The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

EA sports "Dynasty/Franchise Mode" has ruined sports fans. It's about next year before this year even starts.

Nearly 40 years of being a fan with no Cups and zero chance at one this year has made it about next year already for this fan. I don't know what those words you typed even mean.

With that said I pledge to keep all tank talk this year confined to this thread, please call me on it if I screw up. I also call on all other tank proponents to not post pro-tank related comments in the game threads.

With that said I pledge to keep all tank talk this year confined to this thread, please call me on it if I screw up. I also call on all other tank proponents to not post pro-tank related comments in the game threads.

I will also try and abide by the above.

PS Calgary making an early statement for #1 overall on opening night. :angry:

Nearly 40 years of being a fan with no Cups and zero chance at one this year has made it about next year already for this fan. I don't know what those words you typed even mean.

Brilliant. Anti-tank talk as well. This will definitely help to keep this season from being completely unbearable.

Of all the ways to build a team, the tank is the only one that celebrates losing. I could see a post trade deadline tank, after the season is a bust anyway, but to throw away an entire season, after just having thrown away an entire season, after having sold at the previous trade deadline,… nope. Horseshit.

I didn't want to clutter the other thread with this, but many people picked the Sabres to finish over 68.5 points while scoring under 195 goals. My question is, how? Even if Enroth matches Miller as a starter, it seems pretty clear that Neuvirth is a step down from Enroth as a backup. So we're going to score less than 38 goals more, and allow more goals...yet finish more than 8 wins better? Just doesn't add up to me. This is very much a bottom 3 team.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

You know, I was pro-tank last year when it was clear we were a pathetic team with no hope for the future.

I will be pro-tank this year if it is clear we are a pathetic team with no hope for the future.

But that ain't happened yet.

Last year was miserable. Before you start cheering for that again, let's play some ###### games and see if we've got a team worth watching.

Agreed. The whole thing about a top pick meaning we win the Cup in a few years is as big a straw man as there is.

There is a lot of upcoming youth in the organization and a handful of good vets. Let's drop the tank talk and win some games boys!

I don't think you know what "strawman" means.

Anyway, it will be interesting to see what Johansen looks like without the benefit of a camp. I hope the Sabres keep a body on him and make it a loooong night.

Find me where anyone definitely stated that if we get a top pick this year we *will* win the Cup in a few years. Don't waste your time, because no respectable poster has. But hey, I'm the one who doesn't know what a strawman is :rolleyes:

2012: 2 first rounders (Grigorenko, Girgensons) + 1 second rounder (McCabe) + Ullmark in 6th round

2013: 2 first rounders (Ristolainen, Zadorov) + 4 second rounders (Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier (StL)) + Baptiste + Fasching

2014: 1 first rounder (Reinhart) + 3 second rounders (Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek)

2015: 3 first rounders, 3 seconds

With 19 first and second round picks over a 4 year span, this team should be fine with or without McDavid/Eichel. If not, fire every single scout.

This

I didn't want to clutter the other thread with this, but many people picked the Sabres to finish over 68.5 points while scoring under 195 goals. My question is, how? Even if Enroth matches Miller as a starter, it seems pretty clear that Neuvirth is a step down from Enroth as a backup. So we're going to score less than 38 goals more, and allow more goals...yet finish more than 8 wins better? Just doesn't add up to me. This is very much a bottom 3 team.

I don't think I was one of them but I'm guessing the sentiment comes from the feeling that there will be more teams in a race to the bottom from anybody who voted that way on purpose. I think GMs whose teams get off to bad starts will embrace tanking earlier this year than in years past in order to boost their lottery chances and avoid getting short changed for their rentals at the deadline. I imagine way more sellers than previous years and less bubble teams willing to put up picks and prospects to try to make a run this season.

Edited by Drunkard

Yep. It's not ok if we miss out on McEichle. Could we still end up being a good hockey team based on the prospect pool we already have? Sure. But let's not pretend that we will be a better team by drafting someone other than those two after this season.

Yep. It's not ok if we miss out on McEichle. Could we still end up being a good hockey team based on the prospect pool we already have? Sure. But let's not pretend that we will be a better team by drafting someone other than those two after this season.

Yep, and if we don't land McEichel but one or both lands on other teams in our division then it knocks us down a peg on the rebuild by default.

Well, based on last night's results, I would say debate as to which Chicago Blackhawk rebuild season equates with this Sabres' season has become academic. It's seems quite clear we have a full-fledged tank for at least another full year.

Wonder if this is finally the year that relying on Brian Elliott blows up in the Blues' face. No, I don't expect it...but the hope is there!

If Elliot sucks they will just start Jake Allen more and more. I honestly could see the Blues just missing the playoffs. I have several questions about how elite their top 9 can be. I mean who on St Louis is really a game changing forward? Oshie? Tarasenko? Also their defense is middle of the pack.

If Elliot sucks they will just start Jake Allen more and more. I honestly could see the Blues just missing the playoffs. I have several questions about how elite their top 9 can be. I mean who on St Louis is really a game changing forward? Oshie? Tarasenko? Also their defense is middle of the pack.

And Jake Allen might be awful in the NHL. It wasn't too long ago Jakub Markstrom was the next great goaltender...and this preseason he cleared waivers. So hard to know with goalies.

In the spirit of keeping the debate out of the game threads I'll respond here.

You all realize we will still bad for a couple of years more, McEichel or not?

Yep, and look at all the changes GMTM made to improve the roster from the end of last season. Did anyone really expect him to do that much? Could he have possibly done any more than he did? That this team is going to struggle for a few years no matter what shouldn't be news to anyone. This is precisely why the different shades of bad make no difference to me in terms of my overall fan satisfaction, and being really bad makes a huge difference in terms of giving us the best chance of immensely improving our team in the future. Thus I'm pro-tank.

And please spare me with the"its better then mediocrity and first round exits". No its not. 2 1/2 years AT LEAST of this ###### IS NOT better than looking forward to opening night and enjoying 7+ months of meaningful hockey.

To you it's not better, and I respect and understand that. For many of us mediocrity is actually worse because it's pretty much what we've always done, and what we've always done has delivered exactly squat in terms of why we all follow this team.

And I really don't want to see it talked about every single game. If it becomes a common theme in GDT's, I'll just back off on coming here. I know some would applaud that.

This I agree with. It serves no purpose to be a downer for other Sabres fans in the game day threads, it's like trolling your own fan base.. It was the first game, but hopefully the tank debate can stay out of those threads as the season goes on, especially during the game.

Sabres AND blues lose in regulation tonight. Just need isles starting tomorrow. Tank on my friends.

Good night for the 3 Ping Pong ball campaign.

Tonight all Sabres fans can join together and cheer against the Islanders. Carolina is a team that scares me in the Race to Last. So its a big game and I will be watching!

i might actually go to the game, wear my red and root for the Canes!

I hope by red you're referring to the alternate jersey during the goathead era and you don't actually own Canes gear. Or perhaps it's just a white t-shirt that's been stained bright red with the blood of past rape and pillaging events?

I hope by red you're referring to the alternate jersey during the goathead era and you don't actually own Canes gear. Or perhaps it's just a white t-shirt that's been stained bright red with the blood of past rape and pillaging events?

I do not own nor would I ever wear Canes gear. I do have a red Bills polo shirt that I might wear though. Not sure yet if I'll go or not, if my neighbor gets tickets I probably will.