The tank is 1/2 over...

LabattBlue

133 members have voted

1. 1. Will you be pissed if the tank goes off course and the Sabres don't pick #1 or #2?

• Yes
    • No

If the miracle happens and we wind up with #1 and #2, we should mess with everyone's head and take Eichel first. We might as well pad USA Hockey's stats a bit all while having some fun.

IF that happened would Murray just walk up to the mic and say "The Sabres take Eichel and McDavid." Seems like the type of thing he would do.

Haha! What if Murray, upon winning the no. 1 for the 2015, decides to announce he's willing to trade up for a couple of picks in the 2-6 range?

At the Draft Lottery Show in Toronto he will lean into the microphone announce "The Buffalo Sabres select Connor McDavid" and walk off the set without another word.

Edited by BRAWNDO

OK my first post here. But I am not some wet behind the ears kid. I've been following the Sabres from the very start, back in the early 70s. Nevertheless, I would rather seen Buffalo really begin to turn it around "This Year"! See some of those 1st rounders over the past few years really begin to shine. See Enroth, or one of the other goalies, prove he can be the man going forward. In my opinion we don't need to tank, not with 3 first rd picks and 2 second rd picks next year. No matter how the Sabres do this year, Murry can either continue to build with those or he can package those in a draft day trade and go after who ever they want. Drafting for finishing pieces next year is my preference.

OK my first post here. But I am not some wet behind the ears kid. I've been following the Sabres from the very start, back in the early 70s. Nevertheless, I would rather seen Buffalo really begin to turn it around "This Year"! See some of those 1st rounders over the past few years really begin to shine. See Enroth, or one of the other goalies, prove he can be the man going forward. In my opinion we don't need to tank, not with 3 first rd picks and 2 second rd picks next year. No matter how the Sabres do this year, Murry can either continue to build with those or he can package those in a draft day trade and go after who ever they want. Drafting for finishing pieces next year is my preference.

welcome aboard!

I want to see a team on the ice trying as hard as they can to win. Holding their heads up.

Do I expect the Front office to go all in on a season that is most likely a lottery pick no matter what they do? - hell no.

I'm perfectly happy with what they have right now. I would have been upset if Murray didn't go out and get some quality players during this offseason. But he made some great moves. If he's trying to tank, he's hiding it well. I don't expect him to trade half our picks for 30-40 goal NHL players right now. I just wanted him to make it look like he's trying to put a competitive team on the ice while our draft picks develop.

Can we all agree that we would be ok if we just missed the playoffs so long as the islanders finished last and stl won the draft lottery?

I don't see any way the Islanders finish last short of season ending injuries the first week of the season to Tavares, Okposo & Halak.

I don't see any way the Islanders finish last short of season ending injuries the first week of the season to Tavares, Okposo & Halak.

But the question involved an if. Do you agree you would be ok with that hypothetical should all the islanders come down with a three month bout of Mono?

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

Can we all agree that we would be ok if we just missed the playoffs so long as the islanders finished last and stl won the draft lottery?

Nope. Maximize the draft assets. Don't compromise.

Can't get McDavid? Better get Eichel. But be sure to have the best chance at getting both. Also, consider later rounds. Finish 29 and 30, and we don't just get two top players, we get four players very near to the first round: at worst, picks #2, #3, #31, and #32. That's much better than #2, #10, #31, and #41. This isn't counting St Louis' pick.

This rebuild centers around building through the draft. Don't give up because you got one (or two) high draft picks. Finish the job.

2012: 2 first rounders (Grigorenko, Girgensons) + 1 second rounder (McCabe) + Ullmark in 6th round

2013: 2 first rounders (Ristolainen, Zadorov) + 4 second rounders (Compher, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier (StL)) + Baptiste + Fasching

2014: 1 first rounder (Reinhart) + 3 second rounders (Lemieux, Cornel, Karabacek)

2015: 3 first rounders, 3 seconds

With 19 first and second round picks over a 4 year span, this team should be fine with or without McDavid/Eichel. If not, fire every single scout.

