars to him. Since the day he was hired I have never heard Murray say anything positive about him. Yes, the asking price is high. Yes most players are tradeable for the right price. If Zadorov was in the Sabres long-term plans Murray would have said so. Especially with that cocky attitude Nikita appears to have. Again, for all we know Zadorov's better play of late could be inspired because he wants out. Maybe his agent went to Murray and told him he was going to go to Russia if he wasn't moved. Murray says play at the highest level you can and I will maximize what I can get for you.

If you don't think things like this happen in professional sports you are naive. I can tell you with first hand experience it happens every day.

This entire post saddens Nikita. I don't believe any such thing exists.

Looking over the roster, Myers is of the few players on the team that would return anything worthwhile in trade that's playing well and not a prospect or someone Murray brought in. It's fairly natural that the speculation would be around him. Ennis also fits that description, but his size probably reduces the volume of rumors.

MattPie's Theorem: "The volume of trade rumors is directly proportional to the size of the player."

:clapping:

This sarcasm pleases Nikita.

yeah. Lets be honest. As fans we no little to nothing about what goes on in the locker room, Murrays head or his office. Last year he was pretty transparent and open with the media. This year its like he's been on a leave of absence which may have something to do with his uncles sickness ? But we are no where near 60% knowledge about what goes on with this team behind closed doors. 15 % MAYBE. And most of that is hearsay and innuendo.

GMTM was on WGR and had this to say "We are rebuilding, we have not forgotten that fact even though we are playing well thats great but we are rebuilding and you just try to accumulate assets and at this point in my career, my job in Buffalo thats my job right now"

This gives us a little insight into what his thought process might be.

He also mentioned he had a meeting with Pegula yesterday as well, where he mentioned to TPegs that trades do not happen overnight.

http://media.wgr550.com/a/100017524/12-11-sabres-gm-tim-murray.htm?pageid=28473

Quote starts around 7:48.

I will go back to what I posted awhile ago. I think with Myers there is a lot more behind the scenes that we don't see. He has always been inconsistent. He has games where he is the best player on the ice. Then he has games where he is completely lost. Makes you think he has some issues between the ears. This guy wasn't seeing a psychologist for no reason. And most likely seeing that psychologist was at the urging of the organization. For all we know the guy could be pn meds. Bottom line we just don't know.

I'm pretty sure it's the Marfan's

GO SABRES!!!

He's not looking at guys to replace Myers in 2-3 years, I assume. He wants somebody that can do it tomorrow. I love the draft but unless your picking really high immediate need is completely irrelevant.

Quick, tell me when you think the Sabres will actually be a decent playoff team again. Did you answer 2-3 years. Huh? Funny how that worked out isn't it.

Oh and you guys truly believe all GM's always draft Best Player Available... :lol:

I'm pretty sure it's the Marfan's

GO SABRES!!!

I am pretty sure he lacks the hockey IQ to play at the great level consistently and Ristolainen and Zadorov do not have the same issue.

GMTM was on WGR and had this to say "We are rebuilding, we have not forgotten that fact even though we are playing well thats great but we are rebuilding and you just try to accumulate assets and at this point in my career, my job in Buffalo thats my job right now"

This gives us a little insight into what his thought process might be.

He also mentioned he had a meeting with Pegula yesterday as well, where he mentioned to TPegs that trades do not happen overnight.

http://media.wgr550....tm?pageid=28473

Quote starts around 7:48.

I always find it interesting when two reasonably fair and intelligent people can hear the same thing but not hear the same thing. I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right but I felt as though TPegs was telling TM to be patient and that things don't happen overnight.

Quick, tell me when you think the Sabres will actually be a decent playoff team again. Did you answer 2-3 years. Huh? Funny how that worked out isn't it.

Oh and you guys truly believe all GM's always draft Best Player Available... :lol:

To the first part: drafting a LHD outside of the very top of the draft means they likely won't hit the pros for 2-3 years. Having a big-time impact at that point is another thing.

Second: childishness aside I never said they always draft BPA. I said they don't go for immediate need outside of the very top. If the prospect pool is lacking dman then they'll lean that way if the talent is close but they aren't going to be sitting at 24 and think "hmmm we need a top four dman so we definitely need to go dman here."

Here's one thing we DO know: Zadorov reported over weight and out of shape. He was benched during the prospects tourney. Then he was glued to the press box for the first month and a half. Did we hear a peep out of him? No. Instead he was challenged by the staff, worked his ass off, and is now showing why he was a 1st round pick. None of that speaks to a player that wants out, is unhappy, or has motivation issues. Quite the contrary.

And he's very generous with pucks for little kids during pregame skates.

GO BILLS!!!

A number of posters have mentioned this theory -- i.e. that TM will make trades with the goal of weakening the team in order to finish DFL. I think there is NFW that he does this.

It's not a theory, as Murray himself has openly discussed it--if you're not in a realistic position to make the playoffs, then you engage in roster manipulation to impact the draft.

I always find it interesting when two reasonably fair and intelligent people can hear the same thing but not hear the same thing. I'm not saying you are wrong and I am right but I felt as though TPegs was telling TM to be patient and that things don't happen overnight.

That's assuming I am intelligent.. :flirt:

I will be honest, I half listened to the Pegula comment, and paid more attention to what TM said about what his job is at the present time. You're right after listening to it over, it sounds like TPegs is onboard with being patient.

