The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

OK my first post here. But I am not some wet behind the ears kid. I've been following the Sabres from the very start, back in the early 70s. Nevertheless, I would rather seen Buffalo really begin to turn it around "This Year"! See some of those 1st rounders over the past few years really begin to shine. See Enroth, or one of the other goalies, prove he can be the man going forward. In my opinion we don't need to tank, not with 3 first rd picks and 2 second rd picks next year. No matter how the Sabres do this year, Murry can either continue to build with those or he can package those in a draft day trade and go after who ever they want. Drafting for finishing pieces next year is my preference.

In an ideal world, sure. But let's be honest here. Just how likely is that? This team as currently comprised is not making a run towards the playoffs.

I really like your posts in this thread.

I don't like putting all my eggs into one basket. I'd almost rather have multiple 1st round picks in 2015 rather than the one 1st overall. I'd rather not have all the hype that goes along with McDavid either.

i cant imagine you have ever seen him play..

I predict that by the end of this year, most of the fans will be convinced that finishing in last place is more prestigious that any other accolade. These fans will be addicted to losing. The reward centers of their brains are already warped. They shall get McDavid, and already be lusting after the next McDavid. They must lose. They must lose eternally. This attitude will spill over to the entire city unless these freaks are stopped. Let's Go Buffalo!

I predict that by the end of this year, most of the fans will be convinced that finishing in last place is more prestigious that any other accolade. These fans will be addicted to losing. The reward centers of their brains are already warped. They shall get McDavid, and already be lusting after the next McDavid. They must lose. They must lose eternally. This attitude will spill over to the entire city unless these freaks are stopped. Let's Go Buffalo!

By the time they draft McDavid it'll be time to trade Zadorov, Ristolainen, Girgensons and Reinhart for draft picks.

Anyone see Kiko Alonso lately?........

Tanking for a 20% chance at McDavid is like stabbing yourself in the stomach because 1 of 5 nurses in the ER is smoking hot and you are hoping you get her to put in your catheter.....

If the rumored changes to the draft lottery are correct in that 30th can only be bumped 1 spot then a true tank isn't about a 20% shot at McDavid; it's about an 80% chance at Eichel and the aforementioned 20% shot at McDavid.

By true tank, I refer to finishing w/ low 50's like last year. Adding 6 more wins to last year's total would give them 64 points and still a better than 50% shot at 1 of the 2.

I'm still in favor of the Isles taking care of the tanking for them, but am resigned to that high in the low 60's. I don't see this season as a true tank but in a very warped sense of perspective (for this 1 season only) I will be extremely disappointed with 5-10 more wins than that. Get 16 more wins next year and sneak into the dance. Basically, go 2-3 every 5 games this year and 3-2 every 5 next.

When you're not sniffing the playoffs no matter what you do, not hoping for a tank is insane. I guess those extra 6-8 wins over 82 games that move you out of the bottom five and into first round purgatory actually moves some folks' fan satisfaction needle.

Nevertheless, I trust in GMTM to ensure the tank is successful and not do the equivalent of banging Scarlett Johansson, pulling out early, and giving yourself a voluntary case of massive blue balls.

I think tanking is over and our D will be better this year. 2nd season for Nolan, improvement from Girgs with more points, icing a competitive team. The best hope for you tankers is that the goalies just cant get it done. And if that happens then so be it. But I just don't see a flat out tank. Other teams will b worse like Toronto possibly but they do have a solid goalie. We will likely need a lotto win to achieve your goal.

You CANNOT be upset with Gionta and Gorges signings. Yes, they made the team better, but it was imperative to get the leaders on offense and defense who will mold this supposed future Cup winning team the right way. This team would have been spinning its wheels without them. It now affords the Sabes to bring up young pieces the proper way.

Now if you want to argue about Moulson, take a look at what that signing says about Buffalo. A coveted FA who left AND wanted to come back says a lot about the direction of this team. The image of Buffalo is just as important as draft picks because when the time is right, that FA pick-up they will have to make could be the missing piece to the Cup winning team.

I think tanking is over and our D will be better this year. 2nd season for Nolan, improvement from Girgs with more points, icing a competitive team. The best hope for you tankers is that the goalies just cant get it done. And if that happens then so be it. But I just don't see a flat out tank. Other teams will b worse like Toronto possibly but they do have a solid goalie. We will likely need a lotto win to achieve your goal.

I would rank your goalie scenario right about on par with the team's inability to score goals. Those are going to be the two main reasons why this team will still contend for dead last next season.

you are probably disappointed the Sabres won the coin flip that brought us Perreault and all his hype rather then Dale Tallon who went #2 that year.

Strangely enough, he does have a bit of a Dale Tallon obsession (unless I'm getting my JJs mixed up again)

Honestly what is the best that the Sabres could do this year?? is there one person that thinks that this team can make a run for the play-offs this year?? Unfortunately in sports, if your not going to make the play-offs its best to come in last (30th) rather then 20th. the Goal should not be to be "competitive" it should be to WIN the cup.

