GDT: Columbus vs Buffalo, 7pm

wjag

They owe it to the fans, sure, but what if the fans want the team to suck? I would say the number of Sabres fans wanting the team to suck is somewhere around 40/50%. That kind of throws a wrench into it all.

If they owe me then they're doing it right. (And yea, I am a financially contributing fan. I plan on attending some games this year and buying a new jersey soon).

They owe it to the fans, sure, but what if the fans want the team to suck? I would say the number of Sabres fans wanting the team to suck is somewhere around 40/50%. That kind of throws a wrench into it all.

If they owe me then they're doing it right. (And yea, I am a financially contributing fan. I plan on attending some games this year and buying a new jersey soon).

No way its 40-50%. The people on this board are the die hards. Maybe on here it is 50/50 at best. The casual fan wants a good product. The Dad who is taking his family to the game wants a good product. Not much fun to drop $300+ on a one goal scored nightly beatdown. I have countless friends who have lost all interest and refuse to go to games. I used to come up there 2-3 times a year and go to games. Nobody i know goes anymore.

No way its 40-50%. The people on this board are the die hards. Maybe on here it is 50/50 at best. The casual fan wants a good product. The Dad who is taking his family to the game wants a good product. Not much fun to drop $300+ on a one goal scored nightly beatdown. I have countless friends who have lost all interest and refuse to go to games. I used to come up there 2-3 times a year and go to games. Nobody i know goes anymore.

Search on twitter things like "Sabres McDavid" and other tank-related things. People all over the place are in on the tank. It's quite shocking to me. I didn't expect casual fans to jump on, but I guess this one is really obvious and public at this point.

I am so sick of this. Tank, McEichle, lottery picks, blah blah blah. This is what a once proud franchise has resorted to. We are better than this.

And please spare me with the"its better then mediocrity and first round exits". No its not. 2 1/2 years AT LEAST of this ###### IS NOT better than looking forward to opening night and enjoying 7+ months of meaningful hockey.

Hoping that at the end of 6 months we are in last or second to last place is embarrassing to both the franchise and the fans.

This won't be a nightly rant. I won't be watching that long. Getting to the point i could care less what happens next June, next year, or 5 years from now. I lost my passion for the Bills awhile ago. Feel it happening with this joke as well.

We are what our record is....and it is better than first round exits. This is meaningful. It is a barometer of where we are. Edited by 3putt

Completely agree with you guys regarding the media discussing it with players. However when nucci and some others strongly state their opinions of what they think of pro tankers then I don't feel so bad bringing it up. I guess I'll try keeping this taboo topic out of gdt. Last word is I hope some that don't believe in the tank realize that pro tankers are not bad fans and want what you ultimately want, a stanly cup in buffalo.

Actively rooting for your team to lose verse accepting they will bad and have fun watching them anyways are two different things. But again, just keep tank talk out of GDTs. It's more than fair I think

I agree. It's the vocal minority that makes the tank seem relevant. No way it's 40-50. And I really don't want to see it talked about every single game. If it becomes a common theme in GDT's, I'll just back off on coming here. I know some would applaud that.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Nolan stating he was unhappy with team's effort. I thought they tried plenty, they just aren't good.

Yup.

And by the way, I suspect had Gionta not taken that stupid penalty and we scored on the PP, the tone here would be a helluvalot different. It's one game and there's a sniff of the Twobillsdrive preseason floating around this thread.

Most of you know we are going to be better this year, but we aren't going to be a lot better.

That's going to suck for those who need to win more than they lose to enjoy hockey.

And it could also suck for those who just want to finish last.

I think a lot of people on both sides are going to be disappointed.

Edited by dudacek

Right there with you. Ill just try to do it in a fair way for those who don't want to hear it too much.

Though I am pro-tank can these idiot reporters stop asking the players about it? Jesus that ###### is stupid.

And with me, yeah its completely demoralizing as a player to keep hearing about the tank for Mceichel, like these guys don't matter.

Still i want to see some Wins this year to though, and see this group take the next step.

Actively rooting for your team to lose verse accepting they will bad and have fun watching them anyways are two different things. But again, just keep tank talk out of GDTs. It's more than fair I think

The tank talk isn't going to disappear from the GDTs. It just won't happen. And it shouldn't. We're fans, too, here to discuss what we feel the games mean for the team.

However, I do think doing things like "YEA COLUMBUS SCORED!!!!! WAY TO GO ATKINSON" and other obnoxious things like that should be kept out. As it was said earlier: saying something before and/or after the game about the tank intentions and results is fine. Openly and loudly doing it throughout the game is just being a douche.

I have to agree with tank. I live out in Las Vegas and have tickets to both Buffalo games in Los Angeles and Anaheim. Does it suck that they are going through this? Hell Yes it does but this was all started by Regier and Murray inherited this mess. He knew what he was getting into. It's almost like an expansion squad except they are loaded with picks and prospects. I'm really excited for the future and if we land McDavid or Eichel this group of youngsters are going to be exciting to watch. Let's face it, I have been following Sabres hockey for a long time and the year they lost to Dallas they were exciting but were outgunned by a stronger offensive team. I actually thought they had the best chance to win the cup after the lockout if it wasn't derailed by all the injuries to the defense and Tim Connolly who I thought was playing unbelievable until he got crushed. Other than that they were just an also ran for all those years. I'm all for this tank even though I have to admit its brutal to go through. I knew it was going to take sometime but once Darcy started the tear down it was going all in about the total rebuild of the new core. This draft is crucial. With 5 picks in the first two rounds should really help. I still think it's going to be one more year after this and then you will see possibly a playoff team and a squad filled with exciting players.

