Sabres name Bryan Trottier Assistant Coach

Campy

Bucky Gleason@TBNbucky 30s

Sources: Sabres have reached an agreement with Hall of Famer Bryan Trottier to serve as assistant coach under Ted Nolan.

Bucky Gleason@TBNbucky 1m

Trottier won seven Cups -- six as a player and one as coach in Colorado. He's been out of NHL coaching for years, but he brings experience.

Bucky Gleason@TBNbucky 30s

Sources: Sabres have reached an agreement with Hall of Famer Bryan Trottier to serve as assistant coach under Ted Nolan.

Bucky Gleason@TBNbucky 1m

Trottier won seven Cups -- six as a player and one as coach in Colorado. He's been out of NHL coaching for years, but he brings experience.

Interesting.

Outstanding hiring.

I think this is what having Craig Patrick on board buys you. Patrick and Trottier were together from '93 to '97.

http://blogs.buffalo...-assistant.html

Apparently, Nolan was high on Trottier from the start:

The sources, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, said Nolan had Trottier high on his list from the beginning. The two forged a relationship when Nolan coached the New York Islanders and hold one another in high regard. Trottier had been out of coaching but apparently was willing to come back for Nolan.
Edited by IKnowPhysics

He was also Wayne Gretzky before Wayne Gretzky was Wayne Gretzky:

Records and Achievements[edit]

• Most Career Games (New York Islanders)- 1123
  • Most Career Points (New York Islanders)- 1353
  • Most Career Assists (New York Islanders)- 853
  • Most Points in a Season (New York Islanders)- 134 in 1978-79, surpassed by Mike Bossy (147 in 1981-82)
  • Most Assists in a Season (New York Islanders)- 87 in 1978-79
  • Fastest player in NHL history to reach 400 Points- 296 GP, surpassed by Mike Bossy (283 GP) and currently held by Wayne Gretzky (197 GP)
  • Fastest player in NHL history to reach 500 Points- 362 GP, surpassed by Mike Bossy (349 GP) and currently held by Wayne Gretzky (234 GP)
  • Fastest player in NHL history to reach 600 Points- 435 GP, surpassed by Mike Bossy (400 GP) and currently held by Wayne Gretzky (274 GP)
  • Fastest player in NHL history to reach 700 Points- 506 GP, surpassed and currently held by Wayne Gretzky (317 GP)
  • Fastest player in NHL history to reach 200 Assists- 253 GP, surpassed and currently held by Wayne Gretzky (165 GP)
  • Fastest player in NHL history to reach 300 Assists- 343 GP, surpassed and currently held by Wayne Gretzky (229 GP)
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 200 goals (24 years, 98 days) until he was surpassed by Mike Bossy (23 years, 315 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 300 points (22 years, 102 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (20 years, 68 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 400 points (22 years,239 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (20 years, 335 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 500 points (23 years, 208 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (21 years, 52 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 600 points (24 years, 187 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (21 years, 330 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 700 points (25 years, 190 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (22 years, 62 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 800 points (26 years, 162 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (22 years, 325 days).
  • He was the youngest player in NHL history to score 900 points (27 years, 149 days) until he was surpassed by Wayne Gretzky (23 years, 47 days).

Awards[edit]

Edited by IKnowPhysics

He was also Wayne Gretzky before Wayne Gretzky was Wayne Gretzky:

[/font][/color]

Geez, he must really hate Wayne Gretzky. Otherwise, I think this is a high risk, high reward hire. The guy had been out of coaching for a while, but was great when he was.

To me he has an Isles pedigree in a god, 4 cup winning way) Not a Pens history. I guess it's an age thing

i believe he makes his home in greater pittsburgh. and there is the craig patrick overlap -- the islanders bought trottier out in his mid-30s and offered him a cushy FO job. trottier still wanted to play. patrick targeted him, and it worked out quite well.

Yay for culture change!

WTF, some joker on the BN board stole my avatar...

Goodness...it's even worse! They're using my avatar on Twitter! Bastage! @Cannibal_King

I've seen that twitter one; I assumed you came up with a new account so that you could continue to abuse Schopp!

Nolan's on a pretty short leash, eh?

I'm glad you're here. The politically correct one will back me up.

He's older, and language has evolved, and I hope we won't hear that out of him. But that word stuck out significantly. I didn't watch the whole thing so I don't know what sexist remark was made.

I also don't know how my disdain for a disgusting remark in another thread defines me as "the politically correct one," but in your fine tradition of ######-stirring for no reason at all, carry on.

*sigh*

they were hired (back) into the islanders organization at the same time. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/bryan-trottier-to-return-to-nhl-as-buffalo-sabres-assistant-coach--report-210341507.html

Right. They were both w/ the Isles at the same time Patty was there. Which is probably were TN got the idea he could work w/ Trots. Still don't see how hiring a HoF player puts a Jak Adams Award winner on any shorter leash than he already was on.

A Patrick hire? Question mark. As Dan Rather used to say, underline it, italicize it, put it in bold type. A Patrick hire?

Ahhhhhh. Thank you for the clarification. I kind of see it as a Nolan hire, but ok.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.