Those who want the Sabres to come last and guarantee McDavid/Eichel are sick and tired of losing!! we want to win a championship!! and see a team that has McDavid/Eichel on their roster having a much greater chance to do so then a team that drafts 10th next year.

Edited by Crusader1969

When you're not sniffing the playoffs no matter what you do, not hoping for a tank is insane. I guess those extra 6-8 wins over 82 games that move you out of the bottom five and into first round purgatory actually moves some folks' fan satisfaction needle.

Nevertheless, I trust in GMTM to ensure the tank is successful and not do the equivalent of banging Scarlett Johansson, pulling out early, and giving yourself a voluntary case of massive blue balls.

You're banging through a glory hole.....that could be Bruce Valanche giving you blueballs......

You're banging through a glory hole.....that could be Bruce Valanche giving you blueballs......

Nope. We've already slid it in with our 1st this year and Scarlett is there in all her glory. Now we're poised for the money shot with McDavid or Eichel. A top five still gets us a handy. Outside the top five is getting pushed off with a kick to the nads.

Edited by Claude_Verret

you are probably disappointed the Sabres won the coin flip that brought us Perreault and all his hype rather then Dale Tallon who went #2 that year.

Oh geez, give it a break will ya? Don't like my opinion, don't read my posts.

Great article on what we already have in the system and what some of the recent trades brought back: http://www.hockeybuz...sterm/209/61199

We already have the #1 rated prospect pool in hockey (according to both SI and Hockey's Future) and have another three first and three second rounders in the coming (very deep) draft. This team has a chance to be very good in the coming years whether we finish dead last this year or not. Even if we don't get McDavid/Eichel we stand a reasonable chance to be a Cup contender in a few years.

I generally agree with this. I think there is some addition by subtraction this season relative to last. Getting rid of guys like McBain, Leino, D'Agostini, Ellis, Connacher, Sulzer, Omark, Konopka, and Scott helps this year. None of those guys belong on a contending team's roster. I applaud Murray for very quickly dumping the guys who didn't belong.

I still think we finish bottom-5 this year, but I don't think it'll be unwatchably bad like it was at times last year.

How will you feel if the tank goes off course, and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• A) Happy, like a room without a roof.
  • B) Sad, but more like falling into the lava in Mario Brothers, sad, not super drunk sad or anything like that.
  • C) Angry, Like turned up to "Eleven" angry
  • D) All of the feels

I think I the Old Bull Approach will work for one more year.

The old bull and the young bull were standing at the top of the hill overlooking a paddock of many gorgeous young heifers. The young bull said "Let's charge down the hill, knock over that fence and service one of those heifers each". The old bull replied "Why don't we saunter down the hill, open the gate, take a sip at the water trough and then service ALL of those heifers??

Edited by BRAWNDO

I've read all of the above comments and I have a couple of comments/questions. So, you are Ted Nolan. On the first day of training camp, what do you tell your players? "Boys, we all know what we need to do this year. Don't exert yourself..." Really? You just brought in the CAPTAIN of the Montreal Canadiens, and you're first instruction to him is to slack off? Hmm...

These players are professionals (and that doesn't just mean they get paid to play hockey). They all have SOME level of pride. They don't want to play to lose, they want to win. It's very easy for fans to talk about "tanking" (which, to me is as bad as throwing a game on purpose for money). Anyone who is expecting the cosmic tumblers to fall into place and drop McDavid or Eichel into our laps ...well, go buy another Powerball ticket.

You can make your own "luck" - the Sabres have amassed a large number of picks in next year's draft. So, when the draft lottery takes place and the Sabres don't win it, you trade some of your higher round picks (and maybe a prospect or two) for the #1 overall. It can be done (and if anyone can pull it off, it's GMTM). This tanking business is the bunk.

That's not even remotely close to the point I was making.

I've read all of the above comments and I have a couple of comments/questions. So, you are Ted Nolan. On the first day of training camp, what do you tell your players? "Boys, we all know what we need to do this year. Don't exert yourself..." Really? You just brought in the CAPTAIN of the Montreal Canadiens, and you're first instruction to him is to slack off? Hmm...

These players are professionals (and that doesn't just mean they get paid to play hockey). They all have SOME level of pride. They don't want to play to lose, they want to win. It's very easy for fans to talk about "tanking" (which, to me is as bad as throwing a game on purpose for money). Anyone who is expecting the cosmic tumblers to fall into place and drop McDavid or Eichel into our laps ...well, go buy another Powerball ticket.

You can make your own "luck" - the Sabres have amassed a large number of picks in next year's draft. So, when the draft lottery takes place and the Sabres don't win it, you trade some of your higher round picks (and maybe a prospect or two) for the #1 overall. It can be done (and if anyone can pull it off, it's GMTM). This tanking business is the bunk.

Thank you.