Yup.

And by the way, I suspect had Gionta not taken that stupid penalty and we scored on the PP, the tone here would be a helluvalot different. It's one game and there's a sniff of the Twobillsdrive preseason floating around this thread.

Most of you know we are going to be better this year, but we aren't going to be a lot better.

That's going to suck for those who need to win more than they lose to enjoy hockey.

And it could also suck for those who just want to finish last.

I think a lot of people on both sides are going to be disappointed.

I didn't see anything tonight to make me think they are anything but marginally better or just different. That was a shell of a blue jacket team that was 3 posts from making this 6-1.

This is one game, folks. You have to walk through the valley to come out the other side. Regardless of your position on the Sabres strategy to climb out of the basement, you're going to have to give it time.

Recall that last year at this time it looked like a long, hopeless road with Regier at the helm and Rolston playing First Mate. Most folks had given up on Myers and we had no idea what this Z guy was all about. We were waiting for the first Miller WTF wave, and were questioning Pegula's sanity and intelligence. Soooooo much has happened since then and, for the keen observer, it's all good.

I still believe that we really won't know until December what we have here with this team. Right now we're still trying to get a handle on the lay of the land after a terribly violent storm.

I didn't see anything tonight to make me think they are anything but marginally better or just different. That was a shell of a blue jacket team that was 3 posts from making this 6-1.

I agree inkman, I will also say getting outshot by double at home is pretty darn bad. Zemgus had a great goal but the player moving at him missing the puck if he had played the body on him Zemgus would have been laid out.

I agree inkman, I will also say getting outshot by double at home is pretty darn bad. Zemgus had a great goal but the player moving at him missing the puck if he had played the body on him Zemgus would have been laid out.

That's the 3rd or 4th goal he's had where he got away with moves players just don't leave the ice from. Walking through 3 players at the blue line at full speed will get you knocked out 8 out of 10 times. Glad he's willing but the body won't be able for long if he conitinues.

Edited by inkman

I know it's crazy talk and all, but maybe Z did something to fake out the defender and create the play. I could swear I have seen other players on other teams walk through defenders in the past. Perhaps it actually was skill and not freakish luck. Again, being a Buffalo fan, I know it's batsh!t crazy to think that way, when instead I should always find the negative, and never give credit for skill and game, but that's what I think.

I Just watched it again and I disagree, even if the defenseman tried to hit him he would've missed, he skated the wrong direction.

That's the 3rd or 4th goal he's had where he got away with moves players just don't leave the ice from. Walking through 3 players at the blue line at full speed will get you knocked out 8 out of 10 times. Glad he's willing but the body won't be able for long if he conitinues.

Oh brother. Be happy about one thing. Zemgus scored a disgusting goal. And the 1 player he walked through at full speed, he tricked hook line and sinker. Yeah, he might have gotten hit had the play ensued differently, but we have no way of knowing that. Nor do we know that it would've been 6-1 if that first Columbus ringer went in.

I have not noticed this dangerous style that he's used for apparently a third of his goals.

Edited by qwksndmonster

Typical Ted Nolan game (and team) thus far. Working for everything, looking overmatched, relying on great goaltending, entertaining. It's refreshing.

give up 40 shots, can't get out of your own end and hope your goalie plays great......and can't score....How is this refreshing?

They had a chance last night. The game was still being waged well into the third.

So my question is why did Nolan not pull the goalie? Sup wid dat?

Or did he pull him and I missed it? I was a bit distracted by a phone call during the last four minutes.

Outshot 40-22, CBJ hit 3 goalposts in the 1st period, it was fairly one-sided, and looked a LOT like last year....and this was against a team with several key injuries and whose star player just joined the team yesterday.

Precisely.

Sitting in the FNC, I will add these quick observations:

I barely noticed Hodgson. Perhaps he's hoping Grigo comes back soon.

The ice tilted heavily in CBJ's favor, and that squad was missing several key players (and, I believe, had one who wasn't yet in game shape).

The Sabres appeared to be playing a decent game, given who and what they are. They created very few legitimate scoring chances -- the best one they had was an individual effort and a beaut.

Enroth was sound, but was lucky they didn't get 5 behind him (I counted 3 or 4 posts).

Nolan stating he was unhappy with team's effort. I thought they tried plenty, they just aren't good.

Strange.

My eyes, ears, heart, and soul perceived a team that was giving an honest effort.

Dreger reporting that Tyler Myers is on the trading block with the Wings interested. McKenzie also reported in same segment that Stafford, Mesazaros, Stewart may be on the move sooner then the trade deadline.

http://www.diebytheblade.com/2014/10/10/6954913/sabres-trade-rumors-detroit-interested-in-tyler-myers

Wow that was quick by Dreger. I don't know about Myers getting moved unless Mantha comes back the other way. As far as the other 3 I expect 2 of them to be gone by trade deadline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.