Sabres name Bryan Trottier Assistant Coach

Campy

Honestly not sure how I feel about having a head coach, and now an assistant, who have been out of the NHL for so long. I'm still hoping for somebody a bit more...modern? Maybe not the right word, but it'll go with it for now.

Agreed.

If I could get anyone to be an assistant coach, it'd be Nicklas Lidstrom.

He was hired by the Red Wings as scout following his retirement, but would later leave that job. When Babcock offered him the assistant coaching job, he didn't want it (Babcock would go on to hire Tony Granato).

Not being an ass but why? He's a big name as a former player but what does he bring as a coach?

He was an assistant coach for the Penguins from 1993-97 and the Avalanche from 1998-02. In his four years in Colorado, he won the Cup once and went to game seven of the conference finals the other three times. According to wiki, he receives praise from well-respected players- he was Steve Yzerman's favorite player and Y wore #19 in honor of him.

Admittedly, his time as the Rangers' head coach was vexed. He tried to implement the trap on a team that wasn't well-suited for it, which gathered the ire of Rangers fans and media, in addition to being lambasted by local Islanders fan as a traitor for taking the NYR job.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

I'm hopeful they get a tactics guy with recent NHL experience in the other slot.

The fact Trottier has been out of the game so long concerns me. Stinks of old boy.

His competitiveness and credibility as a player are big pluses.

If he can mould Reinhart in his image, major win.

I'm hopeful they get a tactics guy with recent NHL experience in the other slot.

The fact Trottier has been out of the game so long concerns me. Stinks of old boy.

His competitiveness and credibility as a player are big pluses.

If he can mould Reinhart in his image, major win.

I like the way he smells though ;)

Would love to see them bring in a younger guy with major hockey smarts to do "X's and O's" that way he could learn some of the other sides of coaching but still provide strategy. What's Chris Drury doing? lol J/K. In all seriousness this move seems interesting and I am curious to how it plays out.

He was one of my favorite players back in the day, but as an Assistant Coach choice... meh. Not sure the logic of hiring a guy who has been away from the league for over a decade. Maybe, it is a genius move, but...

I haven't worked in a histology lab for well over a decade, but I've no doubt that I can still cut sections at least as well as someone currently working in the lab. So, perhaps Trottier (and TN) are more of "character building" coaches than Xs and Os guys. If they hire another assistant with more current NHL experience, he brings Nolan and Trots up to speed and now we have something. It's not like NHL hockey has changed THAT much in the last 15 years. Actually, maybe "old school" is the way to go.

Secondly, what happened to all of the tank talk? If we want the team to suck, they could hire Captain Kangaroo as an assistant. (Yes, and the Captain is still dead).

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.