GDT: Buffalo at Washington, 5pm Sept. 21, 2014 (preseason) NHLN, MSG

Eleven

What I saw tonight:

Risto: the kid looks like a lock, strong, smart, mobile, involved.

Reinhart: he does a lot of little things well — moves himself to the right spots at the right time, moves the puck to the right spots, opens himself up for a pass, hustles back on defence; didn't see enough offence though to convince me he should be on the team, but I am not ready to write him off either. I'd like to see him with players who can think the game at his level.

Grigorenko: he seems to have made a big step adjusting to the speed of the game and used his body well; He is forechecking and back checking with purpose; again, like to see him with better players.

Zadorov: he seemed more composed, playing within himself. Didn't see big plays positive or negative.

Armia: the kid has talent, I'll give him that, and he was battling in the offensive zone. I thought he had blinders on in terms of using his teammates.

Deslauriers: Saw a bit of Marcus Foligno disease. I'd like to see him forecheck harder and play the game in simple, straight lines. He was not causing turnovers, or creating space.

Karabacek: didn't look out of place as the youngest guy out there. It was my first impression, and he seems to have a nose for offence and he's not scared.

Larsson: Remains responsible and strong on the puck. Didn't see the jump in offence his game needs.

Overall, the team battled and defended well against a much more NHL Caps lineup, but they created very little.

Considering the lineup they played against, it wasn't a bad game for three days into training camp. The standout definitely was Lieuwen.

I'm not convinced Samson has the awareness, yet, to play his game at the NHL level.

Thought he was looking around a bit in his own end trying to figure out what his responsibility was; I expect that will improve. Even though he's grown up around NHLers, it still has to be a little overwhelming the 1st time you 'play for real' against them.

Also thought it was interesting that Benedetti (sp?) thought Larsson, Mitchell, & Dalpe were generating the most offense for the Sabres as a line. I really was only focusing on Grigs, Armia, and Reinhart's individual play and not noticing how the lines were interacting.

Considering the lineup they played against, it wasn't a bad game for three days into training camp. The standout definitely was Lieuwen.

I'm not convinced Samson has the awareness, yet, to play his game at the NHL level.

I thought his physical play was good though. That's important. I don't want him getting thumped on a nightly basis in the NHL. He seemed pretty aware of other players and was able to protect himself or avoid the contact. His skating definitely helps him with this and his ability to change direction quickly is noticeable.

What I saw tonight:

Risto: the kid looks like a lock, strong, smart, mobile, involved.

Reinhart: he does a lot of little things well — moves himself to the right spots at the right time, moves the puck to the right spots, opens himself up for a pass, hustles back on defence; didn't see enough offence though to convince me he should be on the team, but I am not ready to write him off either. I'd like to see him with players who can think the game at his level.

Grigorenko: he seems to have made a big step adjusting to the speed of the game and used his body well; He is forechecking and back checking with purpose; again, like to see him with better players.

Zadorov: he seemed more composed, playing within himself. Didn't see big plays positive or negative.

Armia: the kid has talent, I'll give him that, and he was battling in the offensive zone. I thought he had blinders on in terms of using his teammates.

Deslauriers: Saw a bit of Marcus Foligno disease. I'd like to see him forecheck harder and play the game in simple, straight lines. He was not causing turnovers, or creating space.

Karabacek: didn't look out of place as the youngest guy out there. It was my first impression, and he seems to have a nose for offence and he's not scared.

Larsson: Remains responsible and strong on the puck. Didn't see the jump in offence his game needs.

Overall, the team battled and defended well against a much more NHL Caps lineup, but they created very little.

This assessment is spot on. I could care less if Weber is on this squad. He doesn't bring much to the team in my opinion.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

I know this guy is 100% heart, but can we please give up on the Matt Ellis experiment? He's a career AHLer and thats all.

Ellis has been a mule for the team and has earned an "A" during a pre-season game. No doubt we'll see our share of him in the blue and gold this season.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.