Islanders Watch - Tank Commander II

X. Benedict

They do it by computerized RNG, I believe, and it is observed by some accountancy firm, as if that lends value to anything. It's not exactly like providing an audited financial statement to a prospective lender, you know?

I believe they still use ping pong balls. Quick google gave me this from 2006 which I believe is how they still do it:

Fourteen balls, numbered 1 to 14, were placed in a lottery machine. The machine expelled four balls, forming a series of numbers. The four-digit series resulting from the expulsion of the balls was matched against a probability chart that divided the possible combinations among the 14 participating clubs. The chart showed that the Blues had been assigned the numbers (11-14-13-1) that were expelled.

Draft position aside, what the Islanders are doing this season has to give hope to Sabres fans and the direction this team has taken.

Holy shnikes - good call. I hadn't even considered that.

Howevah. Tavares was drafted in 2009. Does that mean we're apt to wait until 2019 to compete?

Howevah. Tavares was drafted in 2009. Does that mean we're apt to wait until 2019 to compete?

I haven't gone back and looked, but I suspect that we have more good, young talent in the system than they did in 2009. I know that they had a couple of fun to watch, but not very effective "young kids" teams, though, so maybe I'm wrong.

Tavares=Reinhart? I dunno. I think the Isles' surgence has a lot to do with the expectation of winning and confidence, finally, in their front office. Garth went out and addressed, big time, their glaring needs on defense and in goal. A rising tide lifts all boats. A lot of interesting psychological things at play, too. The once-proud, long-dormant dynasty coming back in the last season at the Coliseum, the idea that the future is bright in Brooklyn, Wang selling the team... Look out.

They had a good team two years ago. Heck, they were good last year too, their goaltending was just historically bad and Tavares missed half the year. Their turnaround fits nicely into that 4 year window many subscribe to. The real question as it pertains to the Sabres is whether year 1 was the Risto year or the Reinhart year.

They had a good team two years ago. Heck, they were good last year too, their goaltending was just historically bad and Tavares missed half the year. Their turnaround fits nicely into that 4 year window many subscribe to. The real question as it pertains to the Sabres is whether year 1 was the Risto year or the Reinhart year.

Couldn't agree more about the Islanders but I would say year one was the Girgensons year even though I don't think it was intentional. I think he is going to be a huge piece of the puzzle either being the best third line center in the league or one of the best second line left wingers, probably a little of both. I don't think they will be a Cup contender next year but I expect them to challenge for 8th place and excite us with flashes of the future,

Year 1 was Lord Zemgus.

This season is 3 Anno Zemgusi

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my. That's a huge loss for the Isles. "Depth" doesn't matter when one of your top offensive players goes out. I still fully expect them to be in the playoffs, but it's a matter of where now. They're only three points up on the Pens and five on the Rangers (who have two more games left than the Isles) in their division race. Six points up on the wild card teams (only one is in their division in Washington).

My Isles friend says they have tons of offensive depth. The concern there remains more about penalty killing and defensive depth.

no doubt they have depth but its not easy to replace a pt/game 6'0 217lb Power Forward.

Im just hoping that they are caught by the Pens, Rangers and Caps and end up in the Wild Card spot. An extended Injury to Halak would certainely help the cause. and then go out in Rd 1. Maybe we are then lookin at at pick 18 or so.

Oh my. That's a huge loss for the Isles. "Depth" doesn't matter when one of your top offensive players goes out. I still fully expect them to be in the playoffs, but it's a matter of where now. They're only three points up on the Pens and five on the Rangers (who have two more games left than the Isles) in their division race. Six points up on the wild card teams (only one is in their division in Washington).

what he said

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.