To the first part: drafting a LHD outside of the very top of the draft means they likely won't hit the pros for 2-3 years. Having a big-time impact at that point is another thing.

Second: childishness aside I never said they always draft BPA. I said they don't go for immediate need outside of the very top. If the prospect pool is lacking dman then they'll lean that way if the talent is close but they aren't going to be sitting at 24 and think "hmmm we need a top four dman so we definitely need to go dman here."

Guess it's a good thing I never said "hmmm we need a top four dman so we definitely need to go dman here." about them taking a LHD. I just listed some who would be available in the first round where we possess 3 picks currently.

Guess it's a good thing I never said "hmmm we need a top four dman so we definitely need to go dman here." about them taking a LHD. I just listed some who would be available in the first round where we possess 3 picks currently.

You said that Murray could replace Myers in the first round this year. That won't be how he's thinking and that's simply not true.

That's like saying Jhonas Enroth replaced Marty Biron.

You said that Murray could replace Myers in the first round this year. That won't be how he's thinking and that's simply not true.

That's like saying Jhonas Enroth replaced Marty Biron.

So not only do you know how Murray thinks but you also know how players from the first round will be like in 3 years. Impressive.

"Just saying that if Murray wanted to trade Myers and replace him with a LHD... he could do it in the first round of this draft. Provorov would fit. If Jakub Zboril keeps going he could be a really good #2 guy. Murray has options in the draft if he chose to move Myers."

Again if Murray wanted to move Myers he could add a player to replace him at the draft. If I am not mistaken every player in the NHL gets replaced by someone from the Draft eventually. Not saying that is his plan. Not saying he has to replace him at the draft. But hell let's continue to make a mountain out of fly crap. If Murray wants to move Myers the upcoming draft has defensive talent he could pick up to "eventually" (sorry I didn't spell it out for everyone, my ########## bad) replace the LHD he traded away.

Here's one thing we DO know: Zadorov reported over weight and out of shape. He was benched during the prospects tourney. Then he was glued to the press box for the first month and a half. Did we hear a peep out of him? No. Instead he was challenged by the staff, worked his ass off, and is now showing why he was a 1st round pick. None of that speaks to a player that wants out, is unhappy, or has motivation issues. Quite the contrary.

And he's very generous with pucks for little kids during pregame skates.

GO BILLS!!!

He was being sarcastic you hoser.

It's not a theory, as Murray himself has openly discussed it--if you're not in a realistic position to make the playoffs, then you engage in roster manipulation to impact the draft.

There's a big difference between trading guys on expiring contracts at the deadline and thereby weakening the team for the remainder of that season and dumping the team's 24-year-old #1 defenseman and ice time leader who is on a long-term contract at a good cap hit.

Do you think TM is going to trade Myers in order to improve drafting position?

I think it's ridiculous on its face.

Sabres aren't trading Myers. We are not getting McEichel. I know I am bursting your balloon. This thread should be restricted to discussions that have a realistic chance of happening.. The following players have a decent chance of being moved.

Stewart

Stafford

Enroth or Neuwirth

Benoit

Mezzaros

Hodgson

Foligno

Can't see Myers getting traded this year unless HE's part of a package and they're bringing back a true high end 1st liner.

He'll turn 25 this year (I.e. about ready to enter his prime) is signed for a reasonable price long term, and since middle of last year has shown a lot of signs of 'getting it.' (I'd go so far as to say, he does get it.) With 2 of next year's top 4 pencilled in being essentially sophomores next year (anyone have any concerns of the too-common sophomore slump?), it doesn't make sense to send him out for a package of players. They have a truckload of prospects in house; what they need are guys that can play well at the NHL next year and for the foreseeable future. Myers fits that billing IMHO. Since he IS something they need (and not someone that could develop into something they need), I've not yet heard (read) a compelling argument to send him packing.

Additionally, since it usually takes D longer to develop than forwards, doesn't it make sense to have key components of your top 4 to be a bit older than your forwards?

Edited by Taro T

Sabres aren't trading Myers. We are not getting McEichel. I know I am bursting your balloon. This thread should be restricted to discussions that have a realistic chance of happening.. The following players have a decent chance of being moved.

Stewart

Stafford

Enroth or Neuwirth

Benoit

Mezzaros

Hodgson

Foligno

I think respected sports outlets reporting on legitimate conversations they had with insders about Myers being traded to Detroit is enough to warrant discussion on an internet message board.

This isn't an (E5)

There's a big difference between trading guys on expiring contracts at the deadline and thereby weakening the team for the remainder of that season and dumping the team's 24-year-old #1 defenseman and ice time leader who is on a long-term contract at a good cap hit.

Do you think TM is going to trade Myers in order to improve drafting position?

I think it's ridiculous on its face.

Agreed that there's a big difference. But there's also a big difference between trading the team's current leader in ice time and expecting the team's current leader in ice time to be planned for that role going forward. As unconscionable as you may find it, I have no problem believing Murray would trade Myers if he thought it was in the franchise's long-term interest, whether that's due to tanking or due to the specific package we were getting back in return. If Murray actually believes that securing McEichel (plus whatever we got in return for Myers) is going to pay larger dividends than keeping Myers and landing say Strome in the draft, I don't see why it's hard to believe he'd pull the trigger. And that's really the point: it's not just Myers for the tank, it's the tank and what we get in return for him. Sorry, but there's nothing "ridiculous on its face" about that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.