How I see our prospects. No worries: Girgensons, Ristolainen, Compher, Reinhart. Coin flip: McCabe, Grigorenko, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching Lemieux, Cornel, Karbacek, Possler. Bird house noggin: Ullmark, Makarov, Johansson. Nikita: Zadorov.

Even if we get Eichel instead of McDavid, it still comes out even. Eichel is American and wont have the crosby-esque hype machine attached at the hip.

Nope. Maximize the draft assets. Don't compromise.

Can't get McDavid? Better get Eichel. But be sure to have the best chance at getting both. Also, consider later rounds. Finish 29 and 30, and we don't just get two top players, we get four players very near to the first round: at worst, picks #2, #3, #31, and #32. That's much better than #2, #10, #31, and #41. This isn't counting St Louis' pick.

This rebuild centers around building through the draft. Don't give up because you got one (or two) high draft picks. Finish the job.

My hypothetical is better than yours because we have #1 and #2. Would you be ok with that? #1, #2, #15, and then #45?

How I see our prospects. No worries: Girgensons, Ristolainen, Compher, Reinhart. Coin flip: McCabe, Grigorenko, Hurley, Bailey, Carrier, Baptiste, Fasching Lemieux, Cornel, Karbacek, Possler. Bird house noggin: Ullmark, Makarov, Johansson. Nikita: Zadorov.

Even if we get Eichel instead of McDavid, it still comes out even. Eichel is American and wont have the crosby-esque hype machine attached at the hip.

Are you kidding. When he gets picked by the Sabres along with McDavid, he automatically gets the Malkin treatment. ;)

My hypothetical is better than yours because we have #1 and #2. Would you be ok with that? #1, #2, #15, and then #45?

Mine beats both of yours - #'s 1,2,3,& 32. :P

(Unfortunately w/ Statsny added to St. Louis, mine's EXTREMELY unlikely. :()

Welcome dtaver -- thanks for posting. Keep 'em coming.

What is this Bird house noggin you speak of? Never heard that term.

Oops, didn't read that StL won the draft lottery in your scenario. I'm definitely not betting that StL wins the draft lottery, though.

Still. No reason not to take the first three picks of 2015. It would be ludicrous and unprecedented. But it would also be ###### sweet. Imagine drafting a forward line of skilled players like that. McDavid, Eichel, and [doesn't ###### matter]. Stellar.

My point is, that's like drafting three #1 overalls in ONE year. That hurries up the rebuild quite a bit. I'd say that if we drafted 1-2-3 after drafting at #2 this year, and each of those four kids is NHL-ready, it suddenly becomes winning time.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

Oops, didn't read that StL won the draft lottery in your scenario. I'm definitely not betting that StL wins the draft lottery, though.

But if that scenario were to play out, you'd be ok with adding McDavid and Eichel and the 15th pick to a borderline playoff team?

Even though it goes against my instincts and everything that I was bred to believe...

One more tank.

Having McDavid or Eichel improves our odds of continued success for a very long time, more so than having picks outside of the top 2.

Here's espn's Power Rankings

FWIW, the Canes are listed as the worst team in the league, with Buffalo at 29th

http://espn.go.com/nhl/powerrankings

Wow, and they have 2 of the Staal brothers, Skinner and of course, the Gerbel. That alone is more offensive fire power than our team :)

Even though it goes against my instincts and everything that I was bred to believe...

One more tank.

Having McDavid or Eichel improves our odds of continued success for a very long time, more so than having picks outside of the top 2.

i

If your driving this band wagon, I'm willing to pay my fare to climb aboard. What I wouldn't give to see McDavid in a Sabres uniform via the draft. It would give me some real hope for the following years. Although, with the talent amassed now, the team should be pretty decent in 3 or more years or so. I can't complain about the tank so far, it's been fun to watch as other fan bases drool with envy, well, except Tampa Bay fans, for some reason they have a really good prospect and youth movement going on as well :P